Accounting Associate II, Division of Biological Sciences
The Division of Biological Sciences invites applications for an Accounting Associate II . This position performs often complex administrative, financial, and clerical work in support of the Division.
Specific job responsibilities include:
- organizing and maintaining paper and electronic files
- paying and reconciling bills
- running and formatting reports
- providing more complex information to internal and external customers
- Coordinate travel arrangements.
- Complete accounting functions including processing accounts payable and receivable, verifying income and expenses, reviewing budget statements and assisting with reconciliation of accounts.
- Complete routine payroll actions such as completing HR paperwork and GTO entries.
- Monitor spending, documentation, and financial reporting of grants in DBS.
- Assist PIs with budget proposals and provide spending reports.
The position is highly visible and people-oriented, the person in this position must possess skills to tactfully and diplomatically respond to a variety of clientele both internal and external to the Division. Work is both task and project-oriented and is generally recurring, often cyclical. Work requires interpretation, discretion, and judgment to resolve day-to-day problems. Decisions will be made according to Division guidelines and University policy and procedures.
The Accounting Associate will conduct responsibilities with a high degree of independence and minimum supervision. The incumbent needs to be resourceful and self-taught, working closely with the DBS Budget Analyst. Specific duties will depend on areas of expertise and will evolve after cross-training with the other position.
This position requires incumbent to develop a working knowledge of the University of Montana financial systems; develop a working knowledge of UM policies, procedures and practices; develop a sound understanding of relevant federal and state regulations; and develop a working knowledge of University platforms such as Banner, UMDW, U-Approve, GrizMart, ePaf, etc.
- Demonstrated knowledge of basic accounting and payroll practices.
- Demonstrated skill in customer service and listening and oral communication.
- Ability to handle customer needs, conflicts and difficult situations in a timely and orderly manner.
- Ability to problem solve and make sound decisions using good judgment, tact and sensitivity.
- Strong organization, coordination, and time-management skills.
- Ability to gather and process fiscal and programmatic information.
- Ability to interpret existing policies and procedures.
- Intermediate skill in the operation of word processing, spreadsheet, and database programs.
- Skill in the operation of basic office equipment such as copier, scanner and fax machine.
- Knowledge of general office procedures and practices.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of records and information.
- Ability to compose and edit simple and complex written materials.
Minimum Required Experience
- Associate’s degree (or equivalency) in a relevant discipline, in addition to two (2) years of closely related experience; or any combination of experience and education that provides the competencies necessary to successfully discharge the duties and responsibilities assigned to the position.
- Knowledge of university-specific software programs (Banner, Cyberbear, GrizMart, etc.) and the University of Montana policies and procedures.
- Experience in working with the University of Montana administrative units, particularly academic departments, Business Services.
- Knowledge of and experience with financial management and preparing invoices.
About the Division of Biological Sciences , UM , and Missoula
The Division of Biological Sciences at the University of Montana-Missoula delivers high-quality academic programs in the biological sciences. The Division’s mission includes educating students at all levels from the baccalaureate to the doctoral, so that they develop the knowledge, skills, and attitudes to succeed as professional biologists and as citizens in a rapidly changing world facing problems that include significant biological components; to foster strong research programs that create new knowledge, understanding, and approaches in biology and that enhance the learning environment for students; and to apply biological science to benefit the university, state, region, nation and the world.
The University of Montana is a unit of the Montana University System with over 10,000 students. It is located in Missoula, a culturally vibrant community of about 72,000, surrounded by mountain grandeur which was recently ranked in the “ top 20 best college towns with a population of less than 250,000 ” by the American Institute for Economic Research and ranked 9th in Outside Magazine’s “ The 16 Greatest Places to Live in America” in 2014 . Many national publications recognize Missoula for its high quality of life . Abundant recreational opportunities in surrounding state and national forests and nearby Glacier National Park and Yellowstone National Park complement a thriving intellectual atmosphere. The University of Montana offers eligible employees a generous benefits package that positively separates UM from other local employers and offers many programs and policies to support work-life balance for its employees.
The University of Montana is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity in all areas. In that spirit, we are particularly interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of qualified people who would assist the University in demonstrating its five priorities for action : Place student success at the center of all we do; drive excellence and innovation in teaching, learning, and research; embody the principle of “mission first, people always"; partner with place; and proudly tell the UM story.
To learn more about the University of Montana, Missoula, and the State of Montana, please visit the links below.
- University of Montana
- City of Missoula
- The State of Montana
Position Title: Accounting Associate II
Position Number: New
Department: Division of Biological Sciences
Work Schedule: Full-time, 1.0 FTE (40 Hours a week), Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, 12 months/year,
Salary: $14.375/hr - Current employee’s rate of pay for this position will be determined by the staff compensation plan and will minimally be this posted salary. For questions and details regarding the staff compensation plan, email the Compensation Department .
Union Affiliation: FOCUS - MFPE
Probationary Period: Six months minimum
Benefits Include : Insurance package, mandatory retirement plan, partial tuition waiver, and wellness program.
Criminal Background Investigation is required prior to the Offer of Employment In accordance with University regulations, finalists for this position will be subject to criminal background investigations. ADA/EOE/AA/Veteran's Preference Reasonable accommodations are provided in the hiring process for persons with disabilities. For example, this material is available in alternative format upon request. As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, we encourage applications from minorities, veterans, and women. Qualified candidates may request veterans’ or disabilities preference in accordance with state law. References: References not listed on the application materials may be contacted; notice may be provided to the applicant. Testing: Individual hiring departments at UM may elect to administer pre-employment tests, which are relevant to essential job functions. Employment Eligibility: All New Employees must be eligible and show employment eligibility verification by the first date of employment at UM, as legally required (e.g., Form I-9).
How to Apply
Application Deadline: Monday, April 12, 2021 by 11:59 PM (Mountain Time)
Candidates are required to submit the following materials online via "New Resume/CV" button below
*Please note, only five (5) attachments are allowed per application. Please combine documents accordingly.
A complete application Includes:
- Letter of Interest – addressing your qualifications and experience related to the stated required skills for the position. A general letter salutation such as “Dear Search Committee” or “Dear Hiring Manager” is acceptable.
- Detailed Resume – listing education and describing work experience.
- Professional References – names and contact information for three (3) professional references.
Need additional help? Check out our UM Jobs FAQ website.
Job Location Missoula, Montana, United States
Position Type Full-Time/Regular
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Bonner
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Bonner
- Biology & Life Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Bonner
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Bonner
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Bonner