Assistant Professor of Clinical Psychology with a focus on Ethnically Diverse Populations,
The University of Montana Psychology Department is excited to announce a call for applications seeking a tenure track Assistant Professor in Clinical Psychology with a focus on health or health psychology among ethnically diverse populations. Associate rank may be considered in extraordinary circumstances. Candidates with a background in American Indian/Alaska Native (AI/AN) health and experience working in clinical settings that serve AI/AN populations are strongly preferred given University/State demographics and departmental priorities. A competitive cooperative agreement between the Psychology Department and Indian Health Service funds UM’s Indians into Psychology (InPsych) Program. An enrolled member of a federally recognized tribe or Alaska Native village would qualify for supplemental support to lead our InPsych program. This position will begin in August 2021.
In addition to teaching undergraduate/graduate courses in psychology and conducting scholarly research, this position will supervise student research and clinical work, mentor AI/AN students at the undergraduate and graduate levels, and coordinate with tribal colleges to recruit AI/AN students interested in health service careers.
The University of Montana is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity in all areas. In that spirit, we are particularly interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of qualified people who would assist the University in demonstrating its five priorities for action : Place student success at the center of all we do; drive excellence and innovation in teaching, learning, and research; embody the principle of “mission first, people always"; partner with place; and proudly tell the UM story.
- Position is full-time, 1.0 FTE, Assistant Professor and includes a comprehensive and competitive benefits package including Insurance package, mandatory retirement plan, partial tuition waiver, and wellness program.
- Salary for this position is commensurate with qualifications.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology
- Licensed as a psychologist in Montana or willing and able to pursue licensure
- Advanced knowledge of AI/AN populations and demonstrated track record of relevant scholarship
- Strong record of research and publication history
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Knowledge and experience in human public health research
- Proven ability to communicate complex ideas and concepts (both orally and in writing) to scientific and non-scientific audiences
- Ability and willingness to undertake collaborative research
- Ability to supervise and mentor undergraduate and graduate students
- Ability to maintain a safe working and learning environment
- Ability to achieve project goals on time and within budget
- Expertise with standard database and statistical software packages
About the Department of Psychology, UM and Missoula
The Psychology Department comprises 17 full-time and part-time faculty members. We confer the B.A. degree in Psychology, Master's and Specialist degrees in School Psychology (M.A.; NASP-accredited), and Ph.D. degrees in Experimental, School, and Clinical Psychology (the latter two are APA-accredited).
The University of Montana is a unit of the Montana University System with over 10,000 students. It is located in Missoula, a culturally vibrant community of about 72,000, surrounded by mountain grandeur which was recently ranked in the “ top 20 best college towns with a population of less than 250,000 ” by the American Institute for Economic Research and ranked 9th in Outside Magazine’s “ The 16 Greatest Places to Live in America” in 2014 . Many national publications recognize Missoula for its high quality of life . Abundant recreational opportunities in surrounding state and national forests and nearby Glacier National Park and Yellowstone National Park complement a thriving intellectual atmosphere. The University of Montana offers eligible employees a generous benefits package that positively separates UM from other local employers and offers many programs and policies to support work-life balance for its employees.
To learn more about the University of Montana, Missoula, and the State of Montana, please visit the links below.
- University of Montana
- City of Missoula
- State of Montana
Criminal Background Investigation is required prior to Offer of Employment. In accordance with University policy, finalists for this position will be subject to criminal background investigations. ADA/EOE/AA/Veteran's Preference - Reasonable accommodations are provided in the hiring process for persons with disabilities. For example, this material is available in alternative format upon request. As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, we encourage applications from minorities, veterans, and women. Qualified candidates may request veterans’ or disabilities preference in accordance with state law. References - *References not listed on the application materials may be contacted; notice may be provided to the applicant. Testing - Individual hiring departments at UM-M may elect to administer pre-employment tests, which are relevant to essential job functions. Employment Eligibility - All New Employees must be eligible and show employment eligibility verification by the first date of employment at UM, as legally required (e.g., Form I-9).
How to Apply
Priority Application Date: March 30, 2021
Applications received by this date will be guaranteed consideration. Application review will begin on after the date above and continue until the position is filled with an anticipated start date autumn 2021.
Please submit the following application materials via "New Resume/CV" button below.
*Please note: only five (5) attachments are allowed per application. Please combine documents accordingly.
- Letter of Interest – addressing the stated required qualifications for the position
- Detailed curriculum Vitae listing education and describing work experience
- Three (3) professional references - Names and contact information for three (3) professional references
- Statement documenting Teaching Excellence and Philosophy
- Statement of research focus, productivity and planning
- Statement outlining commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion
Need additional help? Check out our UM Jobs FAQ website .
Job Location Missoula, Montana, United States
Position Type Full-Time/Regular