Venture Out Coordinator - Challenge Course and Adventure Programs
The Venture Out Coordinator for Challenge Course and Adventure Programs works with and assists the Assistant Director in the administrative management of all operations and programming aspects of Virginia Tech’s comprehensive outdoor program; Venture Out.
This Coordinator will primarily oversee the day-to-day operations of the Venture Out Challenge Course and Team Building program, including maintenance, development and implementation of custom experiential education programs for university users and community partners. Additionally, this position will aid in the recruitment, supervision, training, evaluation, scheduling and documentation of student staff skill development/progression; support in the supervision of program logistics while leading and evaluating selected programs (i.e. trips, clinics, workshops, trainings, and challenge course sessions) while ensuring risk management planning and execution meet program standards. This will include some nights, overnight, weekend and week-long field work, as well as serving as “on-call” via phone for incident management. Other duties may include, but are not limited to, direct collaboration for achievement of the vision, mission, and strategic goals of Venture Out.
The Coordinator reports directly to the Assistant Director for Venture Out and works in conjunction with members of the Recreational Sports staff to enhance the quality of life for the university community by educating and encouraging participation in activities that promote healthy lifestyles, creating inclusive spaces and social interactions for all, determination, and leadership skills.
- Bachelor’s degree in Education, Outdoor Recreation, Recreation Management, Sports Management or related fields of education and equivalent experience
- Outdoor recreation and leadership portfolio (i.e. documented challenge course and team building facilitation, climbing wall operations, and adventure trip leading experience)
- Experience facilitating on Challenge Courses, Aerial Parks, or High Ropes Courses.
- Wilderness First Responder (or higher) certification
- Master’s Degree in Outdoor Recreation, Leadership, Education or other relevant field - Knowledge of experiential education and outdoor leadership pedagogy
- Experience working with Federal, State and Local Governments to obtain recreational permits
- Experience leading multi-day, wilderness-based trips (ex. Outward Bound, NOLS, etc.)
- Industry certifications (ex. ACCT Level II, AMGA SPI, ACA Level 4 Canoeing, Mental Health First Aid, etc.)
$40,000 - $44,000
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges , a school of medicine , a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School , and Honors College . The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers . A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact (Donna Dickerson) at (firstname.lastname@example.org) during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Advertised: February 26, 2021
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Social & Behavioral Sciences Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Recreation & Leisure Studies Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Administrative Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Business & Administrative Affairs Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg