Account Technician II - CREATING POOL OF APPLICANTS FOR ANTICIPATED OPENINGS
Employees at this level perform highly complex duties that require independent judgment and initiative, an extensive knowledge of bookkeeping procedures, and a working knowledge of accounting principles and practices. The employees work under general supervision of a designated supervisor.
Duties and Responsibilities (generally)
Employees in this series perform clerical duties of a specialized nature involving a variety of practices, procedures, and routines in support of the maintenance of accounts and accounting records. The work covered by the various levels of the series ranges from simple, routine, and repetitive duties performed under general supervision to duties that are complex and highly diversified, performed under limited direction.
The duties may include: maintaining or posting records in hard copy or automated systems; screening, reviewing, verifying, and coding accounting transaction documents; verifying and examining accounting records; correcting errors in posting entries, computations, and balances; reconciling balances, records, and documents, preparing summaries, statements, and reports. The duties may involve the use of electronic office equipment.
Minimum Required Qualifications for this position
Any one or any combination of the following types of preparation:
work experience performing duties comparable to the next lower level of this series
college course work in accounting
college course work in any curriculum
that totals 1.0 unit according to the following conversion rates:
2 years of “a” = 1.0 unit
9 semester hours of “b” = 1.0 unit
90 semester hours of “c” = 1.0 unit
Amounts of experience or training less than those listed above should be converted to decimal equivalents of 1.0 unit and added together when computing combinations of the different types of preparation
Specialty Factors (Additional Required Qualifications)
Education and Experience Preferred
List the knowledge, skills, and abilities critical to the performance of this position.
Minimum Pay Rate (Hourly or Monthly) Actual hiring rate is commensurate with experience, education, and internal equity; position includes a robust benefits package to eligible applicants
Commensurate with experience and internal equity; position includes eligible benefits.
Priority Review Date
Special Instructions to Applicants
- This posting is a POOL posting, created to build a referral register for future opportunities.
- Fully complete the Education and Work History sections of the application. Be specific on your entire work history, including employment dates and duties for all positions held. Applicable part-time work experience will be considered toward qualifying for this position, however, it will be converted to a full-time equivalency to determine combined length of experience.
- If you have education and/or training in excess of what is required, we encourage you to upload your unofficial transcripts.
- Please monitor your e-mail for further information regarding your application. Emails will be generated from firstname.lastname@example.org and CivilServiceTesting@niu.edu. Please add these emails to your address book to ensure timely delivery of any future communication.
- We STRONGLY recommend that contact information used in your online profile be personal use, not professional/work information: personal email address, home address, and phone numbers. The information you provide is used to make contact on search updates, department referrals and interviews, etc. We must be able to relay sensitive and important information in a way that protects your privacy concerning job search activity, now and in the future.
- ALL QUALIFIED CANDIDATES WILL BE SCHEDULED TO COME TO THE NIU DEKALB CAMPUS TO TAKE A STATE UNIVERSITIES CIVIL SERVICE EXAMINATION . At the time of testing, you will be required to present a photo ID. NOTE : If you have previously tested for this classification and wish to rewrite the exam to improve your score and register position, please contact the Civil Service Testing Office by the posting deadline.
- Required documentation noted in the posting such as driver’s license, licensures, or certifications MUST be presented at the time of examination.
- If eligible for Veteran’s Preference Points, DD214/DD215/NGB22/DD256 paperwork reflecting an Honorable Discharge MUST be uploaded to this application in order to receive the maximum eligible points on the Civil Service examination.
- Click Account Technician II for more information including salary ranges, typical duties, minimum acceptable qualifications, and testing requirements.
- Please click Human Resource Services – Benefits for detailed information about Northern Illinois University’s benefits package.
- Employment is contingent upon your passing a criminal background investigation. You may not begin work until the criminal background investigation results have been received and cleared by Human Resources.
Link to Department Homepage
Human Resource Services
In accordance with applicable statutes and regulations, NIU is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, religion, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, political affiliation, or any other factor unrelated to professional qualifications, and will comply with all applicable federal and state statutes, regulations and orders pertaining to nondiscrimination, equal opportunity and affirmative action.
The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies:
Ethics and Compliance Officer, Title IX Coordinator
Health Services 230
Is Background Check Required
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
NIU remains committed to ensuring that its recruitment and application procedures include full opportunities for applicants with disabilities. Employment opportunities will not be denied to anyone because of the need to make accommodations for a person’s disability during either the application or interview process. An applicant who believes they require an accommodation to participate in the employment process due to a disability may request that accommodation through the Accommodation Request Form . For further assistance, please contact the office of Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity and Education ( AAEOE ) at email@example.com .
Clery Act Information
NIU provides information regarding campus security, personal and fire safety, including topics such as: crime prevention, emergency response procedures and crime reporting policies, in addition to crime and fire statistics for the most recent three calendar years. The Annual Security Report containing security and safety information is available at www.safety.niu.edu/clery or by contacting the University Police Department and Public Safety Department at 815-753-9628 to receive a hard copy. The Annual Fire Safety Report is available at www.niu.edu/clery/fire_report.pdf or by contacting the Environmental Health and Safety Department at 815-753-0404 to receive a hard copy.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Transcripts (unofficial with official required at hire)
- Military Discharge Documents ONLY (DD214/DD215/NGB22/DD256)
- Transcripts #2 (unofficial with official required at hire)
- Transcripts #3 (unofficial with official required at hire)