Tenure-Track Professor/Associate Professor/Assistant Professor in Digital Humanities
- University of Hong Kong
- Hong Kong
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Mar 2, 2021
- Position Type
- Faculty Positions, Communications, Digital Media, Media Studies, Humanities, American Studies, Other Humanities, Science, Technology & Mathematics, Computer Sciences & Technology
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Applications are invited for appointment as Tenure-Track Professor/Associate Professor/Assistant Professor in Digital Humanities in the Faculty of Arts (Ref.: 503332), to commence on August 1, 2021 or as soon as possible thereafter, on a three-year fixed-term basis, with the possibility of renewal and with consideration for tenure before the expiry of a second three-year fixed-term contract. Exceptional candidates at Professor/Associate Professor level may be considered for appointment on tenure terms subject to approval.
Applicants must have a Ph.D. degree in any humanities discipline at the time of appointment. Preference will be given to candidates who also hold a BSc/MSc in Computer Science or related disciplines. Candidates must have demonstrated expertise in one or more areas in digital humanities, and may have a research specialisation in any field under humanities or computer sciences.
The successful candidate will help to develop the Faculty’s new interdisciplinary undergraduate BA in Humanities and Digital Technology, and will actively participate in the ongoing work of the Faculty’s new Digital Humanities Hub. In addition, he/she will undertake teaching in the field of digital humanities and other humanities disciplines relevant to their field of specialisation, and will maintain an agenda of research and publication, including grant applications.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Teach digital humanities courses at the introductory and advanced undergraduate level, and other courses within the Faculty of Arts relevant to the candidate’s expertise;
- Maintain an active research and publishing agenda;
- Supervise and mentor graduate and senior undergraduate students working on digital humanities-related research projects;
- Fulfill service obligations appropriate to a tenure-track faculty member, particularly in relation to the undergraduate programme in Humanities and Digital Technology;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Demonstrated ability in one or more digital humanities methods. These might include (but are not limited to) AI and/or natural language processing, text and social data mining, cultural analytics, augmented reality, augmented editions and fluid textuality, visualisation and data design, thick mapping, historical simulation, humanities gaming, code criticism/software studies, and the relationship between technology and culture;
- Demonstrated teaching ability at the undergraduate level, ideally in a digital field;
- Demonstrated research ability in humanities, digital humanities, computer science or related disciplines.
A highly competitive salary commensurate with qualifications and experience will be offered, in addition to annual leave and medical benefits. At current rates, salaries tax does not exceed 15% of gross income. The appointment will attract a contract-end gratuity and/or University contribution to a retirement benefits scheme, totalling up to 15% of basic salary. Housing benefits will be provided as applicable.
The University only accepts online applications for the above post. Applicants should apply online and upload an up-to-date CV. Review of applications will commence from late March 2021 and continue until April 30, 2021 or until the post is filled, whichever is earlier.
The University is committed to diversity and inclusivity. The Faculty of Arts expressly encourages qualified persons from all genders to apply
Advertised: Mar 2, 2021 (HK Time)
Applications close: Apr 30, 2021 (HK Time)
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert