Research Scientist/Senior Research Scientist
University Code 33244 University Title Senior Scientist 1 University Job Family Research & Innovation ORP Eligible Yes For more information on ORP, visit: Retirement Plans
Recruitment Pool All Applicants Recruitment Type Job Series Scope of Search Local Working Title Research Scientist/Senior Research Scientist Position Number 591430 Is this employee on a H1B Visa? Position Type Staff Job Status Full-Time FLSA Indicator Exempt Employee Group University Employee Department Medicines for All Organizational Overview
At VCU, we Make it Real through learning, research, creativity, service and discovery — the hallmarks of the VCU experience. A premier, urban, public research university nationally recognized as one of the best employers for diversity, VCU is a great place to work. It’s a place of opportunity, where your success is supported and your career can thrive. VCU offers employees a generous leave package, career paths for advancement, competitive pay, and an opportunity to do mission-driven work.
Position Primary Purpose and General Responsibilities
The Medicines for All Institute (M4ALL) operating under the auspices of VCU College of Engineering is seeking innovative individuals for the positions of Research Scientist/Senior Research Scientist to support the development and management of current and planned programs at the intersection of chemistry, pharmaceuticals manufacturing, and medicine value chain. M4ALL strives to be a global center of excellence to drive increased access to pharmaceuticals. By reducing the costs of treatments and securing the medicine supply chain, we improve health outcomes, reduce disease morbidity, and lower health costs. The successful candidates will be responsible for:
• Building the scientific excellence of the Institute by delivering superior research results in the field of synthetic organic
chemistry. Efforts will be directed toward novel syntheses of known active pharmaceutical ingredients and cover both early and late stage pharmaceutical process development as well as investigation of scalability.
• Conducting and documenting literature review of prior activities related to target drug substances
• Executing new chemical reactions to prepare multi-grams scale products
• Taking ownership of assigned tasks and follows through good attention to detail and thorough laboratory documentation skills
• Conceptualizing and assessing viability of routes utilizing low cost raw materials
• Developing continuous flow syntheses of optimized reactions
• Delivering results in a high pace and time sensitive environment
• Documenting findings and communicate results to internal and external team members
• Preparing written project updates and reports for clients
• Maintaining leading edge knowledge of current methods and technologies in organic chemistry
• Developing new technical platforms for other M4ALL researchers (ex. reaction screening, biocatalysis, computational
This posting is intended to fill multiple vacancies with consideration given to all candidates of varying experience and
qualifications. The scope and complexity of work, responsibilities, and final job level will be determined based on the credentials of the selected candidates.
Please note this is a restricted position and continued employment is dependent upon funding.
Minimum Hiring Standards
• A Ph.D. in organic chemistry or an MS degree with several years of pharmaceutical industrial experience
• Experience with flow chemistry
• Ability to publish research findings in high impact scientific journals
• Ability to work collaboratively with research teams to better assist them in accomplishing their goals
• The College of Engineering supports a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment. The candidate will demonstrate experience that shows their commitment to fostering such an environment.
• Strong written/oral skills required, and ability to communicate technical concepts to a non-technical audience
• Energy and passion to thrive in a start-up environment and to deliver on the mission of the Medicines for All Institute to improve access to affordable medicines.
• Ability to work within a fast paced environment and meet rigorous deadlines
• The Research Scientist will have knowledge with industrial process chemistry, process development and/or scale-up. The Senior Research Scientist will be
distinguished by possessing significant years’ experience in these areas along with strong knowledge of continuous manufacturing.
Preferred Hiring Standards
• Prefer candidates that have experience with advanced concepts including high throughput experimentation, Design of Experiments, kinetic, thermodynamic and mechanistic investigation, and catalysis
• Experience working with manufacturers to scale up lab-based results
• Previous research and development experience with active pharmaceutical ingredients are preferred.
Required Licenses/ Certifications Anticipated Hiring Range Commensurate Application Process/Additional Information Campus MCV Campus Hours/Week 40 hr/wk Normal Work Days/Hours Monday-Friday/8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Job Open Date 01/08/2021 Posting will close on or before Open Until Filled No Job Category Is this a restricted position? Yes Is this position eligible to participate in alternative work arrangements? Yes Sensitive Position No Resource Critical Yes Quick Link https://www.vcujobs.com/postings/102646 Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * What professional experience do you have that best relates to
(Open Ended Question)
- * This position has been designated as essential and may
require the chosen applicant to report in person to perform
critical research functions. If offered, are you willing to comply
with the designation requirements?
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Other Document
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Health & Medicine Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Medicine Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Chemistry & Biochemistry Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond