Position Payroll Manager Full Time/Part Time Full Time Job Type Regular Position Summary
New Mexico Highlands University ( NMHU ) Human Resources/Payroll department is seeking a dynamic Payroll Manager who is a team player and possesses payroll experience. This position will be an integral part of enhancing our technology capabilities at NMHU .
This position is responsible for the overall operation of the Payroll Department to include processing biweekly and monthly submission of payroll reports and payments of payroll taxes and retirement payments ensuring compliance. Provide service to employees and customers within and outside the University.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Manage the payroll production on a biweekly basis, issue manual checks, and process supplemental payrolls when needed;
• Process salary labor distributions, manage the collection of data, complete routine calculations, and submission of accurate payroll data;
• Update payroll records by reviewing and approving changes in exemptions, insurance coverages, deductions, and all employment transactions;
• Process documents related to payroll (e.g. contracts, benefits, involuntary wage assignments such as levies, garnishments, child support, etc.)
• Reconcile payroll liabilities to include but are not limited to federal and state income taxes, employer’s social security, unemployment, and workers compensation;
• Balance the payroll accounts by resolving payroll discrepancies;
• Prepare all related payroll general journal entries;
• Maintain payroll guidelines by writing and updating policies and procedures and making recommendations;
• Comply with federal, state, and local legal requirements by studying existing and new legislation; enforcing adherence to requirements; and advising management on needed actions;
• Submit payments to carriers ( TSA and other insurance companies) on a monthly and/or biweekly basis;
• Prepare retirement and retire health care reports;
• Reconcile and submit retirement contributions with payment to specific carriers (e.g. NMRHC, NMERB and Alternate Retirement Plans);
• Reconcile tax and retirement benefits/deductions to the general ledger;
• Process and reconcile W-2’s for year end;
• Prepare all state and federal payroll-related reports and deposit all payroll taxes;
• Work with auditors on payroll related issues at fiscal year-end and grant program year-end;
• Answer questions, and work with employees and carriers on related payroll issues;
• Keep current on tax related issues and update HRIS system to comply with federal and state regulations;
• Maintain HRIS validation and rule tables (e.g. system calendar, set-up for new deduction/benefits, maintain tax tables);
• Supervise and/or run compliance reports and create special reports as necessary;
• Participate in the analysis, testing, and implementation of HRIS enhancements and features;
• Manage payroll staff by recruiting, selecting, orienting, training employees, creating job results by counseling and disciplining employees; planning, monitoring, and appraising job results;
• Maintain regular attendance;
• Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies;
• Maintain employee confidence and protects payroll operations by keeping information confidential; and
• Perform other related duties as assigned.
Minimum Job Requirements
• Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Business or related field;
• Experience: Three (3) years of computerized payroll experience.
• Education: Master’s Degree in Business, Accounting, or related field;
• Experience: Five (5) years or more of computerized payroll experience, which must have been in an appropriate managerial/supervisory position. Computerized payroll experience in a public institution of higher learning and experience with Ellucian Banner software.
Special Conditions for Eligibility
• Must be willing to work evenings, weekends, holidays, and odd hours as required
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Knowledge of all applicable laws, regulations and University policies/procedures;
• Ability to perform under pressure and meet deadlines;
• Ability to demonstrate excellent oral/written communication, customer service and supervisory skills;
• Knowledge and skill in the use of Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, Access, and Outlook);
• Advanced skills with Excel macros and running Access queries;
• Strong customer service skills;
• Knowledge of payroll procedures and practices;
• Knowledge of federal and state laws affecting payroll practices;
• Ability to understand and follow specific instructions and procedures;
• Ability to maintain effective professional working relationships;
• Ability to respond to rigid schedules and deadlines; and
• Ability to work independently.
• Repetitive hand motions and prolonged use of computer;
• Maintain emotional control under stress;
• Must occasionally lift and/or move up to twenty (20) pounds;
• Sitting for extended periods of time; and
• Kneel, bend, reach and stoop.
• Work is performed in a typical interior/office work environment; and
• Work with frequent interruptions
Pay Rate $64,260 Work Location/Campus Center Las Vegas, NM Campus EEO Statement
New Mexico Highlands University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. We are committed to the University values of diversity, accessibility, excellence, and responsiveness.
For disabled access or services call 505-454-3242 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Visit the link below for more information regarding affirmative action and equal opportunity:
Equal Employment Opportunity is THE LAW
Posting Number AS441P Open Date 02/24/2021 Close Date Open Until Filled Yes Special Instructions to Applicant
A complete online application must include: 1) Letter of interest/cover letter that highlights relevant knowledge, skills, and abilities; 2) Resume; 3) Names, telephone numbers and email address of three (3) professional references in the online application, and; 4) Copies of unofficial transcripts. Candidates who are invited for on-campus interviews will be required to submit official transcripts. References will be contacted in conjunction with on-campus interview. Upload required materials with online application. For disabled access or services, call (505) 454-3242 or contact Human Resources at email@example.com NMHU IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Quick Link https://nmhu.peopleadmin.com/postings/6266 Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Public Job Posting
- Internal Job Posting
- Agency Referral
- Personal Referral
- * What is the highest level of education attained?
- High School Diploma
- Associates Degree
- Bachelors Degree
- Masters Degree
- * How many years of experience do you have in this type of
- * Tell us how you maintain constant performance while under
time and work load pressures.
(Open Ended Question)
- Please describe any previous experience you have working in a
customer service enviornment
(Open Ended Question)
- What have you done to improve your audit knowledge in the past
(Open Ended Question)
- Provide examples of how you handled difficult situations with
those you have worked with.
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter/ Letter of Interest
- Unofficial Transcripts Conferring Required Degree
- Letter(s) of Recommendation