University Code 33221 University Title Lab Engineer University Job Family Research & Innovation ORP Eligible No For more information on ORP, visit: Retirement Plans
Recruitment Pool All Applicants Recruitment Type Job Series Scope of Search Regional Working Title Mechanical Engineer Position Number 588750 Is this employee on a H1B Visa? No Position Type Staff Job Status Full-Time FLSA Indicator Exempt Employee Group University Employee Department Medicines for All Organizational Overview
At VCU, we Make it Real through learning, research, creativity, service and discovery — the hallmarks of the VCU experience. A premier, urban, public research university nationally recognized as one of the best employers for diversity, VCU is a great place to work. It’s a place of opportunity, where your success is supported and your career can thrive. VCU offers employees a generous leave package, career paths for advancement, competitive pay, and an opportunity to do mission-driven work.
Position Primary Purpose and General Responsibilities
The Medicines For All Institute (M4ALL), operating under the auspices of VCU College of Engineering, is designed to improve access to affordable, high-quality medicines. In support of their mission, Medicines for All Institute is searching for a Mechanical Engineer. This position will be responsible for the day-to-day engineering activities required to support the Pharmaceutical Engineering Laboratory goals of developing and integrating novel chemical processes and equipment for production of active pharmaceutical ingredients and drug products. Specifically, duties include:
- Design, prototype, develop, and scale chemical processing equipment meeting the needs of the chemistry team.
- Develop the electrical, mechanical, and computational systems required to create robust and effective devices.
- Executing prescribed tasks and protocols as outlined by supervisor in a timely and organized manner.
-Troubleshoot and maintain existing equipment
- Create technical documentation to assist in the commercialization of the product and associated IP.
- Draft detailed CAD drawings of mechanical and electrical designs.
- Conduct structural, thermal, and fluidic simulations on designs prior to prototyping.
- Assemble and troubleshoot electrical components.
- Assist and train junior personnel with complex tasks and procedures.
- Compile results of development progress and regularly report to supervisor.
- Draft understandable diagrams and models of hardware and software.
- Write and debug code for the implementation of Internet-of-Things and Digital Twin devices and subsystems.
- Utilize design-for-manufacture ( DFM ) principles to create viable designs that can easily be scaled beyond lab manufacturing.
- Act as the technical liaison in discussions with current and potential collaborators, customers, end-users, and personnel.
Minimum Hiring Standards
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical, electrical, or computer engineering is required; or training and equivalent work experience at a level that equates to a degree is preferred, or in progress towards a degree (Junior or Senior).
- Previous research experience in an academic laboratory or R&D laboratory is required.
- Ability to coordinate mechanical, electrical, and software components into a fluid design. -Must be detail-oriented and have good observation skills.
- Required to have a willingness to learn and use specialized techniques.
- Must communicate effectively.
- Must be proficient with CAD software and numeral systems required for programming.
- Familiarity with the product development process and principles of design required.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, time management and communication skills.
- Ability to establish priorities and to handle multiple tasks.
- Excellent proficiency in written English and the ability to present and articulate complex concepts orally are required.
- The College of Engineering supports a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment. The candidate will demonstrate experience that shows their commitment to fostering such an environment.
Preferred Hiring Standards
- Previous experience with continuous pharmaceutical manufacturing
- Previous experience with IoT devices and microcontrollers
- Previous experience with MATLAB, Python programming, and advanced Microsoft Excel
- Previous experience working in a laboratory in an academic environment.
- Graduate level courses
- Previous experience in software development, especially database programming and user interface development
- Knowledge of manufacturing considerations for industrial equipment and processes
Required Licenses/ Certifications Anticipated Hiring Range Commensurate Application Process/Additional Information Campus MCV Campus Hours/Week 40 hr/wk Normal Work Days/Hours Monday-Friday/8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Job Open Date 03/03/2021 Posting will close on or before Open Until Filled Yes Job Category Research Is this a restricted position? Yes Is this position eligible to participate in alternative work arrangements? No Sensitive Position No Resource Critical Yes Quick Link https://www.vcujobs.com/postings/104011 Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Briefly describe any previous laboratory experience.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please describe your experience in MATLAB and/or
(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you have experience in CAD software?
- * Please discuss your background with the product development
process and/or principles of design:
(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you have experience training others?
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Other Document
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Engineering Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond