Pre-Award Grants Specialist/Senior Pre-Award Grants Specialist
University Code 26213 University Title Contracts and Grants Specialist University Job Family Legal, Audit & Compliance ORP Eligible No For more information on ORP, visit: Retirement Plans
Recruitment Pool All Applicants Recruitment Type Job Series Scope of Search Local Working Title Pre-Award Grants Specialist/Senior Pre-Award Grants Specialist Position Number 576790 Is this employee on a H1B Visa? No Position Type Staff Job Status Full-Time FLSA Indicator Exempt Employee Group University Employee Department Dean's Office Engineering Organizational Overview
At VCU, we Make it Real through learning, research, creativity, service and discovery — the hallmarks of the VCU experience. A premier, urban, public research university nationally recognized as one of the best employers for diversity, VCU is a great place to work. It’s a place of opportunity, where your success is supported and your career can thrive. VCU offers employees a generous leave package, career paths for advancement, competitive pay, and an opportunity to do mission-driven work.
Position Primary Purpose and General Responsibilities
Since its inception in 1996, the Virginia Commonwealth University College of Engineering has brought innovative, real-world engineering education to Central Virginia. As part of a premier research university known for tenacity, love of the city and commitment to diversity and access, the college is a front-runner in academics and research. The Sponsored Programs Office within the College of Engineering is responsible for providing pre-award and post award management for more than $19 million in sponsored research expenditures. In order to support the College’s research goals of increasing external funding, we are seeking a dynamic individual for a Pre-Award Grants Specialist position.
The successful candidate for this position will provide pre-award support for the College of Engineering. This position’s duties include:
- Preparation of grant, subcontract, and industry contract proposals for new research projects and continuation/supplemental funding proposals for existing projects.
- Reviewing, interpreting, and applying sponsor guidelines for research proposals.
- Clearly communicating, to internal and external audiences, sponsor and university policies, processes, and requirements related with research proposals to faculty, staff, postdoctoral research associates, and students.
- Advising faculty and other research proposal personnel on practical approaches for successful research proposal submissions.
- Reviewing proposals to ensure they are compliant with university and sponsor policies and guidelines.
- Preparing, revising, and approving research proposal budgets in accordance with university and sponsor policies and guidelines.
- Coordinate the request and receipt of subcontractor proposal documentation required for VCU grant/contract proposal submissions.
- Process proposal budget and administrative forms in compliance with local, state, university, and federal regulations.
- Provide training and education to faculty and other research proposal personnel on issues pertaining to grants and federal compliance.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate the ability to work collaboratively with team members, faculty, and external parties as well as work independently.
Minimum Hiring Standards
- Knowledge and experience, through previous work experience, with sponsored project and contract research proposals submissions. Must demonstrate an interest and willingness to learn the ins and outs of this position and seek to acquire skills to strengthen personal and team development.
- Experience creating proposal budgets and working with faculty members on revisions as needed.
- Knowledge and experience in working with local, state, and federal laws, rules, and regulations.
- Capacity to draft clear budget justifications and other written materials, and to complete a variety of administrative documents as required.
- Ability to review, interpret and apply university and federal policies, procedures, laws, and regulations concerning assigned projects. Introductory knowledge of OMB cost principles and Uniformed Guidance 2CFR200, with an advanced understanding preferred.
- Excellent computer skills in the use of MS Office with emphasis on Excel spreadsheets, MS Word, and Adobe. Capacity to use a variety of online internal and external systems.
- Ability to be precise, thorough, reliable, work independently, adapt to frequent changes in work assignments, and possess the ability to reason, think logically and analyze situations to resolve problems.
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills are necessary as is the capacity to maintain consistency with performance.
-Excellent oral and written communication skills are required. Must have the ability to effectively and clearly answer inquiries of faculty, staff, and various customer groups. Ability to maintain effective communication with fellow sponsored program staff.
- Demonstrated ability to research, investigate, analyze and evaluate all project related data regarding budgets for assigned projects.
- The College of Engineering supports a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment. The candidate will demonstrate experience that shows their commitment to fostering such an environment.
Preferred Hiring Standards
- Prefer degree in business or related field (or equivalent years of experience)
- Prefer 3 or more years of experience in pre-award support
Required Licenses/ Certifications Anticipated Hiring Range $50,000 - $70,000 Application Process/Additional Information Campus Monroe Park Campus Hours/Week 40 hr/wk Normal Work Days/Hours Monday-Friday/8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Job Open Date 02/26/2021 Posting will close on or before Open Until Filled Yes Job Category Administrative/ Secretarial/ Clerical Is this a restricted position? No Is this position eligible to participate in alternative work arrangements? Yes Sensitive Position No Resource Critical Yes Quick Link https://www.vcujobs.com/postings/103923 Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Are you familiar with the federal regulations governing
sponsored activity at universities (OMB circulars A-21, A-110, and
A-133, and Uniform Guidance, 2CFR200)?
- * How many years of experience do you have in pre-award grant
- Less than 1 year
- 1-2 years
- 3-5 years
- 5 years or more
- * Do you have experience in developing and working with
- Less than 1 year
- 1-2 years
- 3-5 years
- 5+ years
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Other Document
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Engineering Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Administrative Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Academic Affairs Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond