Manager – Diversity and Design Thinking
University Code 10321 University Title Manager 1, Academic Affairs University Job Family Academic & Faculty Affairs ORP Eligible Yes For more information on ORP, visit: Retirement Plans
Recruitment Pool All Applicants Recruitment Type Single Title Scope of Search Local Working Title Manager – Diversity and Design Thinking Position Number 580130 Is this employee on a H1B Visa? Position Type Staff Job Status Full-Time FLSA Indicator Exempt Employee Group University Employee Department daVinci Center Organizational Overview
At VCU, we Make it Real through learning, research, creativity, service and discovery — the hallmarks of the VCU experience. A premier, urban, public research university nationally recognized as one of the best employers for diversity, VCU is a great place to work. It’s a place of opportunity, where your success is supported and your career can thrive. VCU offers employees a generous leave package, career paths for advancement, competitive pay, and an opportunity to do mission-driven work.
Position Primary Purpose and General Responsibilities
A collaboration of VCU’s Schools of the Arts, Business, College of Engineering and College of Humanities and Sciences, the VCU da Vinci Center is a catalyst for access and opportunity in innovation and entrepreneurship through cross-disciplinary collaboration. The academic and experiential offerings of the VCU da Vinci Center for Innovation aim to create T-shaped individuals who are anchored in a discipline and have the capacity and openness to span across disciplines. As a result, students are better prepared to engage in our increasingly global world because they have developed the skills and tools necessary to engage in difficult dialog, to disagree, to reframe failure, and make change. The da Vinci Center is committed to increasing diversity and inclusivity in entrepreneurial and technical ecosystems; recognizing that our students represent the next generation of innovators and creators.
The candidate in this position must have a clear commitment to diversity, inclusion, and design thinking as well as support VCU and the VCU da Vinci Center in creating a university-wide mindset and culture that favors inclusion, innovation and entrepreneurship among its student body. The primary purpose requires of this position, the Manager of Diversity and Design, to provide assistance to the Executive Director of the da Vinci Center, in managing and promoting programs focused on diversity and design thinking for students and external partners. This position will be directly involved in program management, curriculum development, teaching, mentoring, training, and building a diverse network of community partners in support of these activities.
Minimum Hiring Standards
- Undergraduate degree in design, business, education, engineering or related field.
- Documented experience working in support of diversity and inclusion initiatives.
- Minimum of 2 years full-time professional experience that includes direct engagement with design thinking.
- Experience teaching 21st century skills such as design thinking, innovation, and entrepreneurship.
- Demonstrated administrative skills and experience in: new organizational and operational systems development; planning, implementing, and evaluating programs;
- Ability to function independently and as a member of a team in a constantly changing environment.
- Ability to take initiative, problem solve, and meet deadlines
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, interpersonal skills, and ability to work collaboratively
- Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse environment.
- Evidence of a commitment to innovation.
- Master’s degree in in design, business, education, engineering or related field
- Experience developing and leading workshops or training related to diversity, inclusion, and design thinking.
- Experience in university/college settings.
- Experience teaching at the undergraduate or masters level preferred.
- Experience with student clubs and organizations
- Experience with community partnerships and philanthropy
- Experience with ExperiencePoint or other IDEO -based design thinking methodologies and practices
- Demonstrated experience in personnel management and staff development; ability to motivate and supervise staff.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- How did you find out about this position?
- Alumni association magazine
- Chronicle of Higher Education
- Community event
- Email notification
- HERC (Higher Ed Recruitment Consortium
- Higher education publication
- Internal Recruiter
- Job fair
- Job site (e.g. Monster.com)
- Professional association/journal
- Referred by person/employee
- Search firm notification
- VCU vacancy listing - eJobs
- If you selected 'Other' for your referral source, please
indicate where you heard about this posting? (If you did not select
'Other,' please enter 'n/a.'
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Other Document