Senior Financial Analyst
We are encouraging applications for a dynamic financial professional to further LASP’s science mission by providing coordination and support to individual programs as well as aiding LASP faculty in managing sponsored research programs. This professional will have a technology-first approach to solving problems and optimizing processes. Duties include research, selection, and compilation of financial data from multiple sources, such as production, accounting, vendors, and subsequent analysis of that data to produce business information used to support decisions. Data are often difficult to acquire and may be diluted with unnecessary data points. Identifies questionable data and may then direct others in verifying the accuracy of data. Provides and presents an executive summary of data results in a simplified understandable outline. Work assignments are of the greatest difficulty and largest financial impact. Provides work leadership and direction to other professional and clerical staff with respect to project approach and identification of project tasks. Decisions may impact the effectiveness and efficiency of administrative and business processes.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
The Laboratory for Atmospheric and Space Physics (LASP) develops, designs, and builds instruments and spacecraft for space-based observations of the Sun, Earth, and planets. LASP has built instruments and participated in missions to every planet in the solar system. LASP manages the financial aspects for over 170 active grants and contracts, from proposal through the award.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
- Perform work of varied and considerable difficulty requiring advanced data collection, analysis, forecasting, and compiling and writing reports.
- Function as the Financial Program Analyst for multi-year projects. This includes working closely with Engineering Management, Principal Investigators, and other project partners to provide financial data analysis, track costs, and advise on financial matters.
- Review research grants and/or contracts to ensure project compliance with reporting requirements and identify issues as vital.
- Apply knowledge of accounting principles, auditing standards, budgeting principles, auditing standards, budgeting practices, public administration, and/or legal and regulatory compliance.
- Interact frequently with program managers, functional managers, and directors requiring a high level of communication skills to analyze or resolve issues.
- Develop, interpret, and/or evaluate compliance with policies and procedures.
- May impact policy and budget decisions at the department and lab levels.
- Work independently or as a team member within existing guidelines and policies.
- Provide peer assistance in specialty areas or serves as a leader for a team or small work unit.
- Exercise considerable discretion and judgment in making recommendations related to the allocation of funds, expenditures, and capital investments.
- May conduct special financial and business-related studies and cooperates with other departments in the preparation of analyses.
- Consult with program management on the benefits and impacts of critical decisions.
- Other duties as assigned to facilitate continuity within research programs at LASP.
What You Should Know
Due to U.S. Export Control Restrictions, only U.S. Citizens and Permanent Residents may apply.
What We Can Offer
Salary Range is $81,500-$95,000.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits , including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder .
Be Curious. Be Impactful. Be Boulder.
What We Require
Bachelor’s degree in business or equivalent, with 6 to 9+ years of experience or a master’s of business administration and 4 to 7+ years of experience.
What You Will Need
- Understands the federal, state, and university guiding principles.
- Demonstrated ability to research, investigate, analyze, reconcile, and evaluate data.
- Able to generate financial statement reports for internal and external customers.
- Effective decision-making and accurate analysis of program use of time, money, and resources.
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel.
- Outstanding organizational skills with the ability to multi-task while under pressure.
What We Would Like You To Have
- Bachelor’s/Master’s degree in accounting or finance.
- Understanding of Business Analytics and Business Intelligence.
- Understanding of Microsoft Power BI.
- Understanding of Visual Basic (VBA) specifically for Excel.
- Understanding of SQL.
- Understanding of Deltek/Cobra or other project management tools.
- Understanding of Earned value management.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- Cover Letter
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, applications must be submitted through CU Boulder Jobs.
Posting Contact Information
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: Recruiting@colorado.edu