Overnight Security Officer - Part Time
OVERNIGHT SECURITY OFFICER - PART TIME
MALCOLM X COLLEGE
This position protects and assists college students, faculty, staff, and visitors during an assigned shift. Protects all property of the college and reduces the risk of liability to the college. Enforces state and municipal laws and the rules of the Board of Trustees.
The Office of Safety and Security (OSS) supports the academic environment by enhancing the quality of life at all City Colleges’ campuses, providing a safe and secure environment that is conducive to learning, and consistent with the educational goals of the City Colleges of Chicago. Crime prevention and safety throughout the campus community is the primary focus of the Security Operations Department within OSS. Security Officers and related staff provide a range of security services, patrolling campus facilities and grounds, responding to emergency and non-emergency calls for service, as well as other operational aspects of security and safety at the District’s college campuses as well as the District Office.
The ideal candidate must be available to work the overnight/midnight shift, weekends, and holidays. Opportunities to work other shift times may be available depending on operational needs.
- Patrols and monitors assigned areas, including buildings, dock areas and parking lots, maintaining a professional appearance at all times.
- Protects and assists staff, students and visitors. Ensures only authorized individuals with proper identification are allowed in the building/offices.
- Adheres to and enforces state and municipal laws and the rules of the Board of Trustees.
- Ensures that all policies and procedures of the District are followed by students, faculty, staff and authorized individuals.
- Applies force which is reasonable and necessary under the circumstances to protect life and property in compliance with federal and state statutes.
- Appears in court hearing related to campus incidents when he/she has signed a complaint, is required as a witness, or is served with a subpoena.
- Reports all incidents on incident report forms prior to completion of shift and notifies supervisor of disturbances and/or irregularities .
- Operates CCC vehicles for patrol and other assignments, at the discretion of the supervisor.
- Enforces parking regulations.
- Responds to sick or injured persons and calls 911 when required. Provides emergency services to their best ability to prevent further harm or injury.
- Secures access to building and offices.
- Maintains proper maintenance and handling of security radios and equipment.
- Adheres to CCC Customer Service Excellence standards.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Must be an active or retired sworn officer, in good standing with a current or former law enforcement or corrections agency, with at least two years of experience in a law enforcement capacity. Must have a valid driver’s license, current CPR and/or first aid certification, and hazardous material training.
- Completion of a high school diploma or the equivalent, Associates's degree or higher preferred. Knowledge of all relevant state statutes and local ordinances.
- Ability to articulate verbally in a clear and distinct manner during emergency and non-emergency situations.
- Have a valid driver’s license
- Ability to make accurate decisions based on observations and perceptions.
- Must be able to work well with staff and students. Must be able to handle situations with tact, diplomacy, and persuasiveness.
- Basic knowledge of personal computers and the applicable software. Working knowledge of report writing and ability to learn report codes.
- Must be self-directed and able to prioritize assignments.
- Ability to regularly patrol the entire campus area on foot for a full shift.
- Ability to run or jog for short periods during emergency and non-emergency situations.
- Ability to stand at an assigned post for an extended period of time.
- Ability to quickly climb and descend stairs to respond to emergency and non-emergency situations.
- Ability to physically restrain and remove a person using appropriate force.
- Ability to bend, twist, stoop, kneel, crawl, and reach in all directions.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to operate all security-related equipment including radios, surveillance cameras, telephones, computers, fire alarm annunciator panel, fire extinguisher, and 2-way radios.
- Ability to drive and operate CCC vehicles.
- Physical ability to perform CPR and first aid, including operating AED equipment.
- Ability to perform job responsibilities under all weather conditions.
We are an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Thank you for your interest in City Colleges of Chicago!
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Part Time jobs in Chicago
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Part Time jobs in Chicago
- Facilities Management & Physical Plant Not specified Part Time jobs in Chicago
- Auxiliary Services Not specified Part Time jobs in Chicago
- Safety & Security Not specified Part Time jobs in Chicago