Welcome to Furman University's Career Site!
- IMPORTANT: Load all documents in the My Experience area under Resume/CV. This may include your resume/C.V., cover letter, unofficial transcript, teaching philosophy, etc. Please wait for all documents to finish uploading before clicking Next.
- If the process times out you will lose your progress, so please ensure you have all necessary documents available before starting.
- The drop-down lists only display so many options: please type into a drop-down list to search for your option. For example: in Field of Study, you may need to enter your field name. If you have no field, type "None."
- If you have previously applied, make sure your information is current as you can transfer it to another application.
- Prior to submitting your application, verify all information for accuracy and ensure you have uploaded all appropriate documents. Once submitted, you will not be able to edit your application other than to change your contact information.
If you have any questions or need assistance, please contact the Office of Human Resources via email at
firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 864-294-2217.
To repair, construct and install materials in the carpentry area.
Constructs, erects, installs and repairs structures and fixtures of wood, plywood, wall-board, brick, masonry, tile and concrete using carpenter's hand tools and power tools; in compliance with local building codes. Work involves structures/fixtures such as roofs, tiles, window frames, air vent frames, cabinets, ceiling tiles, countertops, glass, blinds, screens, doors, subfloors, floors, molding, benches, playground equipment, stairs, bleachers, walls, manhole masonry, shelves, paneling, etc.
Reviews and interprets blueprints, sketches, or building plans to determine the type of material required and the dimensions of the item to be constructed.
Prepares materials needed by measuring, cutting, shaping and sanding; according to the specifications, using tools such as table saw, radial saw, router, drill press, miter saw, air powered hammer, lathe, sander, shaper, bench grinder, rulers, screw drivers, hammers, nails and caulking.
Installs and repairs materials at the site using tools such as drills, hammers, nails, screwdrivers, trowels, grout, glass sealer, ladders, etc. as specified by plans or the user. Cleans the worksite of dust and debris.
Completes work orders by indicating the number of work hours and the amount of materials associated with each job.
6. Assists with training and instructing new employees and carpenter helpers.
7. Orders and picks up appropriate materials in order to complete assigned task.
8. Follows safety procedures.
9. Completes performance review process with supervisor/employees to understand job performance expectations and how they fit into the department and university goals.
Communicates openly and recognizes contributions of co-workers and supervisor.
11. Pursues professional development to keep pace with demands for services and information; including maintaining up to date information about the department and university.
12. Completes other assignments, as assigned by supervisor. The intent of this job classification description is to provide a representative summary of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions in this classification and shall not be construed as a declaration of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically present in this description.
Continuous contact with members of their own work unit and immediate supervisor to exchange factual information and explanation of rules, regulations, practices or functions. Discussion of non-controversial matters.
Frequent contact with members of other departments such as, requesting department, estimator and painters to plan for and to install/repair the carpentry workand to exchange factual information and explanation of rules, regulations, practices or functions.
Responsibility for Final Decisions:
Tasks involve multiple procedures with interrelated processes or steps. Work involves choosing the appropriate option or procedure to follow and applying established rules and procedures.
Errors are readily detected in the normal course of work by standard check or crosscheck.
Reports To: Carpentry Supervisor
Completed work is referred to supervisor for review.
High School graduate with 5-7 years of experience in related field. (commercial experience a plus)
Ability to work accurately with figures, measurements and tools.
Ability to read and interpret sketches/drawings and to interpret verbal or written requests from end users.
Valid driver's license with a good driving record
Work Environment :
Work is performed inside under office or shop conditions with daily exposure to dust, noise, heat, cold, and odors.
- Ability to work variable weekly schedule, as determined by supervisor, due to events, projects and/or emergencies.
- Required to carry and respond to cell phone calls 24-7. Call backs are required (exceptions to be approved by supervisor)
- Daily lifting tools 10-30 lbs
- Frequent lifting concrete and brick materials up to 80 lbs
- Frequent lifting shelves, hardware, etc. to install fixtures, tiles, shelves, etc.
- Continuous standing; kneeling; stooping; turning knobs and levers
- Continuous operating equipment accurately by holding it steady while vibrating, adjusting guides and measures to ensure the desired cut and judging when the material meets specifications.
Job Posting End Date (if date is blank, posting is open ended):
To apply, visit https://furman.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/Furman_Careers/job/Main-Campus/Carpenter_R001109
Furman is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty and staff. The University aspires to create a community of people representing a multiplicity of identities including gender, race, religion, spiritual belief, sexual orientation, geographic origin, socioeconomic background, ideology, world view, and varied abilities. Domestic partners of employees are eligible for comprehensive benefits.