Assistant Business Manager
ASSISTANT BUSINESS MANAGER
MALCOLM X COLLEGE
Reporting to the Business Manager, the Assistant Business Manager - College functions as second-in-charge of a college’s Business Office, assisting in directing and managing its day-to-day operations including the proper accounting and reporting of student receivables and other revenue; the management of grant and operating budgets; the approval and processing of purchasing transactions, and the reporting of financial transactions and expenditures.
The Assistant Business Manager – College supervises a staff of College Bursar Assistants and manages business/work processes relating to front desk/ customer service; cashier and cash management operations; receipt of student payments and posting to student accounts; review and processing of purchase orders and invoices; and related account and cash reconciliation reporting. Manages the Business Office in the absence of the Business Manager - College. Performs related duties as required.
- Supervises and monitors work activities of College Bursar Assistants engaged in providing customer service and assisting students with account inquiries including tuition and fee payments, payment plans, status of student accounts, and related inquiries.
- Provides guidance and support to staff in reviewing student accounts and explaining transactions, tuition debt, and registration holds to students.
- Works directly with staff and students to resolve complex issues.
- Oversees staff in researching and analyzing student accounts with registration holds to identify discrepancies and validate accuracy of account information.
- Makes determination and approves removing holds on student accounts. Oversees the processing of tuition and book vouchers for third party billings.
- Ensures student accounts in Campus Solutions CS9) reflect voucher status, that Assistant Business Manager-College 2 payments are posted to student accounts, and that information requested by third party vendors is provided.
- Oversees cashiering operations, ensuring proper procedures are followed in the receipt of cash and checks for tuition and fee payments; the issuance of receipts; and the posting of payments to student accounts using PeopleSoft Financials.
- Monitors and ensures cashiers balance out cash drawers.
- Reviews and verifies accuracy of reconciliation reports balancing revenue receipts with student accounts.
- Coordinates weekly cash pick up with armored guard /security vendor.
- Supervises staff providing training and assistance to department staff responsible for preparing purchase requisitions for goods and services.
- Reviews requisitions for accuracy and completeness and provides approval to generate purchase orders
- Oversees the receipt and review of vendor invoices, ensuring procedures are followed in verifying receipt of goods and services, reviewing invoices against requisitions, and forwarding to accounts payable for vendor payment.
- Works with staff in resolving vendor issues relating to pricing, disallowed costs, and incomplete orders.
- Reviews and approved travel and expense reimbursement requests.
- Advises college personnel on policies and procedures for reimbursement.
- Participates in the recruitment, interviewing, hiring, and evaluation of staff.
- Completes performance evaluations.
- Administers disciplinary actions as required.
- Recommends termination of employment when appropriate.
- Assists Business Manager in preparing weekly budget status reports informing executive staff of encumbered and expended funds and fund balances.
- Prepares ad hoc financial reports as requested.
- Assists Business Manager in the management of grant and operational budgets, including monitoring fund expenditures, approving budget transfers and reallocations, and ensuring adherence to policies and procedures.
- Manages and directs the operations of the Business Office in the absence of the Business Manager.
- Performs related duties.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting, or a related field from an accredited college or university
- Three years of work experience in finance, accounting, budgeting or a related field
- Experience working in a business office at a higher education institution desirable
- Demonstrated knowledge of PeopleSoft Financials desirable
- Demonstrated knowledge of Campus Solutions (CS9) desirable
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Power Point) Knowledge of accounting and budgeting principles
- Knowledge of financial report preparation
- Knowledge and understanding of the uses of information technology to deliver the services of the business office
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Skill in using PeopleSoft Financials and databases for financial reporting
- Ability to work independently and as a collaborative team member
- Ability to handle sensitive and difficult situations with tact and diplomacy
- Ability to work within a culturally diverse environment
We Offer: Excellent health and welfare benefit package and long-term savings and investment programs including 403(b) & 457(b) Investment Plans and a pension plan with the State University Retirement System (SURS) Plan. Generous vacation, holiday, personal and sick days, and tuition reimbursement. For a more detailed overview of benefits, please visit the benefits page of our website.
Chicago residency is required for all full-time employees within 6 months of hire.
We are an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Thank you for your interest in City Colleges of Chicago!