Assistant/Associate Director of Leadership Gifts
Assistant/Associate Director of Leadership Gifts
Department: Alumnae/i Affairs & Development Office
Duration of Position: Full year / Full time
Employee Type: Administrator
Posting Date: 02/24/2021
Union Representation: Not Applicable
Posting Number: AS044P
About Vassar College
Located in the scenic Mid-Hudson Valley, Vassar College is a highly selective, residential, coeducational liberal arts college. Vassar is strongly committed to fostering a community that reflects the values of a liberal arts education and to promoting an environment of equality, inclusion and respect for difference. Vassar College is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer, and applications from members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged. Vassar College is a smoke-free, tobacco-free campus.
Position Summary and Responsibilities
Founded in 1861, Vassar was established with a mission to offer young women a liberal arts education equal to the best men's colleges of the day. Coeducational since 1969, Vassar continues to reflect its bold and distinctive history of progressive leadership in higher education and is consistently ranked among the country's top residential liberal arts institutions.
Today, under the leadership of our current president, Elizabeth H. Bradley, Vassar is deeply engaged in a comprehensive and participatory approach to the ongoing work of becoming a fully inclusive and equitable community. We affirm the inherent value of a diverse campus through a commitment to need-blind admissions and a curriculum that is reflective of the interconnectedness of our lives as members of multiple local and global communities.
Vassar is poised to launch an historic $500 million comprehensive campaign that will deepen our investment in financial aid and student life, expand research opportunities for our world-class faculty, and provide critical support for curricular innovation, racial justice and community engagement, environmental sustainability, admissions and career education. We welcome candidates who have experience within and beyond higher education who embrace Vassar's mission and its commitment to diversity and inclusion, and who wish to have a real impact on advancing the College at this pivotal time.
The Office of Alumnae/i Affairs and Development (OAAD) is seeking a strategic, results-driven Assistant/Associate Director of Leadership Gifts to join our team of talented and dedicated fundraising professionals. In this position, the Assistant/Associate Director of Leadership Gifts will play an important role in expanding Vassar's pipeline of newly identified high-capacity donors as well as deepening the philanthropic engagement of current donors. The Assistant/Associate Director of Leadership Gifts will have primary responsibility for managing a portfolio of approximately 250 highly rated alumnae/i and will develop and implement cultivation plans to engage, solicit, and steward prospects and donors with a capacity to make gifts of $100K+. Strong communications and relationship-building skills are essential. This position works independently and as part of a collaborative and supportive fundraising team, and will develop opportunities for donors to engage with a range of campus partners, including the president, trustees, faculty, and key administrators.
The Assistant/Associate Director of Leadership Gifts reports to the Senior Director of Leadership Gifts. This position is temporarily remote, through July 2021. The possibility of working remotely on a permanent basis may be considered. Title and salary will be determined based on the level of experience of the successful candidate.
- Raise financial support for the College by successfully cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding a pool of 250 +/- prospects who have the capacity to make a gift of $100K or more in both current funding and through future gifts (bequests and other gift planning vehicles). The position is also required to seek and maintain consistent annual support for the Vassar Fund at levels between $1,500 and $50,000 each year from the majority of prospects in the gift officer's portfolio.
- Work collaboratively with other members of the OAAD team to
identify, qualify, cultivate, research, and solicit prospective and
- Maintain regular personal contact with assigned prospects via
email, phone, virtual meetings, and in-person visits. When we are
able to resume meeting in person, the gift officer will travel 6-10
days each month to meet with current and prospective donors, and
will also arrange and host small gatherings and help to host larger
- Follow up all contacts with meticulous, thoughtful, and
appropriate correspondence and maintain internal record-keeping as
defined by office protocols.
- Develop and write gift proposals, assemble supporting
documentation, and oversee the execution of pledge and gift
- Develop and maintain a thorough knowledge of Vassar College,
its history, people, programs, and initiatives.
- Host, attend, and support alumnae/i and donor relations
activities related to assigned responsibilities, including campaign
events, volunteer meetings, and regional programs.
- Understand and meet department standards, policies, and
procedures with respect to all aspects of his/her work.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Must be willing to work certain weekends throughout the year (Reunion, some regional program and campaign events, various campus events, etc.)
- Bachelor’s degree or commensurate experience
- A solid track record of success in fundraising, financial
services, marketing/sales, client services, or educational
management is preferred.
- Proficiency working with Customer Relationship Management (CRM)
databases and reporting tools highly desirable.
- Highly-motivated and strategic thinker with the ability to
listen carefully and communicate clearly, demonstrate initiative,
and to relate comfortably and respectfully with people of diverse
interests and backgrounds.
- Excellent writing and communication skills.
- Ability to travel extensively and flexibility with work hours required, including occasional weekends and evenings.
Special Instructions to Applicants
To complete your on-line application, you will be required to attach your resume, cover letter, and contact information for 3 professional references. All attachments must be in PDF format. Review of applications will begin immediately. If you have any questions, please contact Human Resources, 845-437-5820.
For full consideration applicants should apply by:
All applicants must apply online at: https://employment.vassar.edu/postings/1798.