Summary Job Description
The University's Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action (EOAA) has overall responsibility for the management of EOAA’s Policies and Procedures and coordinates compliance activities under these policies and the applicable federal, state and local laws.
Working under the direction of the Director of Investigations:
BASIC FUNCTION: Responsible for managing investigations of incidents of alleged discrimination, harassment and gender-based misconduct including: discriminatory harassment, sexual assault, sexual harassment, gender- based harassment, domestic violence and stalking where a University employee or third party affiliate is accused of this behavior. Performed in close collaboration with the Title IX Coordinator.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- When a complaint is filed, the Associate Director (working together with a second investigator in Title IX cases) will conduct a prompt and thorough investigation which includes: preparing an investigative plan and timeline, identifying and interviewing witnesses, and gathering and securing relevant documentation. The incumbent will work closely with other University offices and community resources. The investigator prepares a detailed report of the investigative findings.
- Additional responsibilities include: ensuring a well-documented investigation process; analyzing information and working with the appropriate university offices in the course of investigations; maintaining accurate and thorough investigatory files and reports; providing on-going updates to the Director of Investigations and Vice Provost for Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action; and continuously identifying and integrating best practices in the equal opportunity and non-discrimination arena into the campus knowledge base and practice. When acting as a Title IX Investigator, the Associate Director will function as a member of the Title IX Team. Will assist, as needed, with campus training, reporting, campus programming and outreach, and other duties as assigned.
- Work closely with the Director of Investigations and a variety of University and community resources including but not limited to the Office of the General Counsel, Title IX, the Office of Student Conduct and Community Standards, Human Resources, Deans of Students Offices and Sexual Violence Response to ensure thorough investigative process and compliance with applicable equal opportunity and nondiscrimination.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
E. The Associate Director reports to the Director of Investigations.
Minimum Qualifications for
Bachelor's degree required. A minimum of four years of progressively responsible experience is required, which should include experience in conducting investigations and in complaint and grievance resolution. Demonstrated knowledge and the ability to interpret federal, state and local equal opportunity and non-discrimination laws and regulations. A successful candidate must have strong organization, planning, analytic and problem resolution abilities and excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to remain neutral.
Additional Position-Specific Minimum Qualifications
Demonstrated ability to: communicate effectively both verbally and in writing; multitask and meet sensitive timelines; use discretion and good judgment; maintain a high level of confidentiality, and work collaboratively with diverse constituencies including students, faculty, staff, administrators and community partners. Must be able to work evenings and weekends as necessary.
J.D., employee/student conduct/disciplinary experience highly preferred. Knowledge of complexities surrounding Title VII and or Title IX in a university or college setting. Preference given to candidates with experience working in higher education.
Equal Opportunity Employer / Disability / Veteran
Columbia University is committed to the hiring of qualified local residents.
More searches like this
- Administrative Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in New York City
- Academic Affairs Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in New York City
- Other Academic Affairs Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in New York City
- Business & Administrative Affairs Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in New York City
- Legal Affairs Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in New York City