Director of Resources and Operations
The Director for Resources and Operations (DRO) works under the general direction of the Dean in the College of Science functioning with autonomy and oversight of the college and department budgets, personnel, and operations. The primary responsibilities include budget and fiscal management, personnel, operations, and oversight of facilities projects.
This position collaborates and provides guidance and advice to the Dean, Associate Deans, Chairs, and Staff on the efficient use of resources to optimize operation, implements college and campus policies, and serves as approving official with delegated authority.
The incumbent oversees the administrative activities for the college and supervises key office personnel who work on a wide variety of events, programs, activities, and special projects as assigned. The incumbent also works broadly with the leadership in the division, managers, analysts, and staff throughout the university and adopts continuous process improvement (CPI) to achieve business optimization and enhance the effectiveness of services offered in the college.
This is a position in the CSU - Management Personnel Plan (MPP), and serves at the pleasure of the President. This position will require adherence to University compliance training such as: Conflict of Interest and Ethics, AB 1825 Sexual Harassment Prevention, Information Security, and Injury and Illness Prevention Program. The person hired for this position may be required to complete an outside employment disclosure statement in accordance with Title V of the California Code of Regulations.
- Advises the Dean with regards to policy and procedures for budget administration. Reviews proposed budget, salary, and personnel actions to ensure conformance with established guidelines and collective bargaining agreements.
- Manages and monitors annual salary and operational expenditures for the College.
- Provides support to Dean, Associate Dean(s), Department Chairs, Directors, and staff regarding fiscal management. Develops and administers the College budget in collaboration with the Dean and appropriate University departments. Regularly communicates fiscal status and planning at Council of Chairs and staff leadership meetings.
- Monitors all College accounts to include CSU Operating Fund, Trust Accounts (e.g. faculty startup, PaCE, etc), Research Foundation, Tower Foundation/Endowment, and Scholarship accounts for budgetary compliance. Provides analysis and makes recommendations to the Dean on the effective use of all funds to support the goals of the college and division.
- Partners with FD&O units, including maintenance and operations and project management staff, to help offer better response time and updates to the dean, associate deans, and departments
- Shepherds the strategic operational planning of space in the college; Represents the dean to develop long-range solutions and general space allocation plans. Works collectively with FD&O to ensure College space data is accurate and collaborates to perform space utilization analysis and studies
- Addresses general building space management concerns with the Sr. Director of Academic Budgets, Administration & Operations, Vice Provost of IESA, and FD&O, on behalf of the Dean, Chairs, and College.
- Manages personnel work for all employees in the college, including searches, and annual evaluations. In consultation with University Personnel, manage all matters pertaining to personnel - recruitment, position descriptions, performance evaluations, contract interpretations, grievances, discipline, professional growth, and others.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common technical concepts, reports, and legal documents
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference; applying concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions written, oral, diagram, or schedule form
- Ability to develop, recommend, and implement techniques and practices to improve the areas of fiscal and personnel responsibility to ensure optimum performance
- Ability to respond to difficult inquiries or complaints from regulatory agencies or members of the university community
- Ability to communicate effectively with a diverse community of faculty, staff, and students as well as community members to ensure a positive, collaborative culture at the dean’s level
- Ability and willingness to engage in robust discussions at the college and division-level meetings
- Ability to maintain contact with customers and solicits feedback for improved services and to maximize productivity through use of appropriate tools; develop resources that create timely and efficient workflow; and develop and recommend budget.
- Bachelor's degree
- Experience with Google Suite and Microsoft Office Suite
- Minimum of 3 years of manager experience
- Minimum of 4 years of budget experience
- Experience with SJSU financial systems or similar (Peoplesoft, data warehouse, CHRS, etc.)
- Experience with budget projection and analysis
Classification: Administrator II
Hiring Range: Commensurate with experience
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary .
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: March 3, 2021 through March 24, 2021 . This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Advertised: March 03, 2021 (9:00 AM) Pacific Standard Time
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Academic Administration Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Other Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose