Assistant Professor of English
The English Department at Albright College invites applications for multiple tenure-track Assistant Professor positions in Rhetoric and Writing Studies as part of a College commitment to creating a writing program taught entirely by full-time instructors. At least one position will include Creative Writing as a subspecialty. Successful candidates will teach a 3/3 load consisting of first-year writing and up to 2 courses per year in their area of specialization. Successful candidates will engage in institutionally funded scholarly research and will contribute to academic service. Albright College is a small liberal-arts college that offers a challenging curriculum to a very diverse student body. The College is consistently named as a top performer in social mobility and in return on investment.
- PhD in English, Rhetoric and Writing Studies, or a related field, and/or an MFA if applying for the CW subspecialty
- Demonstrated excellence in teaching first-year writing
- Record of published academic or creative writing
- Demonstrated commitment to enhancing equity and inclusion, sensitivity to the needs of culturally diverse and marginalized groups, and working with students holding a range of worldviews
- Expertise in creative writing, first-year writing, basic writing, WAC/WID, writing program administration, cultural rhetorics, digital rhetoric, publishing and editing, or scientific writing
- Experience with in-person and technologically enhanced teaching
- Evidence of positive contributions to team projects and working environments
Review of applications for this position will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Interested applicants should complete an application by clicking “Apply Now”. Albright offers a competitive benefits package, which includes tuition remission.
Candidates should submit the following materials in a single pdf file:
- Cover letter addressing the required and preferred qualifications
- Curriculum vitae
- A writing sample consisting of published research or creative writing
- A one to two paragraph statement that explains how you can support Albright College’s Inclusivity and Equity Statement (https://www.albright.edu/about-albright/albright-college-core-values-mission-and-vision).
For further information, contact the Chair of the English Department, Dr. Lawrence Morris, firstname.lastname@example.org.
As the oldest institution of higher learning in Berks County, Albright College has a long history of educating students of academic promise. Founded in 1856, Albright College is a diverse community of learners cultivating integrity, curiosity, connection, and resilience. The college’s flexible curriculum encourages students to combine and cross majors to create individualized academic programs. Close faculty mentorship and numerous experiential learning options create opportunities for Albright graduates to exceed their own expectations. Nationally ranked as a top performer for social mobility, Albright is proud of its wide cultural and economic diversity. Students learn to relate to people from different backgrounds, develop greater self-awareness, and gain a panoramic perspective of the world in order to view problems from multiple perspectives. The experience is valuable to students preparing to enter today’s global workplace, where differences in backgrounds and perspectives are the norm.
Albright College is a liberal arts institution with approximately 1750 students, located within an hour of Philadelphia and three hours of New York, Baltimore and Washington, DC. Additional information about Albright College is available at www.albright.edu.
At Albright, we believe our differences make us stronger and empower us to better understand and respect one another in a just and fair manner. With this in mind, the College recruits, houses, educates, employs, supports, and generally celebrates people of all statuses, identities, and backgrounds, including, but not limited to, race, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship status, religious or spiritual identity, gender and gender identity, sexual orientation, marital and parental status, veteran status, political affiliation, and physical and mental ability. Albright College is an EEO employer and, as stated above, is actively committed to inclusivity within its community. In pursuit of that, we actively encourage diversity in all dimensions among applicants for this position. Additional information about Albright College is available at www.albright.edu.