Job No: 496661
Position Type: full-time
Location: Lewisburg, PA
Categories: Library & IT
Library and Information Technology at Bucknell is a unified organization that has evolved dramatically, shedding over time many of the distinctions that frequently separate university library and information technology departments. Library & IT takes pride in its accomplishments and its important role at Bucknell. Staff members are committed to professionalism, excellence and service through: innovation and creativity; collaboration; diversity and inclusion; integrity; trust and trustworthiness; and communication and transparency.
About the team:
Solutions Development is a group of technology professionals who leverage their software development skills and knowledge to solve real world business problems for students, faculty, and staff across Bucknell University. These solutions can range in scope and complexity from custom built software system to integration and configuration of third-party products. The team utilizes a wide array of industry-leading technologies, platforms, and development techniques to meet the diverse needs of the University's many functional user groups in accordance with the Bucknell University Strategic Plan.
About the role:
The Software Engineer is an individual who is enthusiastic about using technology to make the lives of Bucknell University's end users easier and more productive. To accomplish this goal, the engineer must be able to listen to the end users needs, empathize with their plight, distill key information from ambiguous requirements, synthesize and convey a solution, acquire consensus with stakeholders, and finally work with their colleagues across the University to implement such a solution.
All Library & Information Technology staff members are expected to contribute to Bucknell's commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Design, develop, deploy and maintain software based solutions that empower end users and meet their business needs inline with the strategic objectives of the department.
- Write high-quality, efficient, testable code in one or more modern development languages.
- Take responsibility for technical problem solving, creatively meeting development cycle objectives within a defined space of time.
- Collaborate with other members of the Solutions Development team to continuously evaluate and shape development best practices and patterns.
- Mentor and review work of entry and student level developers
- Collaborate with SysOps engineers and Technical Support Staff to ensure efficient and reliable support, monitoring and maintenance of developed solutions.
- Maintain, respect, and protect the confidentiality of information held within or transferred across the University's computer and communication resources in any format.
- Provide technical subject matter expertise by taking on a consultative role as it pertains to technology, both on premises and cloud.
- Respond to requests to address auditor recommendations and comply with set standards and goals.
- Perform event and incident management, troubleshooting and plan break/fix scenarios.
- Manage complex and multidisciplinary projects including both technical and functional elements and constituents.
- Comply with university computing and data security standards.
- Perform other duties as assigned or requested.
Candidates must have one of the following:
- An associate's degree in computer science or a related technical field and seven years of experience (in one of the areas noted above)
- A bachelor's degree in computer science or a related technical field and five years of experience (in one of the areas noted above)
- A master's degree in computer science or a related technical field and three years of experience (in one of the areas noted above)
Additionally, all candidates must have:
- Fundamental knowledge of object-oriented design, data structures, and algorithms.
- Strong verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Ability to effectively articulate technical challenges and solutions.
- Ability to deal well with ambiguous/undefined problems; ability to think abstractly.
- Ability to be willing to respond to occasional emergency situations as they arise outside of normal working hours.
- A willingness to flex schedule for planned outages and upgrades as needed.
Exempt employees are required to work as much time as is
necessary to fulfill the requirements of the position without
additional compensation, even if the work is performed beyond
“normal” work hours.
- Experience developing server-side solution with one or more of the following development languages; .Net, Java, Kotlin
- Experience with client-side MVC frameworks like Angular, React, Vue, or similar.
- Experience with agile development approaches including continuous integration, unit testing, and iterative development.
- Experience with AWS technologies including Lambda, SNS, SQS, S3, CloudFormation
- Experience with container technologies such as Docker, ECS, or Kubernetes
- Experience development and consumption of both REST and SOAP based Web Services
- Strong comfort levels with Linux and command line tools
- Experience with version control systems such as GitHub or GitLab
- Experience with Relational or NoSQL database environments such as Oracle, MS SQL Server or MongoDB
- Knowledge of functional programming concepts
Founded in 1846 and located along the banks of the Susquehanna River in historic Lewisburg, Pa., Bucknell University is an undergraduate-focused institution that stands uniquely at the intersection of top-ranked liberal arts, engineering and management programs. Our students choose from more than 50 majors and 60 minors in the arts, engineering, humanities, management, and natural and social sciences, as well as extensive global study, service-learning and research opportunities. Bucknell's 3,600 undergraduate and 100 graduate students enjoy a low 9:1 student-faculty ratio and exceptional opportunities to collaborate with faculty mentors.
Bucknell's beautiful 450-acre campus includes first-rate facilities and is home to more than 90 percent of its students. Residential life is vibrant with about 150 student-run organizations, 27 NCAA Division I athletic teams, a robust arts culture, and a strong student commitment to community and global service work.
Bucknell is committed to fostering an environment that embraces diversity, equity and inclusion, and we seek candidates who will contribute to a climate that supports the growth and development of a diverse campus community. The University provides equal opportunity without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, marital status, veteran status or disability in admissions, employment and in all of its educational programs and activities. We encourage individuals from historically underrepresented groups to apply.
Located in central Pennsylvania, Lewisburg features a variety of restaurants, beautiful Victorian homes, the restored art deco Campus Theatre (owned by the University), charming shops and boutiques, and the Barnes and Noble at Bucknell University Bookstore. About 33,000 residents live in the region.
The city of Williamsport is about a 30-minute drive from campus, and Penn State University's main campus is about an hour away, as is Harrisburg, Pennsylvania's state capital. Bucknell is about three hours from New York City, Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington, D.C.
The cost of living here is low compared to that of major U.S. cities and suburbs. Bucknell's surroundings yield fresh produce, cultural activities and events, and many opportunities for outdoor activity on the Susquehanna River and in the nearby state parks and forests. The Lewisburg Area School District receives excellent reviews for its schools at all grade levels. Lewisburg Area High School is consistently ranked among the top 50 high schools in Pennsylvania for SAT scores and statewide exams.
Advertised: 24 Feb 2021 Eastern Standard Time
To apply, visit https://careers.bucknell.edu/en-us/job/496661/software-engineer