Elmhurst University invites applications for the Director of the AC Buehler Library. This is a 12-month position with faculty rank. The Director reports to the Vice President for Academic Affairs and is responsible for the strategic direction of the Buehler Library, providing effective operational leadership in the management of human resources, finances, and facilities, and of library services.
The Director will have skills in management, leadership, planning, budget, communication, collaborative decision-making, staff development, knowledge of trends in technology and higher education. It is most important that they have both energy and dedication to the library. They must be supportive of the faculty librarians and the library staff. They must be willing to work at library service points, teach information literacy, support faculty use and training on the campus LMS in collaboration with the Office of Information Services, and serve on committees. They must be able to engage with and promote campus initiatives and have a vested interest in issues in higher education and libraries. They must have communication skills in the library, on campus and with consortia. Promoting and enhancing library collaborative spirit and morale is an ongoing responsibility.
- Serves in a liaison role for select academic and support departments.
- Provides reference service, access, and information literacy instruction as needed.
- Recommends, interprets, and implements library policies and procedures.
- Enhances sustainable library operations.
- Advocates for library needs, budget, and strategy; plans for, allocates, and manages financial and other resources effectively.
- Initiates library-centered innovative programming and services to address campus needs, and other short- and long-range projects.
- Coordinates library planning and assessment.
- Promotes collaboration among academic and administrative constituents to advance the library’s mission.
- Supports and develops collaborative technology connections with relevant campus offices, including library technologies and LMS/CMS systems.
- Serves as chair of the library faculty and supervisor to the library staff.
- Effectively allocates and manages financial and other resources, including budgetary requests and appropriate allocation of academic resources to achieve the mission and goals of the library and of the University.
- Supports the experience of our diverse staff and student body in all aspects of its operation.
- Supports continued participation in local, state and national library consortia.
- Actively champions faculty and staff promotion/tenure/continuing education/sabbaticals.
Education/Training and Certification
An American Library Association-accredited master’s degree (or higher) and a record of relevant experience in higher education.
- Knowledge of library management skills and concepts.
- A record of increasingly responsible experience in an academic library setting with demonstrated success in managing staff, services and programs.
- Understanding of current and emerging trends and issues and their impact on library services.
- Commitment to and experience with advancing issues of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Experience with managing significant budgets.
- Additional graduate degree in a subject area.
- Experience with assessment of library programs and services.
- Involvement in library organizations on a local or national level.
- Credit-course teaching experience.
- Experience with providing library services for doctoral programs and students, especially with regard to the health sciences.
- Participation in the library scholarly conversation, including presentations and publications.
Candidates should submit:
- A letter of interest addressing how the candidate’s career and experiences have served as preparation to lead a library at a diverse liberal arts university, with particular attention to the priorities and qualities listed above. Speak to your vision of the role of library leadership and the future of academic libraries and your philosophy of librarianship and teaching.
- A curriculum vitae
- A list of professional references
A teaching demonstration will be required of finalist candidates.
The AC Buehler Library
The AC Buehler library, most recently renovated in 2018, is at the heart of the academic campus community. Awarded the ACRL (Association of College and Research Libraries) Excellence in Academic Libraries Award in 2010, it serves as a collaborative study, meeting, and instruction space. The library faculty and staff are committed to a user-focused and inclusive environment that provides access to print and digital materials and library space for both individual and collaborative research. The library provides more than 300 instruction sessions annually to promote effective use of the library. The library’s collections include over 250,000 volumes, 400,000 e-books, numerous databases, and the University archives.
The library proudly houses the Chicago Imagist & Abstractionist Art Collection, which draws visitors from across the globe, as well as a growing collection of student pieces (https://www.elmhurst.edu/about/elmhurst-university-art-collection/). The AC Buehler Library is also home to the Weigand Center for Professional Excellence (https:/www.elmhurst.edu/academics/academic-centers/cpe/), the Elmhurst University Learning Center (https://www.elmhurst.edu/LC), the University Honors Program and the Student Veterans Office. This has provided opportunities for collaborative and innovative programs and outreach efforts.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Elmhurst
- Professional Fields Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Elmhurst
- Library & Information Sciences Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Elmhurst
- Administrative Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Elmhurst
- Academic Affairs Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Elmhurst