Under the supervision of a custodial supervisor, a full-time custodian completes custodial maintenance of assigned buildings on campus. Custodians oversee and train part-time and student custodial workers to assist in the cleaning and maintenance of campus buildings. Additional information about the department and program offerings can be found online at https://campus.dixie.edu/ .
- Responsible for custodial maintenance of assigned buildings.
- Clean and maintain floors in buildings by vacuuming, sweeping, mopping, waxing, and shampooing carpets, as well as pool and other wet areas as needed.
- Clean and supply restrooms, using germicidal detergents and acid cleaners.
- Clean and maintain entrances to buildings and perimeter of buildings (up to approximately 10 feet out of building structure), such as trash pick-up, removal of gum, graffiti, cobwebs, other debris, etc.
- Collect and dispose of garbage within the facilities and exterior trash cans.
- Wash walls, chalkboards/whiteboards, and furniture, removing chewing gum, smudges, black marks, graffiti, etc.
- Wash windows and window frames; change interior and exterior lights as needed.
- Coordinate cleaning with building schedule and notify Public Safety of any problems that may arise in the building.
- Repair small items and seek help with skilled personnel on specialized projects, as needed.
- Assist with moving heavy equipment and furniture.
- Supervise and train part-time and student custodians in their work assignments, as well as in safe and proper procedures.
- Identify building custodial needs and take corrective action.
- Assist with special projects throughout campus, as directed by supervisor.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or equivalent GED required.
- Two years’ related experience required.
- Basic knowledge of computers (e.g. work processing and email).
- Good knowledge of tools and equipment used in custodial services, such as industrial vacuums, rotary floor scrubber, carpet extractor, and large riding equipment. Experience cleaning within lab or specialized classrooms preferred.
- Ability to supervise and train part-time and student employees to complete assigned tasks.
- Considerable knowledge of practice and procedures in custodial services.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, and maintain effective working relations.
- Outgoing personality, with a history of dependability, reliability, and initiative.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds; physical exam and drug testing required.
- Must be able to work either a day shift (6 am – 2 pm), swing shift (2 pm – 10 pm), or graveyard shift (10 pm – 6 am) schedule, as building assignment requires.
POSITION DETAILS, COMPENSATION & BENEFITS: Full-time classified staff (overtime-eligible) position. Annual salary of $30,000. Desired start date of April 2021. Excellent benefits package included (see https://humanresources.dixie.edu/employee-benefits/ under "Benefits Summary" for more details).
ELECTRONIC APPLICATION PROCEDURES: Application review begins March 15 , 2021 . Submit cover letter, resume, and contact information (including email) for three professional references electronically. If, because of a disability, you need special services or facilities in order to apply for this opening, please call the Human Resources Office at (435) 652-7520.
ABOUT THE UNIVERSITY: Dixie State University is an open, inclusive, comprehensive, polytechnic institution committed to exceptional student learning and success. DSU has adopted an instructional approach of "active learning. active life" and a culture of innovation and entrepreneurship. We seek faculty and staff committed to providing students with an active, applied and career-oriented learning environment that is student-centered. Established in 1911 as a community college and in 2013 as a state university, DSU is located in picturesque southwestern Utah with its red rocks, desert climate, over 300 days of sunshine annually, and featuring easy access to world-class outdoor recreational opportunities. The nearest metropolitan area is Las Vegas, NV (120 miles) with amenities such as an international airport and professional sporting teams. Click here to learn more about the University.
Dixie State currently has approximately 12,000 students and has been a fast-growing Utah public institution of higher education over the last several years. We offer over 210 programs, including masters, bachelors, associates, certificates, endorsements, minors, and/or emphases. DSU seeks to recruit and retain diverse and ambitious faculty and staff who bring new ideas, possess values and career aspirations aligned with the mission and vision, and are inspired to build a premier open, inclusive, comprehensive, polytechnic university. DSU is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer; the President and employees of DSU are fully committed to Affirmative Action and within its programs and activities, including in admissions and employment, Dixie State University does not discriminate or tolerate discrimination, including harassment, based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other status protected by University policy, Title IX, or any other federal, state or local law.
The following individuals have been designated to handle inquiries regarding the application of Title IX and its implementing regulations and/or DSU’s non-discrimination policies:
- Director of Equity Compliance / Title IX Coordinator: Hazel Sainsbury - email@example.com , HCC 579, 435-652-7747.
- Deputy Title IX Coordinator: Abby Del Giacco - firstname.lastname@example.org , 435-652-7731.
- U.S. Department of Education, Office of Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, email@example.com , 800-421-3481.
- U.S. Department of Education, Denver Regional Office, firstname.lastname@example.org , 303-844-5695.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.