Athletics Director of Digital Content
The Athletics Department at CU Boulder now encourages applications for an Athletics Director of Digital Content. The primary responsibility is to serve as the Director of Digital Content for the University of Colorado Athletics department which includes management and direction of the primary social media channels of CU Athletics, as well as the channels associated with football and men’s basketball. Your job will be to facilitate a positive social media presence for the CU Athletic Department through a variety of digital media platforms. You will also assist with strategy, execution, and analytics for all other CU Athletics social media properties.
In collaboration with Buffvision, Marketing, SID and other departments build and maintain a social media calendar for short-term initiatives and long-term campaigns:
- Lead all aspects of and execute day-to-day operations, including management of the digital content team.
- Create engaging content and storytelling (both written and video) in support of University of Colorado athletic events, coaches, staff and athletes.
- Work closely with other departments for partner promotions across all platforms. Perform duties as vital including photography, graphics/audio/video editing, website content management.
- Monitor relevant social media conversations, including identification of hot topics and fan sentiment, communicating with administration as vital.
Responsible for promoting the philosophy and objectives of the intercollegiate athletics program. This shall include adhering to the principles of the Athletic Department’s Mission Statement, Diversity and Inclusion Mission Statement, Core Values, Policies and Procedures, as well as the rules and regulations of the University, the Pac-12 Conference and the NCAA.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
As one of 34 U.S. public research institutions belonging to the prestigious Association of American Universities (AAU)—and the only member in the Rocky Mountain region—our goal at CU Boulder is to directly affect Colorado communities through collaborative research, innovation, and entrepreneurship. Our faculty, staff, and students work with the broader community to establish unique connections that have lasting outcomes—both across Colorado and around the world.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
Social Strategy and Execution:
- Responsible for day to day operations of CUBuffs, Colorado Football and Men’s Basketball communications across all social media platforms. Drive the voice and the creative brand of these channels. This includes but is not limited to brainstorming content, maintaining respective content calendars, content creation, scheduling and posting content as well as analyzing metrics.
- Responsible for the creation and implementation of an official Colorado Buffaloes social media strategy and style guide for reference and guidance for all collaborators when crafting content for official department social media accounts.
- Create a year round comprehensive content calendar incorporating competition, recruiting, special events, trends and other relevant opportunities as needed.
- Will collaborate with Buffvision, CU Video, SIDs, Marketing, Buff Club and other departments to develop engaging content that helps CU Athletics achieve strategic objectives.
- Work internally and with external vendors on main/football/men’s basketball social media channels on varying levels to ensure overall scope and brand of the athletic department is well represented.
- Assist with analytics of digital channels.
- Manage the execution of digital channel related sponsorship element execution through Buffalo Sports Properties and CLC as needed for main channel, football and men’s basketball as well as other channels as needed.
- Lead weekly creative meetings with appropriate internal staff with a primary focus on brainstorming content and deep diving into social strategy (what’s new on social, how to best use each platform, standard methodologies).
- Collaborate with marketing, advancement, ticketing and sales to create and execute revenue generating campaigns.
- Work with Buffvision and other video content producers to coordinate the shooting, editing and production of social media specific video packages that will perform well on intended platforms and will improve the Colorado Buffaloes brand among fans, donors, students and potential student-athletes.
Social Media Brand Education:
- Lead social media brand training and classes to better educate and empower our student-athletes, coaches and staff through a positive social media presence.
- Assist coaches, student-athletes and staff with personal branding and social media standards. Provide photos, graphics and more for all relevant groups to share on social media.
- Coordinate with Sports Information and Leadership and Career Development to educate student-athletes on personal branding, standard methodologies and department and sport policies related to social media, while keeping up-to-date with Name Image and Likeness standard methodologies including following guidelines and regulations set by compliance and the NCAA.
What You Should Know
- This position requires evening and weekend work as well as some travel.
What We Can Offer
- The salary rate is $60,000.
- Additional Compensation Details: Relocation is available within department guidelines.
- Additional Athletics benefits include: Athletic Event Tickets: Per Athletic Department Policy and NCAA regulations, Nike Elite Employee Benefit: Per Nike Elite Policy.
- Supplemental camp pay: per Athletic Department Summer Camp Policy.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits , including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder .
Be Creative. Be Engaged. Be Boulder.
What We Require
- Bachelor’s Degree in marketing, journalism, communication or other applicable area of study. Equivalent combination of education and experience may substitute.
- Three years of experience managing digital social media and/or related marketing, preferably in a sports setting with a Division I college or professional team.
What You Will Need
- Proven understanding of social media standard methodologies & social sites including Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, Tiktok etc.
- Proven management and communication abilities to lead and collaborate with a diverse group of staff and students.
- Ability to create and maintain social content calendars and communicate/collaborate with cross functional groups to execute responsibilities.
- Multitasking and prioritizing assignments is a crucial skill for this position.
- Skills and experience in social media management and strategy.
- Skill with editing photo and video, clip highlights.
- Skills with Adobe Creative Suite.
What We Would Like You To Have
- More than three years of full time experience in social media strategy and execution.
- Division I intercollegiate experience and knowledge of the Colorado Buffaloes or Pac-12 Conference.
- Skills and experience in graphic design, video, athletics photography and photography editing.
- Experience managing and developing employees as well as student interns.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- A current resume.
- A cover letter that specifically addresses how your background and experience align with the requirements, qualifications and responsibilities of the position.
You will not be asked to upload references at this time.
Please apply by March 2, 2021 for consideration.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, applications must be submitted through CU Boulder Jobs .
Posting Contact Information
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org