Reading Tutor - Part-time
READING TUTOR - PART TIME
Olive-Harvey College is looking for a part-time Reading Tutor to help students make academic progress, while promoting independent learning and self-reliance. A Reading Tutor provides students with tutoring and instructional support in academic, technical, or career courses with respect to critical thinking and reading comprehension, text analysis, and information retention, supporting their academic growth while promoting independence and self-reliance. Reading Tutors also assist students in developing and improving their overall competency in course work; and help students integrate and apply effective study skills, active reading and note-taking, test-taking strategies, and time management and organizational skills to their specific courses.
- Provides academic support and tutoring to students on an individual or group basis in the area of critical reading and thinking skills
- Helps students gain a deeper understanding of course goals, instructional materials, work assignments, and methods of assessment to improve their academic success
- Provides students with learning and reading strategies designed for specific post-secondary literacy challenges
- Applies quick formative assessments to gauge student needs while encouraging students to think reflectively about their own needs
- Assists students with goal-setting, problem-solving, time-management, information retention, note-taking, listening, and other skills that support students’ motivation to complete their chosen program
- Crafts flexible, yet effective strengths-based tutoring plans to address students’ needs and stated goals
- Helps students track progress in reaching goals, cultivating positive attitudes and reducing anxiety
- Schedules individual tutoring sessions at a college’s Tutoring/Learning Resource/ Academic Support Center, based on students requests for tutoring in a specific subject area, course or discipline
- Participates in synchronous and asynchronous team meetings, tutor orientations, and professional development and training sessions to increase competency in reading instruction and tutoring techniques
- May conduct workshops on critical reading and thinking skills
- Provide ongoing communication with students, instructors, and academic advisors regarding academic progress of individual students
- Completes all required reporting accurately and on time
- Completion of a bachelor’s degree or certification in Reading, Literacy, or a related field. Master’s degree preferred
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Computer skills, including email, Zoom, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and in-house programs
- Ability to work remotely with internet access
- Experience in working with diverse populations of adult learners with varying needs
- Knowledge of reading strategies and interventions
- An enthusiastic and engaging tutoring style
- Must have a flexible schedule.
We are an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Thank you for your interest in City Colleges of Chicago!