Academic Program Coordinator - CRS & GGPS & USFP (15615)
This position is responsible for the overall administration and support of the Comparative & Regional Studies (CRS), Global Governance, Politics & Security (GGPS), and U.S. Foreign Policy (USFP) programs in the School of International Service. The Academic Program Coordinator is a staff administrator that manages program operations and executes the program strategy. The coordinator is responsible for ensuring the smooth functioning of the program. Under the supervision of the administrative director, the coordinator designs and implements administrative procedures related to curriculum delivery and assessment, admissions and recruitment, and student academic and professional success. The Academic Program Coordinator coordinates with other offices, particularly Graduate Advising, Career Development, Academic Affairs and other MA programs, the establishment of standardized administrative procedures and practices for the program. The coordinator must have an excellent grasp of the school and university’s procedures and IT-systems. The Academic Program Coordinator serves as the program’s primary point of contact for all prospective/current students and works closely with SIS Graduate Enrollment, Marketing & Communications, Academic Affairs and Graduate Advising with recruiting, course scheduling, student support, events, and special projects. They meet with admitted students and answer questions about the program and curriculum. The Academic Program Coordinator is positioned to support program strategy. As a touch point for current and admitted students, they gather feedback about the program and the needs and interests of students. They also collect the data to improve strategic decision-making including benchmarking exercises and compiling data from the university’s various data systems and external sources.
1. Program Management and Administration
- ·Human Resources/ Personnel Activities- Working closely with Faculty Affairs, supports the adjunct and faculty hiring process. Hire, onboard, train and oversee student assistants.
- Budget & Financial Management- Monitor and track expenditures, process receipts, arrange for reimbursements following events and meetings, completes disbursement requests and stipends, orders supplies for the program, manage credit card use and records, track scholarship allocations
- Course & Curriculum Management- Draft course schedule and maintain course descriptions. Promote and coordinate course scheduling with other programs.
- Data management and reporting- use tools such as Excel, Qualtrics, Recruit and BI/ MicroStrategy to analyze program data and develop reports about course performance, course evaluations, grade distributions, student surveys, course cost reports, and program assessment etc.
- Miscellaneous- In coordination with SIS Communication and Marketing, assist with writing and updating program faculty profiles and writes interest stories representing the Program. Facilitates periodic faculty program meetings; prepares agenda, takes and distributes minutes.
2. Student Support:
- Serves as a contact point for all prospective program students; arranges visits with faculty, current students, and other resources.
- Directs student inquiries to appropriate resources/offices.
- Supports student associations for each program and collects feedback from students on program-specific matters.
- Participates in student retention efforts.
Essential Functions (Continued)
3. Program Promotion, Communications & Outreach
- Program Promotion- Provide support for key enrollment management events and functions, such as Grad Day, Open Houses, and Orientation. Assists admissions with recruiting events each year and coordinates outreach efforts according to specific program goals. Plans and participates in symposia, community-building, guest speaker and other program specific events to promote the program. These functions may be performed independently or in collaboration with the SIS Events team.
- Communications & Outreach- In coordination with SIS Communications and Marketing and Office of Graduate Enrollment, maintains accurate marketing materials, and updates the Program’s website (with adherence to AU/SIS web policies) with current events and innovative marketing text. Leverages social media to promote the program and build a network with students, alumni and faculty. Administers the program’s listserv(s) and program email accounts. Facilitate connection to alumni by developing and maintaining relationships with program alumni and inviting alumni to events
4. Special Project and Other Duties:
- Collects and analyzes data for program strategic planning, serves on SIS and AU staff committees or task forces, staff program task forces as necessary.
- This position may be responsible for the supervision of Federal
Work Study students, program assistant, and/or graduate assistants
assigned to the program.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- Full Time/ 35 Hours (Occasional evening and weekend work will be required to support program events and activities)
- Coordinator/Analyst B
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree
- 3-5 years of relevant experience
Preferred Education and Experience
- 4-6 years of relevant experience
- Experience in a higher educational setting
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Strong administrative experience, including project management, analytical, and problem-solving skills.
- Skill using Microsoft Office suite including Word, PowerPoint and Excel to develop and maintain databases, develop briefings, presentations and reports and conduct data analysis.
- Exemplary time management and multi-tasking skills.
- Exemplary organization skills.
- Exemplary written and verbal communication skills, including careful attention to accuracy and detail.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and strong team-oriented mindset.
- Ability to provide high levels of customer service and exercise tact and diplomacy while interacting with student, faculty, university staff and peers on sensitive and confidential personnel matters.
- Knowledge of major social media platforms and Internet research techniques.
- Intercultural sensitivity and competence dealing with diverse populations required.
- Ability to interact effectively with people of different cultures and work in a collaborative, multi-cultural environment.
- Familiarity with survey applications (Survey Monkey/Qualtrics), data reporting systems such as Microstrategy BI and academic course management systems preferred.
- Skill using CommonSpot, InDesign and/or Photoshop for web design and marketing a plus.
- Hiring offers for this position are contingent on the successful completion of a background check
- Click here to learn about American University's unique benefit options.
Current American University Employees:
If you are a current full-time or part-time staff member at American University, please log intoAsuccessfulU through themyAU portal . Once in AsuccessfulU, please select the Careers tile which will take you to our internal career page.
For more information or assistance with the American University careers site, email firstname.lastname@example.org .
American University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution that operates in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. The university does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, personal appearance, gender identity and expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, source of income, veteran status, an individual’s genetic information or any other bases under federal or local laws (collectively "Protected Bases") in its programs and activities.
Nearest Major Market: Washington DC
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Academic Administration Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Other Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.