Director, Student Success Center
The Director will manage a team of dedicated student support professionals in the area of academic success. In this role, the Director provides oversight for retention and persistence efforts related to student support including but not limited to orientation and ongoing community programming with diverse student populations, tutoring, academic skills development, academic recovery, peer coaching program, curriculum development for academic support courses, and scholar support. The position involves a broad range of administrative activities that include working directly with students and faculty, developing strong partnerships with academic units on campus, and serving as the primary contact for the Student Success Center. The Director for The Student Success Center (SSC) is a 12-month administrative and professional faculty member providing leadership, strategic planning, assessment, and continuous improvement for key academic support and enrichment programs at Virginia Tech. The Director will have responsibility for the oversight of the daily operations, budget, and staff to include 3 Assistant Directors, 5 graduate assistants, and over 50 student employees. The Student Success Center is a department of the Division of the Vice Provost for Undergraduate Affairs and reports to the Associate Vice Provost for Student Success Initiatives. The Director will work closely with the Associate Vice Provost for Student Success Initiatives in identifying and addressing short- and long-term goals of the university and students, and they will lead efforts in the design, implementation, assessment, and evaluation of academic support and enrichment programs and services.
• A Master’s degree
• Proven ability to build, manage, and provide leadership to cohesive teams;
• Administrative experience in a higher education setting;
• Demonstrated effectiveness in managing academic student success programs and services;
• Prior teaching and/or curriculum development experience;
• Demonstrated experience with assessment and continuous improvement;
• Demonstrated commitment to and sophisticated understanding of issues affecting the academic achievement and retention of students from diverse backgrounds;
• Demonstrated ability to lead change and innovation in a complex environment;
• Demonstrated expertise in working effectively with different constituent groups; and
• Strong organizational and communication skills.
• Ph.D. in Higher Education, Administration, or related field;
• Working knowledge of student development and educational learning theories;
• Experience developing and managing a system of support for student services;
• Experience developing policy, preferably in higher education settings;
• Experience building relationships within and navigating a large, complex decentralized organization;
• Understanding of federal laws related to higher education, including but not limited to FERPA, ADA, and Title IX;
• Conflict management, particularly in an educational setting;
• Crisis response experience;
• Strategic planning experience; and
• Excellent relationship-building skills.
Commensurate with experience
April 2, 2021
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges , a school of medicine , a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School , and Honors College . The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers . A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Lisha Farrier at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Advertised: March 2, 2021
More searches like this
- Administrative Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Academic Affairs Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Academic Administration Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Other Academic Affairs Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Deans Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg