University Code 34221 University Title Scientific Writer 1 University Job Family Research & Innovation ORP Eligible No For more information on ORP, visit: Retirement Plans
Recruitment Pool All Applicants Recruitment Type Single Title Scope of Search Local Working Title Scientific Writer Position Number 591800 Is this employee on a H1B Visa? Position Type Staff Job Status Full-Time FLSA Indicator Exempt Employee Group University Employee Department Internal Medicine Organizational Overview
At VCU, we Make it Real through learning, research, creativity, service and discovery — the hallmarks of the VCU experience. A premier, urban, public research university nationally recognized as one of the best employers for diversity, VCU is a great place to work. It’s a place of opportunity, where your success is supported and your career can thrive. VCU offers employees a generous leave package, career paths for advancement, competitive pay, and an opportunity to do mission-driven work.
Position Primary Purpose and General Responsibilities
The position will directly contribute to the Internal Medicine Department’s ability to achieve its strategic research objectives by:
• Providing grant/proposal editing and writing services, including ancillary materials (research plans, budget justifications, letters of support, biosketches, etc.), to support faculty in developing high-quality competitive grant applications for research and training activities;
• Supporting faculty with manuscript editing services;
• Helping to develop educational training, seminars, and workshops on grant and manuscript preparation;
• Contributing directly to the success of Internal Medicine Programs as required;
• Supporting faculty with preparation and finalization of audiovisual material.
Minimum Hiring Standards
•The successful candidate should have a Bachelor’s Degree in field related to this position, and experience editing and/or writing grant proposals.
•Thorough knowledge of grant application criteria and various funding mechanisms and sources
•Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills (written and oral) to work effectively with faculty and other research staff.
•Ability to prioritize and perform multiple tasks with accuracy and attention to detail, while meeting firm deadlines.
•Working knowledge of Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), and Adobe software
• Ability to work collaboratively and effectively in a diverse work environment.
• The Scientific Writer and Editor will be able to participate in preparation of applications in response to funding opportunities, particularly those that are institutionally cross-cutting in nature, to pursue major multi- and interdisciplinary research aligned with Internal Medicine strategic plan.
•Ability to prepare and submit manuscripts, book chapters, and other documents pertinent to the Internal Medicine Department.
Preferred Hiring Standards
•Graduate degree preferred; (especially those incorporating editing) other degrees considered with appropriate experience
•Those graduating with Degrees involving experience working in a busy academic medical center.
• Related Professional Certifications (e.g. Board of Editors in the Life Sciences, Medical Writer Certified, Grant Professional Certified).
• Experience with graphical design software considered advantageous.
Experience with graphical design software considered advantageous.
•Familiarity with Biomedical Sciences grant applications
Required Licenses/ Certifications Anticipated Hiring Range $40,000 - $54,000 Application Process/Additional Information Campus MCV Campus Hours/Week 40 hours weekly Normal Work Days/Hours Monday- Friday, 8:30 am - 5;00 pm Job Open Date 02/26/2021 Posting will close on or before Open Until Filled Yes Job Category Is this a restricted position? No Is this position eligible to participate in alternative work arrangements? No Sensitive Position No Resource Critical Yes Quick Link https://www.vcujobs.com/postings/103865 Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Please describe your work experience, education, and training
that is directly related to this position.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please describe your grant writing experience.
(Open Ended Question)
Required Documents Optional Documents
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application