Assistant Vice President of Enrollment Services and Director of Admissions - 4163
The AVP /Director leads a team charged with broadly communicating NIU’s academic strengths and unique culture to prospective students, their families, high school counselors, and others, and above all, with recruiting a diverse and extraordinarily talented class of highly motivated students who will contribute to campus life and will make a difference in the world as local and global leaders. In addition, the AVP /Director is responsible for ensuring that NIU effectively utilizes emerging technologies and other tools to ensure that NIU both reaches the broadest array of applicants and processes applications in an efficient and expeditious manner.
Duties and Responsibilities (generally)
Fully committed to the success of students, the AVP /Director will be an experienced, skilled, and student-centered leader with significant experience and expertise in current and emerging enrollment and higher education trends and best practices. The AVP /Director will not only display exceptional administrative, managerial, and financial acumen within the context of a large, complex organization but will also reflect decisions and behaviors rooted in the advancement of access, equity, diversity, and inclusion. In addition, the ideal candidate will possess the following professional qualifications and personal characteristics:
• Student centeredness: Commitment to the student populations that NIU serves as well as the willingness to always put students first; genuine interest in engaging with students and serving as an advocate for student interests.
• Support for student success: Understanding of student needs, interests, and challenges in order to support recruitment and admission practices.
• Budget and resource management: Effective financial and organizational management experience; resource allocation experience and the ability to address fiscal constraints collaboratively and creatively.
• Ability to establish collaborative partnerships: Proven skill in fostering collaborative, consultative, and meaningful partnerships between enrollment services and university constituents.
• Commitment to diversity and inclusion: Demonstrated commitment to addressing issues of social justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion within a diverse student population as well as with a range of professional staff, faculty, families, senior administrative colleagues, other university constituents, and external organizations.
• Knowledge of the higher education landscape: Ability to formulate and shape strategic focus, thinking, and planning within the broader context of the state and national higher education landscape.
• Change management: Achievement in fostering change management, process improvement, and the development and implementation of data-informed, effective, and efficient policies and processes.
• Staff leadership and management: A clear commitment to the mentoring of a diverse and talented staff and investment in their ongoing professional development.
Minimum Required Qualifications for this position
• Bachelor’s degree.
• Proven record of success in recruitment along with at least 5 years of significant progressive responsibility in college recruitment and admissions, or closely related enrollment management area.
• Three years of supervisory experience of a diverse staff, including hiring, evaluation, supervision, motivation, and training of professional staff, graduate students, and undergraduate students.
• Working knowledge of the admission process, including recruitment/yield strategies, territory management, customer relationship management ( CRM ) software, admission cycle, and application processing.
• Demonstrated commitment and success recruiting students from diverse and traditionally underrepresented backgrounds which includes, but is not limited to, students of color, undocumented students, first-generation college students and students from marginalized gender identities.
• Superior communication, organizational, and interpersonal skills, including the ability to serve as an articulate spokesperson for the mission, values and goals of the institution.
• Ability to establish collegial relationships with diverse students, staff, faculty, administrators, and the community.
• Demonstrated experience in facilitating organizational development and change.
• Competency for analyzing related data and assessing programming activities as part of strategic enrollment planning.
• Possess the following skills and attributes: proven leadership skills; ability to handle multiple projects and processes simultaneously; strong attention to detail; student-oriented attitude; professionalism; strong work ethic; ability to work at a fast pace; adaptability; strong problem solving skills; and willingness to continually learn and improve.
• Experience with budget development and management.
• Valid driver’s license and successful criminal history background check.
Specialty Factors (Additional Required Qualifications)
Education and Experience Preferred
• Master’s degree in Higher Education Administration, Communications, Marketing, Business, or closely related field.
• Demonstrated experience working with Slate ( CRM ), PeopleSoft and OnBase software platforms.
• Demonstrated experience developing and executing holistic review admission processes.
• Demonstrated understanding of innovative uses of technology and media in recruitment and admission processes.
• Demonstrated understanding of best practices in marketing/communicating to unique student populations and other student influencers.
• Demonstrated experience with successful recruitment practices in Illinois and the greater Chicago area.
• Demonstrated experience with successful practices recruiting non-resident students.
List the knowledge, skills, and abilities critical to the performance of this position.
Personal qualities: Imagination and creativity; willingness to be open, engaging, and transparent; highest ethical values and principles in personal and professional endeavors; highly refined active listening and effective communication skills; and capacity for effective conflict resolution and mediation.
8:00 am - 4:30 pm
Minimum Pay Rate (Hourly or Monthly) Actual hiring rate is commensurate with experience, education, and internal equity; position includes a robust benefits package to eligible applicants
Commensurate with experience and qualifications
Priority Review Date
Special Instructions to Applicants
Procedure for Candidacy
Candidates should provide a resume, letter of application and at least three (3) professional references that address the responsibilities and requirements described in this position announcement.
Inquiries, nominations, and applications are invited. For full consideration, applicant materials should be received by December 18, 2020. To view a full leadership profile, offer a nomination or directly apply for the position, please visit https://www.niu.edu/work-at-niu/emmc/. All application materials should be submitted using NIU’s employment portal.
Link to Department Homepage
The successful candidate will lead an admissions organization in continuing the institution’s record for improving the academic profile and diversity of its entering classes, using advanced and innovative recruitment technology and techniques.
Periods of intensive travel, including weekends and evenings required.
In accordance with applicable statutes and regulations, NIU is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, religion, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, political affiliation, or any other factor unrelated to professional qualifications, and will comply with all applicable federal and state statutes, regulations and orders pertaining to nondiscrimination, equal opportunity and affirmative action.
The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies:
Ethics and Compliance Officer, Title IX Coordinator
Health Services 230
Is Background Check Required
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
NIU remains committed to ensuring that its recruitment and application procedures include full opportunities for applicants with disabilities. Employment opportunities will not be denied to anyone because of the need to make accommodations for a person’s disability during either the application or interview process. An applicant who believes they require an accommodation to participate in the employment process due to a disability may request that accommodation through the Accommodation Request Form . For further assistance, please contact the office of Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity and Education ( AAEOE ) at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Clery Act Information
NIU provides information regarding campus security, personal and fire safety, including topics such as: crime prevention, emergency response procedures and crime reporting policies, in addition to crime and fire statistics for the most recent three calendar years. The Annual Security Report containing security and safety information is available at www.safety.niu.edu/clery or by contacting the University Police Department and Public Safety Department at 815-753-9628 to receive a hard copy. The Annual Fire Safety Report is available at www.niu.edu/clery/fire_report.pdf or by contacting the Environmental Health and Safety Department at 815-753-0404 to receive a hard copy.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Cover Letter
- List of at least 3 References
- Military Discharge Documents ONLY (DD214/DD215/NGB22/DD256)
- Transcripts (unofficial with official required at hire)
- Transcripts #2 (unofficial with official required at hire)
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in DeKalb
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in DeKalb
- Affirmative Action & Equal Opportunity Not specified Full Time jobs in DeKalb
- Student Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in DeKalb
- Admissions, Enrollment, Retention & Registrar Not specified Full Time jobs in DeKalb