IT Technical Associate
IIRC’s IT Technical Associates are the policy professionals who interpret client needs, policy outcomes, and associated data requirements to maintain the high standards and public utility of the Interactive Report Card and associated project services. Web application/information managers are
expected to demonstrate high proficiency in the following areas of expertise:
• Demonstrated ability to maintain familiarity as needed with K-12 education standards associated, for example, with PARCC, ESSA, and SAT reporting guidelines
• With direction from lead developers, assist in designing complex information presentations and implementation activities to ensure end-user requirements are met, using high-level architectural
• With direction from lead developers, assist in developing new systems and updates through entire
application lifecycle, including requirements analysis & definition, system design, implementation, testing and deployment
• Ability to work under supervision of lead developers to enhance educational performance data for dissemination through IRC website
• Basic expertise in web tools and user interface technologies to provide user engagement and user-friendly presentation of education reports and information on school- and district-level performance
• Ability to support educational policy engagement with education stakeholders such as the Illinois State Board of Education, among others, to assist in developing custom educational services and
Duties and Responsibilities (generally)
1. Make autonomous decisions to meet project goals, timelines, and deliverables; research available statistical tools and choose the appropriate tool to analyze data, interpret data and creatively formulate the results per project requirements; independently manage multi-stranded
Northern Illinois University
2. Work on funded projects with internal and external partners and personnel assigned thereto, manage projects on task and submit deliverables per stated deadlines; keep expenses within budget.
3. Practice authority and discretion in enforcing IIRC policies, mission and goals internally and externally.
4. Implement strategic technology planning including ability to research, evaluate and apply nontraditional, cutting-edge, emerging solutions for data communication hardware, software, and web delivery for educational systems, including SLC (software life cycle) and Agile planning.
5. Maintain in the strictest confidence the over 8,000,000 student level school records managed by IIRC .
7. Maintain effective interpersonal relations and communications in a team workplace environment.
Minimum Required Qualifications for this position
1. Master’s degree in computer science, OMIS, education, or a related field AND one (1) year of progressively more responsible work experience in IT-related profession.
Bachelor’s degree in computer science, OMIS, education, or a related AND three (3) years of progressively more responsible work experience in IT-related profession.
Specialty Factors (Additional Required Qualifications)
Education and Experience Preferred
Master’s degree and five or more years of experience.
List the knowledge, skills, and abilities critical to the performance of this position.
2. Programming expertise
• Solid understanding of object oriented programming ( OOP )
• WPF, Windows Forms or similar interface design tools, Entity Framework
• RESTful Web API Service, and object oriented language fundamentals
• Mobile responsive design, UI/UX Design/Front-End designer/developer
• Experience with designing relational databases (preferably in Microsoft SQL server) and optimizing database structures for performance, development of stored procedures and other structural interfaces between database systems and stand-alone or web applications.
3. Demonstrated expertise in managerial uses and analysis of organizational data.
4. Demonstrated experience/proficiency in statistical analysis, data evaluation, and educational policy analysis, particularly those relevant to IIRC’s mission and services.
5. Ability to adapt quickly to project requirements for different stakeholders and to shift focus to serve changing project goals and demanding deadlines.
6. Demonstrable skills in effective interpersonal relations, team work, and oral and written communication.
M-F 8-4:30, nights and weekends as needed
Minimum Pay Rate (Hourly or Monthly) Actual hiring rate is commensurate with experience, education, and internal equity; position includes a robust benefits package to eligible applicants
Commensurate with experience and internal equity; position includes eligible benefits
Priority Review Date
Special Instructions to Applicants
- Fully complete the Education and Work History sections of the application. Be specific on your entire work history, including employment dates and duties for all positions held. Applicable part-time work experience will be considered toward qualifying for this position, however, it will be converted to a full-time equivalency to determine combined length of experience.
- If you have education and/or training in excess of what is required, we encourage you to upload your unofficial transcripts.
- After the posting has closed, your submission will be reviewed to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications for the classification, including any specialty factors associated with this particular position.
- Please monitor your e-mail for further information regarding your application. Emails will be generated from email@example.com and CivilServiceTesting@niu.edu. Please add these emails to your address book to ensure timely delivery of any future communication.
- We STRONGLY recommend that contact information used in your online profile be personal use, not professional/work information: personal email address, home address, and phone numbers. The information you provide is used to make contact on search updates, department referrals and interviews, etc. We must be able to relay sensitive and important information in a way that protects your privacy concerning job search activity, now and in the future.
- The Civil Service examination for this classification is a Credentials Assessment, and is based on your application materials as submitted for this posting. If you meet the minimum required qualifications for this position, you will receive a score based on your education and experience, and your name will be placed on the active employment register. After the application deadline, the names within the top three scores will be referred to the hiring department for interview.
- Once this position has been filled, all names will be removed from the employment register in accordance with State Universities Civil Service System rule 250.60(h)(10) .
- If eligible for Veteran’s Preference Points, DD214/DD215/NGB22/DD256 paperwork reflecting an Honorable Discharge MUST be uploaded to this application in order to receive the maximum eligible points on the Civil Service examination.
- Click on IT Technical Associate for more information including salary ranges, typical duties, minimum acceptable qualifications, and testing requirements.
- Please click Human Resource Services – Benefits for detailed information about Northern Illinois University’s benefits package.
- Employment is contingent upon your passing a criminal background investigation. You may not begin work until the criminal background investigation results have been received and cleared by Human Resources.
Link to Department Homepage
This is a part time position
In accordance with applicable statutes and regulations, NIU is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, religion, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, political affiliation, or any other factor unrelated to professional qualifications, and will comply with all applicable federal and state statutes, regulations and orders pertaining to nondiscrimination, equal opportunity and affirmative action.
The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies:
Ethics and Compliance Officer, Title IX Coordinator
Health Services 230
Is Background Check Required
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
NIU remains committed to ensuring that its recruitment and application procedures include full opportunities for applicants with disabilities. Employment opportunities will not be denied to anyone because of the need to make accommodations for a person’s disability during either the application or interview process. An applicant who believes they require an accommodation to participate in the employment process due to a disability may request that accommodation through the Accommodation Request Form . For further assistance, please contact the office of Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity and Education ( AAEOE ) at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Clery Act Information
NIU provides information regarding campus security, personal and fire safety, including topics such as: crime prevention, emergency response procedures and crime reporting policies, in addition to crime and fire statistics for the most recent three calendar years. The Annual Security Report containing security and safety information is available at www.safety.niu.edu/clery or by contacting the University Police Department and Public Safety Department at 815-753-9628 to receive a hard copy. The Annual Fire Safety Report is available at www.niu.edu/clery/fire_report.pdf or by contacting the Environmental Health and Safety Department at 815-753-0404 to receive a hard copy.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * What is the highest level of education attained?
- High School Diploma
- Associates Degree
- Bachelors Degree
- Masters Degree
- * What field/major is your degree in?
(Open Ended Question)
- * Have you attached all transcripts to support the degrees you
are submitting for consideration?
- * How many years of progressively more responsible work
experience in an IT related profession do you possess?
- 0-1 years
- 1-2 years
- 2-3 years
- 3-4 years
- 4-5 years
- 5+ years
- * Please provide the name of the employer and the dates of
employment where you gained this experience. Please note that this
information must be verified on an NIU application and/or
(Open Ended Question)
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- List of References
- Transcripts (unofficial with official required at hire)
- Transcripts #2 (unofficial with official required at hire)
- Transcripts #3 (unofficial with official required at hire)