Assistant Dining Service Manager
The University of Colorado Boulder and Housing and Dining Services encourages applications for an Assistant Dining Service Manager! The purpose of this position is to provide operational support and assistance to the lead dining manager for personnel, management of fiscal resources, food production, hiring, training, purchasing, inventory, quality standards, and health/safety compliance for a sophisticated dining operation. Provide flexible and responsive customer service in all operations within unit structure. Provide unit leadership daily in the absence of the lead dining manager for assigned shifts and events.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
Campus Dining Services exists to provide 3.3 million meals per year for the students, staff, faculty, and guests of the university. Campus Dining Services is comprised of Residential Dining Halls, Catering and Retail outlets which operate year-round. Campus Dining leads the industry with outstanding quality food and exceptional dining experiences. We continue to expand our sustainability initiatives and reduce our carbon footprint in our daily operations, including efforts in resource recovery, conservation, and food sourcing. We are committed to providing options and information to all of our guests with dietary restrictions and allergens, including vegan, vegetarian, kosher and Halal choices, supported by a strong allergen awareness program called A9 ® Identified.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
- Assist in the hiring, training, and evaluation of a culturally and economically diverse staff including student employees.
- Actively participate in Orientation training to ensure each employee is crossed trained in all areas of the operating unit.
- Participate in ongoing on-the-job training. Make recommendations and develops unit training topics based on the specific needs of the unit.
- Make recommendations for and participates in department wide training sessions scheduled throughout the year.
- Ensure that all employees receive and understand both university and department policies, procedures and work related information and updates. When vital provides the information in Spanish, English or Chinese.
- Assist employees with computer access and navigation in finding job related information on university website and their email. Provides time during the work week for all employees who wish to utilize the computer work stations located in each unit.
- Provide training, scheduling and coaching for a high turnover student staff with a focus on retention.
- Ensure timely, accurate, and thorough performance reviews for all staff including students.
- Provide ongoing coaching sessions throughout the performance year.
- Document all coaching sessions and consistently holds staff account able.
- Provide DS-HR monthly updates for each employee as it pertains to the employee recognition program.
- Assist in the development of sophisticated, weekly staff schedule based on production forecasts, available staff, and production demands for full-time, temporary, and part-time employees.
- Prepare and submit timely, accurate personnel documents for assigned personnel operations, including reconciling and approving employee timecards in Kronos.
Quality Control and Safety:
- Assist in the development, implementation and compliance of quality standards.
- Supervise dish washing, washing of pots and pans, and equipment cleaning. Provide initial & ongoing training where vital.
- Instruct staff on scheduled cleaning of operational areas including equipment, facility, and storage and receiving areas.
- Ensure food production meets/exceeds HACCP standards.
- Ensure safe and injury free work environment. Implement accident prevention programs.
- Train personnel on sanitation and safety issues. Develop daily, coach as vital.
- Assist in the design, product research, costing, and implementation of new food service concepts including cash operations, carry-out services, catering, and creative food programs.
- Ensure timely, accurate ordering and invoice control.
- Assist with the development and implementation of the department’s strategic plan, long and short range goals, and action plans.
- Recommend staffing modifications based on production demands, staff availability, and design of new operations and services.
- Work closely with staff in promoting a positive image for Dining Services.
- Analyze reports and monthly accounting statements. Ensure timely and accurate entry of production data to CBORD system.
- Report accidents and injuries through designated channels.
- Approve invoices for payment.
- Provide hands-on supervision and monitoring of service lines during meal periods.
- Ensure food on serving line is appealing.
- Ensure serving line: is neat, clean, and has eye appeal.
- Ensure that food on serving line is at the proper temperature.
- Ensure all food safety checklists and documentation is completed as required, whether electronically or on paper if there are technology issues. This includes documenting vital corrective actions taken, including but not limited to work order submittal, discarding food, staff training and holding staff accountable.
- Provide training to service staff on how to maintain an attractive serving line, as well as how to maintain safe serving temperatures.
- Does a daily/shift check to ensure all staff is in proper uniform and takes immediate action if not.
- Is responsible for knowing all policy and procedures as outlined in the employee manual.
- Holds employees accountable and documents all infractions.
- Ensures that Dining HR has a monthly record of employee recommendations, awards, trainings attended or any information of importance that can be used to recognize outstanding contributions.
What We Can Offer
- The salary for this position is $48,000.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits , including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder .
Be Active. Be Engaged. Be Boulder.
What We Require
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience may substitute.
- Food safety certification appropriate to position - can get certified within the position.
What You Will Need
- Must have extensive knowledge of foods and food services administration in multi-venue and large volume production operations.
- Must have the ability to plan proactively for the production, development and delivery of quality food products and services to Dining Services customers.
- Interaction and effective communication with the staff, other department personnel, and the university in general. Letters, phone, FAX, and e-mail information with other schools and businesses.
- The ability to focus and prioritize for optimal operational needs during times of crisis.
- Standard computer knowledge (Microsoft Excel, Word, e-mail, POS systems)
What We Would Like You To Have
- Bachelor’s or associate’s degree in Hotel/Restaurant/Institutional Management, Operations Management, or Food and Nutrition.
- Certification from a culinary arts school or related institution.
- ServeSafe Certified.
- 2 years supervisory experience in a fast-paced university, restaurant or institutional food service.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
1. A current resume.
2. A cover letter that specifically tells us how your background and experience align with the requirements, qualifications, and responsibilities of the position.
We may request references at a later time.
Please apply by March 14, 2021 for consideration.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, please apply through CU Boulder Jobs.
Posting Contact Information
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org