Human Resource Representative - Service Center
This position’s emphasis is to provide a one-stop HR service to employees, applicants, and annuitants who need assistance with their benefits, promotional opportunities, payroll, employment, etc. This position also assists with processing of all background checks and tuition waivers. The employee is expected to work with outside vendors to complete employment verifications. Reports directly to the Business Administrative Associate and provides support to other HR units.
Duties and Responsibilities (generally)
•Opens and closes service center
• Greets visitors to service center. Determines needs of visitors and notifies appropriate persons, as directed, using independent judgement on non-standard requests.
• Answers phone calls to the service center. Determines needs of the caller and directs them to the appropriate persons (within and outside of HRS ), as directed, using independent judgment on non-standard requests.
• Opens all office mail including confidential items with the exception of a few staff members. Uses independent judgment to determine who should receive any non-standard items, distributes and coordinates accordingly.
Provide assistance for current employees and students for the Payroll and Compensation department in reference to W-4’s, direct deposit, savings bonds, and time cards.
Provide assistance for the Employee Life Cycle Team for employment verifications, background checks, and background billing.
Provide assistance for the Insurance and Employee Benefits department for change of beneficiary forms and other general information forms on insurance benefits and SURS .
Process and coordinates all state tuition waivers
Minimum Required Qualifications for this position
1. High school graduation or equivalent
2. Any combination totaling two years from the following categories:
a) two (2) years of progressively more responsible work experience performing duties comparable to those listed for the Human Resource Assistant classification
b) one (1) year of progressively more responsible work experience performing duties comparable to those listed for the Human Resource Assistant classification AND 60 semester hours of college course work in human resource administration, business administration, or a closely related field
c) 90 semester hours of college course work in human resource administration, business administration, or a closely related field
Specialty Factors (Additional Required Qualifications)
Education and Experience Preferred
Customer Service experience
Attention to detail
List the knowledge, skills, and abilities critical to the performance of this position.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABLITIES (KSAs)
1. Willingness and ability to communicate and deal with a variety of people.
2. Willingness and ability to perform repetitive duties and detailed work accurately.
3. Ability to work with frequent distractions.
4. Willingness and ability to work with electronic data processing hardware and software.
5. Mathematical ability.
6. Good oral and written communication skills.
7. Good customer service and/or interpersonal skills.
8. Ability to understand and follow written procedures and guidelines
9. Ability to read and comprehend computer generated reports.
M - F 8-4:30
Minimum Pay Rate (Hourly or Monthly) Actual hiring rate is commensurate with experience, education, and internal equity; position includes a robust benefits package to eligible applicants
Priority Review Date
Special Instructions to Applicants
- Fully complete the Education and Work History sections of the application. Be specific on your entire work history, including employment dates and duties for all positions held. Applicable part-time work experience will be considered toward qualifying for this position, however, it will be converted to a full-time equivalency to determine combined length of experience.
- If you have education and/or training in excess of what is required, we encourage you to upload your unofficial transcripts.
- After the posting has closed, your submission will be reviewed to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications for the classification, including any specialty factors associated with this particular position.
- Please monitor your e-mail for further information regarding your application. Emails will be generated from email@example.com and CivilServiceTesting@niu.edu. Please add these emails to your address book to ensure timely delivery of any future communication.
- We STRONGLY recommend that contact information used in your online profile be personal use, not professional/work information: personal email address, home address, and phone numbers. The information you provide is used to make contact on search updates, department referrals and interviews, etc. We must be able to relay sensitive and important information in a way that protects your privacy concerning job search activity, now and in the future.
- ALL QUALIFIED CANDIDATES WILL BE SCHEDULED TO COME TO THE NIU DEKALB CAMPUS TO TAKE A STATE UNIVERSITIES CIVIL SERVICE EXAMINATION . At the time of testing, you will be required to present a photo ID. NOTE : If you have previously tested for this classification and wish to rewrite the exam to improve your score and register position, please contact the Civil Service Testing Office by the posting deadline.
- Required documentation noted in the posting such as driver’s license, licensures, or certifications MUST be presented at the time of examination.
- If eligible for Veteran’s Preference Points, DD214/DD215/NGB22/DD256 paperwork reflecting an Honorable Discharge MUST be uploaded to this application in order to receive the maximum eligible points on the Civil Service examination.
- After testing of all qualified applicants has been completed for this position, the names with the top three scores will be referred to the hiring department for interview.
- Click on Human Resource Representative for more information including salary ranges, typical duties, minimum acceptable qualifications, and testing requirements.
- Please click Human Resource Services – Benefits for detailed information about Northern Illinois University’s benefits package.
- Employment is contingent upon your passing a criminal background investigation. You may not begin work until the criminal background investigation results have been received and cleared by Human Resources.
Link to Department Homepage
Human Resource Services
-Regular office related duties
-Siting for extended periods of time
-Using computer/electronic equipment for period of time
-Occasional lifting and moving items weighing up to 25 lbs
In accordance with applicable statutes and regulations, NIU is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, religion, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, political affiliation, or any other factor unrelated to professional qualifications, and will comply with all applicable federal and state statutes, regulations and orders pertaining to nondiscrimination, equal opportunity and affirmative action.
The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies:
Ethics and Compliance Officer, Title IX Coordinator
Health Services 230
Is Background Check Required
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
NIU remains committed to ensuring that its recruitment and application procedures include full opportunities for applicants with disabilities. Employment opportunities will not be denied to anyone because of the need to make accommodations for a person’s disability during either the application or interview process. An applicant who believes they require an accommodation to participate in the employment process due to a disability may request that accommodation through the Accommodation Request Form . For further assistance, please contact the office of Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity and Education ( AAEOE ) at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Clery Act Information
NIU provides information regarding campus security, personal and fire safety, including topics such as: crime prevention, emergency response procedures and crime reporting policies, in addition to crime and fire statistics for the most recent three calendar years. The Annual Security Report containing security and safety information is available at www.safety.niu.edu/clery or by contacting the University Police Department and Public Safety Department at 815-753-9628 to receive a hard copy. The Annual Fire Safety Report is available at www.niu.edu/clery/fire_report.pdf or by contacting the Environmental Health and Safety Department at 815-753-0404 to receive a hard copy.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * If applicable, have you attached a copy of your DD214, DD215,
NGB22, or DD256 for consideration of Veterans Preference Points?
The copy submitted should reflect the status of discharge in order
to be considered.
- Not Applicable
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Cover Letter
- Military Discharge Documents ONLY (DD214/DD215/NGB22/DD256)
- Transcripts (unofficial with official required at hire)
- Transcripts #2 (unofficial with official required at hire)