Bennington College has an opportunity for reliable individuals seeking an institutional dining position in a friendly and fast-paced atmosphere. The Dishroom/Utility Worker ensures cleanliness and sanitation of kitchen areas through operation of dishwashing equipment, sweeping, and mopping. The position pays $15.06 per hour and the schedule will be one of the following two options:
- Friday through Tuesday, 12:30pm - 9:00pm
- Sunday 8:00am to 4:30pm, Monday through Thursday 12:30pm to 9:00pm
- Provide clean serving ware, food and beverage service to faculty, staff, students and guests of the college. Set up, operate, clean and troubleshoot the dish machine as well as perform washing by hand.
- Assist with set-up of meals, and the cleaning of tables, kitchen and dining room floors and removal of trash.
- Adapt to new responsibilities as required for particular meal or event and provide service in a timely manner.
- Promote and maintain the highest level of customer service to all Bennington College guests.
- Perform all duties in accordance with Vermont State laws and Health Code policies and procedures.
- As needed, assist with the set-up of the kitchen area and the preparation and breakdown of assigned meals and or events.
- High School graduate or possess GED equivalent
- Previous experience and knowledge of current principles, practices, equipment, materials and methods used in large-scale food production preferred
- Able to successfully complete and acceptable results of a background check
- Self-motivated and adaptable
- Excellent teammates who possess a strong desire to provide excellent customer service
Bennington serves a diverse student population - inclusive of ethnic/racial minorities, international and global constituents, sexual minorities, and various social classes, among other identities. Our staff and faculty also reflect diverse backgrounds and identities. All employees are expected to be respectful and responsive to these differences in the service of building community that promotes student and employee success. Each individual (faculty, staff and students) will be accountable for upholding these values. The College’s approach to pluralism and inclusivity—both as fields of inquiry and practice—is to prioritize flexible thought, and to invite the examination of access, value, and power through its institutional policies and areas of study. We encourage applicants from diverse realms of interest, backgrounds, experience, and accomplishment to apply.
Physical, Mental and Visual Effort
This position has frequent contact with coworkers. This position works primarily within a fast-paced, general dining services area including kitchen, dining halls, snack bar area, dish room. Some of these work locations may include exposure to slippery surfaces, hot surfaces and materials, temperature extremes, sharp tools, broken china and glass, and spilled liquids, hot water and steam, cleaning solutions, and chemicals. Noise level is moderate. This position may also work within and outside of regular office buildings and academic/campus facilities for special functions.
This position requires routine medium to heavy physical exertion; typically involves lifting, standing, bending, reaching, stooping, walking, pushing, pulling and climbing stairs to coordinate work; heavy physical exertion required when moving equipment/supplies. Fine motor skills requiring use of hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls. Specific vision abilities include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.