Administrative Assistant - K
Administrative Assistant - K
Department: Dean Of Studies Office
Duration of Position: Full year / Full time
Employee Type: Staff
Posting Date: 10/20/2020
Union Representation: CWA
Posting Number: AS004P
Pay Rate: $15.00/hour
About Vassar College
Located in the scenic Mid-Hudson Valley, Vassar College is a highly selective, residential, coeducational liberal arts college. Vassar is strongly committed to fostering a community that reflects the values of a liberal arts education and to promoting an environment of equality, inclusion and respect for difference. Vassar College is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer, and applications from members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged. Vassar College is a smoke-free, tobacco-free campus.
Position Summary and Responsibilities
The Administrative Assistant provides administrative assistance and operational support to the Dean of Studies office with an emphasis on supporting the Dean of First-Year Students and students' transition to college.
- Establishing and maintaining academic digital files for all members of the incoming class,
- Scheduling and preparing materials for meetings with the Dean
of First-Year Students, along with scheduling appointments and
maintaining the calendar.
- Responding to email, calls and correspondence, completing and
sending out student transfer requests.
- Coordinating orientation and First-Year Families Weekend
- Tracking the budget and assisting visitors to the Dean of
- Preparation of records for the Committee on Student Records
meetings twice a year.
- Updating and editing the First-Year Handbook, Pre-major Advisor
Handbook, and Dean of First-Years websites.
- Maintaining the pre-major advisor database.
- Preparing Spring and Summer mailings to incoming students and
- Providing work direction to summer student employee.
- Ordering of office supplies, and account reconciliation via
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- A minimum of two to four years of administrative support
experience and/or training.
- Strong computer skills are required including proficiency with
the Google Office suite Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, e-mail and
internet browsers. Familiarity with Banner is desirable.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and telephone
manner are essential.
- Requires the ability to interact effectively with a diverse
community of students, parents, faculty, and staff.
- Must have a professional demeanor, problem-solving approaches,
good judgment and discretion, including the ability to maintain
confidentiality; also, strong organizational skills, including the
ability to effectively manage deadlines and multiple, competing
- Must be able to work both independently and as part of a collaborative team.
Special Instructions to Applicants
To complete your on-line application, you will be required to attach your resume, cover letter, and contact information for 3 professional references. All attachments must be in PDF format. Review of applications will begin immediately. If you have any questions, please contact Human Resources, 845-437-5820.
For full consideration applicants should apply by:
All applicants must apply online at: https://employment.vassar.edu/postings/1578.