Faith and Race Program Director and Protestant Chaplain 998369
Xavier University, a Catholic institution in the Jesuit tradition, invites applications for the position of Faith and Race Program Director and Protestant Chaplain at the Dorothy Day Center for Faith and Justice. The Center for Faith and Justice supports and challenges students as they deepen their faith lives, pursue justice, and promote pluralism. Inspired by Ignatian spirituality and Catholic Social Teaching, the Center is built on the invitation to find God in all things and the principles of solidarity and the common good. Through faith formation, community building and education for social change, the Center for Faith and Justice equips students to live in—and contribute to—a world that is increasingly complex, interdependent, and diverse. The Center pursues its mission by facilitating, amongst other initiatives, retreats, immersion learning, Roman Catholic, Muslim, Jewish and Protestant religious services, interfaith dialogue and social justice education.
The Faith and Race Program Director and Protestant Chaplain is responsible for two facets of the Center for Faith & Justice’s mission: the intersection of faith and race, and ministry for and with Protestant students. This position is a part of a dynamic team that enjoys collaboration and will report to the director of the center. With attention to our society’s particular context, this staff person will invite students to consider vocational discernment—who they will become in the world—consistent with the Jesuit values of our university. Responsibilities include:
- Organizing and supporting student leaders (“and teams” or “teams of student leaders”?).
- Developing campus wide partnerships and initiatives at the intersection of faith and race, in conjunction with the goals in the University’s Diversity and Inclusion Strategic plan.
- Building relationships between the Center for Diversity & Inclusion, the Office of Institutional Diversity & Inclusion, and the Center for Faith & Justice.
- Managing programs like Gospel Choir and Common Ground as a pastor to the Christian, non-Catholic students on campus, with a particular emphasis on the support and care of students who identify as Black.
- Providing leadership in the center, the Division of Student Affairs, and across campus as we seek to address interpersonal and structural racism in our community.
- Actively participating in a dynamic and collaborative department that has a multifaith chaplaincy staff.
An ideal candidate would have experience with our Jesuit tradition, and bring significant experience leading initiatives that promote inclusion, diversity, and pluralism. Candidates must have 3-5 years of pastoral experience, with a preference for experience in campus ministry, higher education, student formation, or young adult ministry. Commitment to the University’s mission, vision, and values is required.
A Master’s degree is required in the field of Theology, Divinity, Peace Studies, Higher Education Administration or a related field. We seek someone with a strong background in critical race theory and ordination in a Protestant denomination or tradition.
Xavier University is committed to equity, inclusion, and diversity. We can best pursue our mission as a Jesuit Catholic University by having a campus culture characterized by inclusion and significant numbers of diverse students and employees. We welcome a broad spectrum of candidates, and particularly invite applications from individuals who are under-represented in the profession. The successful candidate will have experience working with a diverse range of faculty and staff and will be able to engage diverse groups of students in learning opportunities. Candidates are encouraged to identify their experiences and interests related to Xavier’s commitment to inclusivity and diversity.
Xavier offers a comprehensive benefits package and more information on details can be found on the Xavier University's HR website .
Offer is contingent upon candidate passing a background check. To ensure consideration for this position, qualified/interested applicants must submit a cover letter, resume and the names and contact information of three professional references on Xavier University’s website by March 14, 2021 .
The preferred start for this position is May 1, but is flexible.
Xavier University is an Equal Opportunity Employer
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Cincinnati
- Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Cincinnati
- Other Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Cincinnati
- Student Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Cincinnati
- Disabled Student Services Not specified Full Time jobs in Cincinnati