Medical Assistant II
The Department of Surgery at Baylor College of Medicine is seeking a competent and reliable medical assistant to support the clinicians providing cardiothoracic surgery patients in a hospital based clinic. This position will assist in the examination and treatment of patients under the direction of the physician and advanced practice providers. Main responsibilities include interviewing patient, measuring vital signs (i.e. pulse rate, temperature, blood pressure, weight and height) and record information on the patient electronic chart using EPIC. The position will also provide the patients and cardiothoracic surgery clinic with administrative support. Shifts will include a 8:00-5:00 Monday-Friday work schedule.
- Performs routine patient care responsibilities such as taking vital signs, venipuncture (blood draws), collect specimens, EKGs/ECGs, and POCTs.
- Collects patient history, performs medication reconciliation and enters information in the electronic medical record.
- Notes the primary complaint/reason for patient’s visit.
- Sets up instruments and equipment for Physician.
- Assists with procedures as needed.
- Administers medication under direction / order of a supervising Physician.
- Instructs Patients on general care and medical procedures.
- Maintains patient and service rooms in a neat and orderly condition.
- Schedules patient tests, procedures, and appointments.
- Conducts patient outreach phone calls and post visit follow-ups.
- Performs clerical/administrative responsibilities such as filing and/or scanning patient medical records, obtain lab/x-ray reports, hospital notes, and referral information.
- Takes inventory of clinic supplies and order supplies as needed.
- Sorts and distributes clinic mail and medical records to the appropriate clinic personnel.
- High school diploma or GED and completion of a Medical Assistant Training program through an accredited institution.
- Two years of relevant experience.
- Current certification as a Medical Assistant through an accredited professional organization (AAMA, AMT, ARMA, NCCT, NAHP, NHA, NAHP, AMCA, or NRMA).
- Experience in a cardiothoracic surgery practice.
- Bilingual English/Spanish speaking preferred.
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer.