Senior Director of Development
The College Foundation of the University of Virginia, which exists to support the College and Graduate School of Arts & Sciences, is conducting a search for a Senior Director of Development.
The Senior Director of Development is a front-line fundraiser and is part of an experienced fundraising team that generates philanthropic support for the College and Graduate School of Arts & Sciences, the largest school at the University of Virginia. Reporting to the Associate Vice President of Development for the Foundation, the Senior Director of Development is charged with the cultivation, solicitation and stewarding of major gift prospects and donors of the College and Graduate School of Arts & Sciences.
The successful candidate will have at least six years of demonstrated success in fundraising or a related field and have confidence in asking for 6-and-7-figure gifts and pledges. This position works collaboratively with colleagues at the College Foundation and across the University to achieve the College of Arts & Sciences’ annual and long-range fundraising priorities. The position may also involve volunteer management.
Compelling candidates will be distinguished professionals and team players. They must have a strong track record of securing significant commitments at increasing levels and managing complex relationships, ideally within a higher education setting. High personal standards are required, including excellent organizational, written, and oral skills. The successful candidate should enjoy working with people, especially high-profile donors, be goal-oriented, and work well under pressure. Candidates must have the ability to travel. Ability to be an effective coach and mentor for less-experienced gift officers, as needed, is a plus.
Major Gift Fundraising Activities
- Develop relationships and actively solicit gifts from a portfolio of current and prospective major gift level donors ($100,000+). Manage and create personalized strategies around potential gifts ranging from $100,000 to $1 million+, collaborating with colleagues from other areas of the University where appropriate.
- Conduct at least 144 visits annually in assigned territories. Must manage his/her travel expenses in line with an approved travel budget.
- Actively seek leadership level unrestricted gifts and pledges to the College’s unrestricted annual fund.
- Prepare proposals, stewardship plans, and other correspondence for prospects, collaborating as necessary with the Dean's office, Donor Relations, faculty/program administrators, College Foundation board members, Associate Vice President of Development and the College Foundation president.
- Motivate and support volunteers for cultivation, solicitation and stewardship calls. This may involve managing a regional board of volunteers.
- Maintain in-depth knowledge of the College's campaign fundraising priorities, including academic and extra-curricular programs, and key faculty administrators.
- Serve as Development co-liaison to one academic division (e.g. Sciences, Social Sciences, and Humanities) and have an in-depth understanding about fundraising initiatives and stewardship needs for that division
- Participate in periodic meetings and review reports to monitor prospect stages and movement.
- Develop and monitor relationship-tracking mechanisms for monitoring designated prospect involvement in the University.
Degree required: Bachelor's Degree is required.
Minimal level of relevant experience: At least 6 years of fundraising experience or a position with similar responsibilities is required. A strong track record of proposing, structuring, documenting, and closing significant gifts, ideally with well-documented success at the 6- and 7-figure+ level is preferred.
This position requires knowledge of basic computer skills and programs, including Microsoft Word and Excel.
All candidates must have experience promoting a diverse workforce and inclusive environment.
Working knowledge of additional software utilized by the development office, such as AdvanceWeb, EverTrue, and Tableau, is a plus.
Applicants should submit a cover letter and resume using the College Foundation portal, http://give.as.virginia.edu/employment-opportunities. Review of applications will begin on March 22, 2021. The position will remain open until filled. The College Foundation provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, pregnancy (including childbirth and related conditions), race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
The starting annual salary will be commensurate with experience. The position is Exempt under the Fair Labor Standards Act. The College Foundation offers generous benefits, including full health insurance coverage for employees and a 403(b) retirement plan. In 2017 and 2020, The Nonprofit Times recognized The College Foundation as one of the top 50 nonprofit employers in the country.
The College Foundation of the University of Virginia is a 501(c)(3), University-Related Foundation whose mission is to raise and invest private funds for the benefit of the College and Graduate School of Arts & Sciences. Governed by a 40-member volunteer Board of Trustees, and organizationally aligned with the Dean of Arts & Sciences, it employs a team of approximately three dozen advancement professionals who focus on development, donor relations, and marketing, and their related support functions.
More searches like this
- Administrative Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Charlottesville
- Business & Administrative Affairs Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Charlottesville
- Development & Advancement Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Charlottesville
- Jobs Outside Academe Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Charlottesville
- Non-profit & Government Organizations Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Charlottesville