Extension Specialist: Cereal Grain and Field Corn Agronomist
This is a 12-month, tenure track position at the academic level of assistant professor with a 90% Extension/10% research appointment within the Department of Plant Sciences at North Dakota State University located at Fargo, ND. The Extension specialists will provide leadership within a statewide Extension Agriculture and Natural Resources team responsible for providing leadership to create and deliver innovative learning experiences that empower North Dakotans to improve their lives and communities.
This position includes, but is not limited to, the following responsibilities:
- Deliver research to improve cereal grain and field corn production and provide recommendations on cereals as forage crops or cover crops in crop production.
- Develop an innovative Extension program that includes the identification, assessment, delivery and evaluation of educational programs that will facilitate the development of Extension programming opportunities for Extension agents, crop producers, landowners and managers, and government entities.
- Provide a special emphasis on cereal crop, field corn, cropping systems and biotechnology to improve production profitability and environmental sustainability.
- Provide expertise and continuing education training to Extension agents and state specialists to strengthen the knowledge base of Extension personnel statewide.
- Collaborate with appropriate on and off campus Extension specialists, research faculty, Extension agents, and Research and Extension Center personnel to deliver statewide agronomic related programs.
- Develop individual and team-based Extension programs and publications that disseminate information to producers, industry personnel, and Extension agents.
- Communicate with other Extension personnel, appropriate Research Extension Center personnel, and producers about issues that need new or additional research. When appropriate, provide leadership for the development and demonstration of novel management strategies that ensure program relevancy and the ability to guide producer efforts to adapt to changing production systems.
- Secure extramural funding to support cereal crop and field corn research and Extension programming efforts. Applied crop production research will be conducted to augment Extension programs
- Develop relationships and cooperate with research and Extension faculty within the NDSU Department of Plant Sciences, other departments, schools and appropriate Research and Extension Centers.
- Attend agronomic/discipline-related professional development meetings/symposia.
- Travel is required, and perform other duties as assigned.
Advertised Salary: $85,000+/Commensurate with qualifications, training and experience.
- Ph.D. in agronomy or crop science at time of appointment or Ph.D. at the time of appointment in related area with demonstrated experience in cereal grain and corn production; broad knowledge in tillage systems, genetics or plant breeding, variety selection, and seed production.
- Experience working effectively with university faculty, extension staff, producers, producer groups, media, and the public.
- Experience providing educational programs for Extension agents and crop specialists, producers, and crop advisors.
- Effective written and oral communication skills.
- Experience in computer applications and technology to meet position requirements.
- Successes in conducting and publishing research.
- Valid U.S. driver’s license or equivalent.
- Experience with Northern Plains agriculture.
- Extension or teaching experience or similar activity in industry.
- Ability to publish Extension and research results in popular press and professional journals.
- Ability to use social media and virtual delivery platforms.
- Grant writing experience and successes.
- Experience in multiple educational instruction applied appropriately for a given audience.
Applicant Materials Required:
Applicants must submit: 1) a cover letter stating how they meet all the qualifications; 2) a detailed curriculum vitae; 3) a list of publications; 4) contact information (i.e., names, phone numbers, institutional addresses, and email addresses) of three current references from the most recent positions held.
Please provide a one-page position vision statement describing your Extension and research philosophies for this position.
Screening will begin 3/12/21 and remain open until filled
NDSU offers a comprehensive benefits package with includes single or family health insurance coverage with premiums paid for by the university – with an effective date for new employees the first of the month following date of hire. Other benefits include, wellness benefits, basic life insurance, retirement plan, tuition waiver, annual leave, EAP, sick leave and holiday pay. Optional benefits include supplemental life, dental, vision, long-term care insurance, flexible spending account, and supplemental retirement plans.
No Smoking Notice:
As an employer, the State of North Dakota prohibits smoking in all places of state employment in accordance with N.D.C.C. § 23-12-10.
North Dakota State University is an Equal Opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, gender expression/identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, participation in lawful off-campus activity, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, public assistance status, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, spousal relationship to current employee, or veteran status, as applicable.
Veteran’s Preference Notice:
This position is subject to North Dakota Veteran’s Preference requirements.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Fargo
- Education Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Fargo
- Other Education Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Fargo
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Fargo
- Agriculture & Animal Sciences Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Fargo