Building Service Worker- CREATING POOL OF APPLICANTS FOR ANTICIPATED OPENINGS
Employees in this series perform and/or supervise custodial services and maintenance of assigned buildings. General work with safety and security for all levels.
Duties and Responsibilities (generally)
Employees at this level perform custodial work required in the routine cleaning, sanitizing, disinfecting, and upkeep of all designated interior and exterior building or spaces according to set standards and procedures. They work under direct supervision from a designated supervisor
Minimum Required Qualifications for this position
CREDENTIALS TO BE VERIFIED BY PLACEMENT OFFICER
1. High School graduation or equivalent.
Specialty Factors (Additional Required Qualifications)
Education and Experience Preferred
List the knowledge, skills, and abilities critical to the performance of this position.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSAs)
1. Knowledge of cleaning solutions and custodial methods.
2. Ability to comprehend and follow oral instructions.
3. Ability to read and follow written instructions, directions, labeling and measurements.
4. Ability to exert muscle force to lift, push, pull, or carry objects.
5. Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
6. Ability to bend, stretch, twist, reach, and stand for long periods of time.
7. Ability to perform general physical activities that require considerable use of hands, arms, legs, and moving whole body, such as climbing, lifting, walking, stooping, handling, positioning, and moving materials, and manipulating items.
8. Ability to tolerate exposure to temperature extremes.
9. Ability to complete tasks in a timely manner.
10. Ability to use computers; basic computer skills.
Various; 4am-Noon, 6am-2pm & 6pm-2am shifts
Minimum Pay Rate (Hourly or Monthly) Actual hiring rate is commensurate with experience, education, and internal equity; position includes a robust benefits package to eligible applicants
$16.00 hourly as determined by union contract plus eligible benefits
Priority Review Date
Special Instructions to Applicants
This job posting is to create a pool of qualified candidates for future openings. There may not be an actual vacancy at the time you apply.
• For information about Northern Illinois University’s benefits package, please visit: https://www.niu.edu/hrs/benefits/index.shtml
• Fully complete the Education and Work History sections of the application. Be specific on your entire work history, including the employment dates and duties for all positions held.
• If you do not have the work experience required for this position, you MUST upload your transcripts, for the applicable degree, to your application for full consideration. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable at the time of application.
• Once your complete application is submitted, it will be reviewed to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications for this classification.
• Please monitor your e-mail for further information regarding your application status.
• All qualified candidates will be scheduled to take a State Universities Civil Service Examination. At the time of testing, you will be required to present a photo ID. NOTE : If you have previously tested for this classification and you wish to rewrite the examination to improve your score, please contact the Civil Service Testing Office at 815-753-6033 or 815-753-6034 by the posting deadline.
• Documentation such as driver’s licenses and/or DD214 MUST be presented at the time of the examination in order to receive the maximum eligible points.
• Employment is contingent upon your passing a satisfactory criminal background investigation. You may not begin work until the criminal background investigation results have been received and cleared by Human Resources.
• For more information on the Building Service Worker, including salary ranges, typical duties, and minimum acceptable qualifications, please visit: https://www.sucss.illinois.gov/pages/classspec/ViewSeries.aspx?tblCS_SeriesID=224https://www.sucss.illinois.gov/pages/classspec/Detail.aspx?tblClassIndexID=3646.
Link to Department Homepage
Ability to lift up to 50lbs.
Ability to exert muscle force to lift, push, pull, or carry objects.
In accordance with applicable statutes and regulations, NIU is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, religion, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, political affiliation, or any other factor unrelated to professional qualifications, and will comply with all applicable federal and state statutes, regulations and orders pertaining to nondiscrimination, equal opportunity and affirmative action.
The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies:
Ethics and Compliance Officer, Title IX Coordinator
Health Services 230
Is Background Check Required
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
NIU remains committed to ensuring that its recruitment and application procedures include full opportunities for applicants with disabilities. Employment opportunities will not be denied to anyone because of the need to make accommodations for a person’s disability during either the application or interview process. An applicant who believes they require an accommodation to participate in the employment process due to a disability may request that accommodation through the Accommodation Request Form . For further assistance, please contact the office of Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity and Education ( AAEOE ) at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Clery Act Information
NIU provides information regarding campus security, personal and fire safety, including topics such as: crime prevention, emergency response procedures and crime reporting policies, in addition to crime and fire statistics for the most recent three calendar years. The Annual Security Report containing security and safety information is available at www.safety.niu.edu/clery or by contacting the University Police Department and Public Safety Department at 815-753-9628 to receive a hard copy. The Annual Fire Safety Report is available at www.niu.edu/clery/fire_report.pdf or by contacting the Environmental Health and Safety Department at 815-753-0404 to receive a hard copy.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Military Discharge Documents ONLY (DD214/DD215/NGB22/DD256)