Pool - Licensed Vocational Nurse I
Pool - Licensed Vocational Nurse I
Job No: 496468
Work Type: Staff
Location: Dominguez Hills
Categories: Unit 2 - CSUEU - Health Care Support, Health Professionals, Temporary, Time Varies
Temporary appointments may be cancelled or extended at any time. Successful candidates may be appointed from a few days up to one year depending on the assignment. For additional information regarding the Temporary Pool recruitments, please contact HR (310) 243-3771.
This is a Temporary and/or hourly intermittent appointment. No probationary period. No permanent status is granted.
Conditions of Employment
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. CSU will make a conditional offer of employment, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
The person holding this position is considered a `mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Application Deadline & Salary Information
The salary range for this classification is $2,906 - $5,610 monthly.
Under the direct supervision of a licensed Registered Nurse and the administrative supervision of the Chief Medical Officer, the licensed vocational nurse serves as a member of the professional health care team to provide basic and augmented health services to students. The LVN will assist with the preparation and examination and/or treatment of patients by taking a brief medical history, monitoring and recording vital signs and pertinent symptoms and complaints, and accurately recording information in the patient's confidential medical record. The LVN assists medical providers and clinicians with procedures and may provide treatment (i.e. immunizations and routine injections, vision and auditory screenings, dressing changes, electrocardiograms, TB skin tests, hot and cold modalities, oxygen and similar tasks) under the direction of a licensed clinician. Following standardized procedures and established protocols, the LVN will complete written orders for both laboratory and x-ray studies. He or she will conduct quality control procedures on specialized equipment, sterilize instruments, clean and maintain patient care areas, monitor SHC work areas for quantities, dates and re-stocking needs of medications or supplies, and perform various clerical and housekeeping duties as assigned. Incumbent will participate in staff meetings, in-service training programs, quality improvement studies, and Health Center sponsored functions. He or she will contribute to education outreach and immunization activities and work cooperatively with professional staff, student assistants, volunteers and other members of the campus to assure the highest standards of patient care and satisfaction and will perform other related duties as assigned.
Applicants are encouraged to demonstrate possession of the following in a cover letter or attachment to the application materials:
- Knowledge of the functions of a student health services program, including its relationship to other programs in the university.
- Knowledge of technical skills required to perform patient care procedures and sterile techniques.
- Knowledge of current health and safety requirements and procedures for biomedical hazardous waste disposal.
- Knowledge of basic medications and their effects.
- Knowledge of sensitivity with students from diverse ethnic, cultural and socio-economic backgrounds.
- Knowledge of general clerical skills.
- Skill in accommodating the many variable situations related to the physical and emotional health of students.
- Ability to quickly learn related clinic procedures and to handle equipment required for patient care in a Student Health Center.
- Ability to make and record accurate observations.
- Ability to exercise correct judgment within the areas of assigned responsibility; think independently and organize effectively.
- Ability to understand and carry out detailed oral and written instructions and assignments.
- Ability to write clearly and coherently.
- Ability to maintain patient confidentiality; reassure and comfort patients.
- Ability to communicate and interact effectively with all members of the campus community.
- Ability to adapt to changes in policy and procedures.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships.
- Possession of strong, broadly adaptable clinical and interpersonal skills.
Applicants must demonstrate possession of the knowledge, skills and abilities described above; including possession of a valid California LVN license, current certification in Basic Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation, completion of continuing education units required for California licensure, and clinical experience which has given evidence of the ability to work in an ambulatory health care setting.
One year or more experience in a college health center or emergency care facility.
California State University, Dominguez Hills, is strongly committed to achieving excellence through a diverse workforce.
California State University Dominguez Hills is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, or protected veteran status. For more information or definition of these terms, please visit:
Individuals with disabilities requesting accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) may call the Human Resources Office at (310) 243-3771.
Clery Act crime statistics for CSUDH are available at https://www.csudh.edu/dhpd/clery/crime-stats/ , or by calling University Police at (310) 243-3639. Upon appointment, all candidates must furnish proof of eligibility to work in the U.S.
The California State University is Smoke and Tobacco Free. Smoking, Vaping and other Tobacco use are Not Permitted anywhere on University property. Education Code 42356, CCR Title 5, Article 9
Applications Close: Open until filled
To apply, visit: https://careers.csudh.edu/en-us/job/496468/pool-licensed-vocational-nurse-i