Department Head, Secondary Education
Requested Start Date:
June 1, 2021
Normal Work Schedule:
8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., some evening and weekends required
The Department Head, Secondary Education is the educational and chief administrator responsible for the Department and shall report directly to the Dean of the School, who is responsible to the Provost and Vice President of Academic Affairs for the successful management of the Department. The Department Head provides vision, leadership, direction, and expert administration, and ensures the participation of faculty in teaching, research, publication, and community service.
The Department Head may be required to teach courses within his/her concentration area on campus, off-campus, online courses and possible videoconferencing depending on need of location.
- Responsible for teaching doctorate, graduate and undergraduate level courses in Secondary Education along with doctoral level research and advanced data analysis.
- Develops and implements a program of instruction that meets the individual needs, interests and abilities of students and is consistent with the university, SACS accreditation, and state study and curriculum guides.
- Assesses student’s abilities as related to desired educational goals and objectives, in order to maximize student achievement.
- Serves as advisor and mentor for students.
- Manages the behaviors of learners in the classroom and participates in the management of student behavior in other parts of the campus, in order to provide a general environment conducive to the learning process.
- Communicates continually to students (either in writing or verbally) in regards to instructional expectations, student progress or lack of progress.
- Responsible for recoding students’ attendance and keeps attendance registers, according to JSU policy.
- Actively participates in and works with university personnel in planning effective instructional goals, objectives, methods and curriculum.
- Exhibits a commitment and ability to conduct scholarly activities and engage in professional, university, and community service.
- Participates in professional growth and development activities including staff meetings, and in-service and staff development activities as required or assigned.
- Assists in the documentation of student progress by efficiently maintaining and submitting appropriate records and reports.
- Ensures that the classroom or instructional environment is healthful and safe and generally conducive to learning.
- Agrees to participate in extra-curricular activities as requested by the Dean of the school.
- Participates and belongs to educational/professional associations (within concentration) and participates in their activities.
- Fulfill faculty responsibilities as stated by institutional and departmental policy and by administration.
- Serves on departmental and university committees.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Minimum Qualifications:
- An earned doctorate
- A minimum of one (1) year administrative experience such as department head, assistant department, director, assistant director, program leader/coordinator, or similar responsibility
- The successful candidate will also have accomplishments sufficient to meet requirements of the rank of Associate Professor or Professor at JSU in teaching, service, and scholarly publications.
- A successful record of full-time University teaching experience with an earned rank of Assistant Professor
1. Cover Letter
Additional Information: None
Supplemental Questions: None