Assistant or Associate Professor in Literacy & ATCP
Job Title Assistant or Associate Professor in Literacy & ATCP Rank Assistant Professor Classification Title Tenure Track Position Summary
New Mexico Highlands University is an open admissions university with over 70% Hispanic or African American students with nearly 40% studying at the Master’s Degree level. The university is committed to student success and improved retention and graduation rates. NMHU serves approximately 2,500 undergraduate and graduate students at the main campus in Las Vegas, NM (one hour east of Santa Fe) and another 1,300 students at centers in Santa Fe, Rio Rancho, and Albuquerque. For more information about the university, visit the website at www.nmhu.edu.
The School of Education is comprised of four academic departments including Educational Leadership, Curriculum and Instruction, Teacher Education/Special Education, and Counseling. The Department of Curriculum and Instruction offers an MA in Curriculum and Instruction with diverse emphasis areas in Reading, Bilingual/ TESOL, Gifted, Alternative Teacher License Program ( ATCP ), and various subject areas. The Department of Curriculum and Instruction is responsible for a wide range of general education courses for graduate students such as Statistics for Educators, Research Interpretation, Advanced Educational Psychology, Principles of Curriculum and Instruction, and Socio-cultural Factors Affecting Education. In addition to the general education courses, the Department of Curriculum and Instruction provides the full range of Reading courses for both graduate and undergraduate students. Applications are invited for a nine-month tenure-track faculty position with a contract starting in August 2021.
Duties and Responsibilities
Faculty contractual duties include teaching a full load equivalent to four courses (12 Credit Hours) per semester or the equivalent of 24 Credit Hours per Academic Year. A successful candidate will serve on departmental and school committees, and assist with advising/mentoring graduate students, and perform other related duties as assigned. The successful candidate will engage with scholarly activities that pertain to research, publication, and presentation at professional conference.
Minimum requirements include a Doctoral degree in the area of Reading, Language and Literacy, Teacher Education or closely related area. The candidate will have two or more years of teaching experience in Pre-K through grade 12 public schools. In addition, the candidate will have two or more years of teaching experience in graduate and undergraduate courses in education. The candidate must be capable of teaching and communicating with colleagues and students via electronic and digital modalities demonstrated knowledge and experience in various teaching modalities including face-to-face, online synchronous or asynchronous, and blended learning. ABD will be considered if completion is expected prior to the appointment date.
The preferred candidate will have experience providing outreach to first generation college students, experience with distance and technology education delivery systems, demonstrated experience in forming partnerships with school districts, and membership and involvements in one or more professional organizations.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Proficiency teaching and communicating with colleagues and students via electronic and digital modalities.
- Proficiency in Brightspace (Desire2Learn) and other Learning Management System.
- Proficiency with student advisement / information system (e.g., Degree Audit or Self-Banner system)
- Proficiency in assessment system (e.g., VIA ) or willingness to be trained in assessment system.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to adapt to new and changing processes and technologies.
- Understand NM public education system.
Work Location Las Vegas, NM Campus
Posting Number F203P Posting Open Date 02/25/2021 Posting Close Date Open Until Filled Yes Special Instructions to Applicants
A complete application must include 1) A letter of application, 2) Curriculum vitae, 3) Unofficial copies of advanced degree transcripts. Online application must include names, phone numbers, and e‐mail addresses of three (3) professional references. References will be contacted in conjunction with a phone and/or on-campus (Zoom) interview and official transcripts should be requested upon acceptance of the on-campus interview. For more detailed information regarding the position you may contact: Dr. Seonsook Park at firstname.lastname@example.org. For disabled access or services call 505-454-3242 or TDD 505-454-3003. New Mexico Highlands University is an EEO Employer.
Quick Link https://nmhu.peopleadmin.com/postings/6271 Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Public Job Posting
- Internal Job Posting
- Agency Referral
- Personal Referral
- * What is the highest level of education attained?
- High School Diploma
- Associates Degree
- Bachelors Degree
- Masters Degree
- * Will you have a Ph.D. in hand by the date of appointment or
an advanced ABD by the date of the appointment?
- * How many years of experience do you have in this type of
- Please describe the attributes that will make you a strong
candidate for this position
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter/ Letter of Interest
- Curriculum Vitae
- Unofficial Transcripts Conferring Required Degree
- List of Three Professional References with Name, Address and E-Mail
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Las Vegas
- Education Not specified Full Time jobs in Las Vegas
- Curriculum & Instruction Not specified Full Time jobs in Las Vegas
- Instructional Technology & Design Not specified Full Time jobs in Las Vegas
- Other Education Not specified Full Time jobs in Las Vegas