Chief Human Resources Officer
The University of St. Thomas invites qualified candidates to apply for a Vice President of Human Resources and Chief Human Resources Officer position.
The University of St. Thomas embraces diversity, inclusion, and equal opportunity for all. Our convictions of dignity, diversity and personal attention call us to embody and champion a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment. We welcome applicants of diverse races, ethnicities, geographic origins, gender identities, ages, socioeconomic backgrounds, sexual orientations, religions, work experience, physical and intellectual abilities, and financial means. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. This commitment is consistent with our mission to inspire our students, using the Catholic intellectual tradition, to think critically, work skillfully, and act wisely – all for the common good. A successful candidate will possess a commitment to the ideals of this mission.
JOIN OUR COMMUNITY
The University of St. Thomas offers a competitive and comprehensive benefits program, which includes:
- Up to 100% tuition remission for employees, spouses, and dependents upon eligibility
- A generous Employer retirement contribution of 9.4% of annual salary upon eligibility
- Medical, dental, and vision options
- Employer-paid disability, life, and AD&D benefits
The Vice President of Human Resources and Chief Human Resources Officer (CHRO) will serve as a strategic and active member of the University’s senior leadership team, reporting directly to the president.
The CHRO will be responsible for proactively leading human capital strategies and programs university-wide to build an effective and inclusive high-performance culture. The successful candidate will be forward-thinking with the ability to cultivate trust. The candidate will be a confidante and problem-solver on some of St. Thomas’ most sensitive and important issues. The candidate will be an experienced strategist who can develop an organization that is adaptive to change. The candidate will be an HR visionary and thought leader, who can successfully lead an organization to success through progressive human capital strategies. The CHRO will have a proven track record of innovation, inclusive excellence and best practices when partnering across an organization. The CHRO will leverage HR to accomplish key business objectives, implement cultural and organizational change, and ensure that the university has the capability, leadership and bench strength to achieve its mission and long-term growth strategies.
- Operate as an active member of the senior leadership team, building trusted advisor relationships and contributing broadly to the business strategy and operations.
- Work closely with other senior leaders to oversee the design and administration of talent and development strategies, executive and employee compensation programs, budget plans and succession planning.
- Design and communicate a compelling HR strategy by developing a keen understanding of the university’s goals, strategies, and inclusive culture needed. Set near-term priorities to support the business, while simultaneously developing long-term human capital initiatives to support the growth of the university and its bold initiatives.
- Drive an ambitious organizational agenda that aligns with the 2025 Strategic Plan and the technologically evolving skill set of the university’s workforce and faculty. This individual will oversee the full breath of the HR function, but will have a focus on change management and organizational effectiveness, talent development and nurturing and sustaining a culture of inclusion and equity.
- Ensure that competitive total rewards philosophies and policies are in place and that the University has exceptional labor relations and compliance systems to ensure high quality operations.
- Partner with senior leaders regarding social responsibility initiatives, taking a lead on fostering the development and communication of social initiatives impacting talent and the broader community.
- Ensure first-class delivery of HR support to the business. This individual will be responsible for excellent execution of operations regarding the broad HR agenda.
The ideal candidate will have at least (15) years of experience in progressive roles, including experience in companies or organizations known for having “best in class” HR practices, and hands-on experiences building human capital capabilities in less mature organizations. Prior experience in a matrixed organization is a plus. In addition, the candidate will possess:
- Educational requirements include; a Bachelor’s degree required and a Master’s degree preferred. An advanced human resources certification is a plus.
- At least eight years of experience in a significant leadership role managing other high-performing HR professionals. Previous CHRO or CPO experience in a large and complex organization is strongly preferred.
- Experience leading organizational and culture change with the capability of leading St. Thomas to integrate “people” strategies throughout the organization.
- The ability to be a developer and enabler, with a proven ability to accelerate the pace of innovation and change across the organization, playing a critical role in major strategic initiatives and building broad cross-organizational momentum.
- Demonstrated excellence in transforming diversity, equity and inclusion practices across an organization.
- Demonstrated success in the creation, implementation, and integration of progressive human resource and talent systems, processes and policies in a user-centric environment.
- Experience with successful and innovative approaches to talent development and the ability to coach and advise senior leaders, coupled with a proven ability to establish programs to attract, retain and develop a talented and diverse workforce in a competitive labor environment.
- Business and financial acumen, as demonstrated by a clear ability to understand the broader strategy and market context of the university, identify its success drivers, and support them effectively both through HR strategies and broader recommendations.
- The ability to lead and manage all functional areas of human resources, including talent acquisition and development, learning, organizational design, total rewards (compensation and benefits), data and operations, and HR business partners, and who can build the capability of current staff and related positions within university to strengthen pathways to succession.
- The ability to appropriately scale functional areas of HR to achieve strategic goals of the organization and adapt talent to the pace of technological advances.
- Excellent communication skills and experience establishing a successful employment brand and a compelling employee value proposition.
The successful candidate must be a values-based leader who embraces the mission of the University of St. Thomas. Further, this individual must also have the following personal and professional attributes:
- The ability to coach, develop and inspire others. A trusted advisor who brings a low ego, can build great teams, and complements the stature and credibility of the University’s other top leaders.
- Transparent and honest style, open agenda, humble and patient professional who is comfortable influencing and building consensus through strong relationships rather than leveraging authority.
- Mentally tough and collaborative in approach, but also possesses the courage to “push back” and the wisdom to do it in a tactful and mature manner.
- The skill to recognize opportunities to enhance the university and to develop and communicate thoughtful and strategic initiatives to execute on such opportunities.
- An action oriented “Player/Coach” who is both hands-on and strategic, with the nuanced ability to navigate seamlessly between the two.
- A superb reputation as a person of strong moral character, who has a demonstrated ability to convene other stakeholders and exhibit thought leadership in a larger context.
HOW TO APPLY
All interested candidates must apply online at https://www.stthomas.edu/jobs/" href="https://www.stthomas.edu/jobs/" target="_blank" rel="noopener">https://www.stthomas.edu/jobs/. Follow the instructions to complete an online application which includes creating or updating an applicant profile, uploading a resume, and completing a job specific application.
In light of its commitment to create and maintain a safe learning and working environment, employment with the University of St. Thomas requires consent and successful completion of a background screening.
The University of St. Thomas, Minnesota Human Resources Department advertises the official job listing on its website at www.stthomas.edu/jobs.
The University of St. Thomas is an Equal Opportunity Employer