Assistant or Associate Director, Records and Registration
The University of Maryland
School of Social Work has an exciting opportunity for an Assistant
Director or Associate Director of Records and
Registration. This role is responsible for
maintaining accurate, confidential, and secure academic records for
currently enrolled, formerly enrolled, and graduated students of
SSW. This position reports to the Associate Dean for
Admissions and Enrollment. The selected candidate’s title
will be determined based on their education and experience.
The University of Maryland School of Social Work (SSW) was created in 1961 and has grown to become one of the largest and most respected schools of social work. U.S. News & World Report ranks the School among the top 20 schools of social work in the country. SSW has become the leader in social work education for the state of Maryland with a growing national and international audience. For the last decade, the School's faculty publishing rate has placed it in the top 10 nationally in terms of the number of articles published in scholarly journals. The SSW provides 500,000 hours of social work services a year within the state of Maryland and surrounding communities. Through field placements, the Community Outreach Service, Promise Heights program, Family Connections program, the Ruth H. Young Center for Families and Children, and the Institute for Innovation and Implementation, the School is active in helping meet social work needs throughout Baltimore and beyond.
The School of Social Work is committed to creating an accessible, supportive environment and an educational experience that recognizes diversity and cultural competence as integral components of academic excellence. Candidates who can contribute to that goal are encouraged to apply and to identify their strengths in this area.
This Exempt, Regular position offers a generous benefits package that includes 22 vacation days, 14 floating and holidays, 15 sick days; comprehensive health insurance and retirement options; and tuition remission for employees and their dependents at any of the University System of Maryland schools.
The University of Maryland, Baltimore was ranked one of America's Best Large Employers by Forbes Magazine. (Feb 2021)
- Oversees the provision of records and registration services to students, including registration guidance and assistance, and proper records management
- Demonstrates and supports a culture of diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Assists in the development of future student record and registration changes. Applies knowledge of student information systems to campus/school specific needs and processes.
- Monitors and maintains the SSW student information system for academic records used in registration and mandated reporting functions ensuring the confidentiality and accuracy for students.
- Supports and enhances a sense of belonging and success of students from traditionally marginalized populations.
- Oversees audits and data analysis, such as completing degree audits, analyzing enrollment data, and tracking academic progress of students
- Oversees the enrollment certification process for students utilizing Veterans Educational Benefits.
- Provides course scheduling assistance, including review of enrollment and schedule dissemination
- Provides enrollment data to support the decision processes of the SSW
- Assists with implementation of procedures for processing student leaves of absence, withdrawals, and dismissals
- Assists with the tracking of special student degree programs and transfer credit approval
- Provides student data as need to SSW, USG, and UMB
- Supervises the Registration Coordinator
- Cultivates and develops inclusive and equitable working relationships with students, faculty, staff and community members.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Performs all essential functions of the Assistant Director.
- Oversees the development and delivery of services related to School of Social Work student records, registration, enrollment and graduation.
- Provides general direction and leadership for all aspects of the School of Social Work records and registration functions in order to maintain efficient operation and continuous improvement.
- Represents the School of Social Work in campus meetings and special projects related to the effective provision of student registration and enrollment services.
- Creates a cohesive work team that works collaboratively to achieve unit’s goals.
- Oversees the recruitment, performance, and training of team members and continually reviews strengths and weaknesses of staff to maintain a well-trained, highly involved, and motived team.
- Oversees the confidential response to alumnae inquires related to record verification requests (i.e., HireRight, National Student Clearinghouse, etc).
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Assistant Director: Bachelor's degree. Master's degree is preferred. Five (5) years of experience in academic records and registration or spent progressively building a background in admissions/registration. Experience in working with students in an academic setting preferred. One (1) year of direct supervision or responsibility for training, work coordination, and monitoring work of others.
Associate Director: Bachelor’s degree. Master’s degree is preferred. Six (6) years of experience in academic records and registration experience. Experience working with complex data systems is required. Knowledge of both the technical and operational aspects of systems used by the Office of the Registrar. Knowledge of data manipulation tools, reporting, and data integrity required. Two (2) years of direct management or leadership.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Possesses a thorough knowledge of records and registration requirements and is able to fulfill the position in compliance with all requirements/regulations/laws. Knowledge of student information management systems and databases as they relate to the records and registration process.
- Effective communicator in both verbal and written thoughts, ideas, and facts. Ability to gather and compile complex data and modify reports for multiple audiences.
- Ability to work cooperatively with diverse populations and demonstrates professional, ethical, respectful, and courteous behavior when interacting with others.
- Ability to establish goals, structures, and processes necessary to implement a mission and strategic vision.
- Capable in leadership, coaching, and team building skills to foster a student-centered culture.
The Hiring Range for the Assistant Director is in the mid $50,000s to the mid $60,000s, commensurate with education and experience.
The Hiring Range for the
Associate Director is in the low to high $70,000s, commensurate
with education and experience.
If accommodations are needed for a disability, please contact Human Resource Services at 410-706-2606, Monday – Friday, 8:30am – 4:30pm EST. Maryland Relay can be accessed by dialing 711 (in-state) or 1-800-735-2258.
UMB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law or policy.