Assistant Professor in Residence, Illustration
Assistant Professor in Residence, Illustration
Critical Review Track (similar to tenure track)
The Department of Illustration in the Division of Fine Arts at Rhode Island School of Design invites applications for a one-year term full-faculty appointment at the rank of Assistant Professor in Residence, to commence fall 2021.
RISD recognizes diversity and inclusion as fundamental to its learning community and integral to an art and design education. We welcome candidates whose experience in teaching, scholarship, professional practice, or service has prepared them to contribute to our commitment social equity and inclusion.
The department seeks an accomplished educator and practitioner capable of teaching coursework centered on studio practice while addressing the conceptual dimensions of illustrative art and its relevance to professional practice. The successful candidate will have a strong professional record, characterized by a forward-thinking portfolio of work as an illustrator. (S)he must be an able communicator who understands the development and critique of narrative imagery, and will preferably have a teaching practice and/or professional work that addresses issues of contemporary concern: promotion of just societies, sustainability and new ways of making and knowing in alignment with RISD’s 2020-2027 Strategic Plan: https://cdn.risd.systems/webhook-uploads/1567098852561_next_final_8_26_19.pdf.
● Terminal degree: MFA or its equivalent in illustration or a related field. In some cases, an undergraduate degree with commensurate experience will be considered;
● Significant professional experience and an active illustration practice (not limited to traditional market areas); The applicant must demonstrate a significant record of achievement and a personal artistic vision that is reflected in their application.
● Experience teaching college-level courses.
● Flexibility in teaching a range of studio courses, from required sophomore classes in visual thinking+visual strategies and drawing, to advanced electives that relate to one or more illustration sub-genres including publishing or design. Skills in digital imaging are strongly preferred.
● Insightful critical thinking and the ability to comfortably engage students in discourse on the complexities and challenges of contemporary illustration.
● We are particularly interested in candidates whose, research and/or practice centers on works and bodies of knowledge from historically underrepresented communities.
● Strong interpersonal skills are essential.
Department /RISD Description
Rhode Island School of Design is an undergraduate and graduate college of art and design with approximately 2,400 graduate and undergraduate students.
The Illustration Department is the largest undergraduate major at RISD, with a broad-based curriculum that embraces visual communication as a poetic synthesis of ideas, imagery, and materiality. Our program acknowledges the continuing relevance of traditional techniques while embracing new media essential to success in the rapidly changing professional landscape. We value rigorous critical inquiry and reflexive practice in the education of our students, with the aim of introducing innovative and impactful approaches to illustration in the public realm.
The full-time faculty teaching load is six courses a year. Term appointees serve on one college committee, advise undergraduate illustration majors, will participate in curriculum development and other departmental activities and projects, and contribute to the vibrancy of the intellectual life of the college. Pending administrative approval, term appointments may be renewed for a second year.
The successful candidate will be required to meet our pre-employment background screening requirements.
Special Instructions to Applicants
● A teaching philosophy that includes how the candidate addresses diversity and inclusion as fundamental to a learning community
● Letter of interest
● Curriculum vitae
● Images of recent professional work (20 images maximum, the images should be submitted in slideshow format and include an image description list or descriptive captions)
● Images of student work (20 images maximum, the images should be submitted in slideshow format and include an image description list and contextualizing captions)
● Evidence of teaching excellence, including syllabi with culturally diverse content that models constructive and inclusive discussions to foster student intellectual and creative growth.
Names and contact information for three references are requested as part of the application process. Requests for reference letters are sent directly to the reference providers at the semi-finalist stage.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Candidates who submit their materials before March 10, 2021 are assured full consideration.
RISD is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, or any other protected characteristic as established by law.
Open Until Filled
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Documents Needed To Apply
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Portfolio of Professional Work
- Portfolio of Student Work
- Teaching Philosophy
- Sample Syllabi