Senior Software Engineer
The Senior Software Engineer role works as the technical leader and driver of the Software Engineering team to help deliver innovative solutions for The College, its clients, and partners. Provide ongoing development, support, and maintenance for the main college commerce platform as well as internal applications that utilize PHP and Drupal 7/8 on Linux web servers. Develop custom integrations leveraging internal and third-party SOAP/REST API’s. Establish and communicate standards to manage cost and ensure continuity of applications and work with outside vendors and agencies when developing tests to ensure feature functionality. Provide first-level support in researching and addressing issues for business systems applications and work directly with system users on process efficiency through the use of the system.
The Sr. Software Engineering role has a backend developer and full-stack skillset that includes proven problem-solving capabilities and the ability to quickly learn the College’s custom Drupal commerce implementation. Experiencing working in a Linux environment and a thorough understanding of the LAMP stack is critical in the success of this role.
You will be:
- Collaborating with business analysts, project managers & other engineers on a daily basis.
- Deliver new features, enhancements, and bug fixes to the College’s current Drupal installations.
- Optimize applications for performance, scalability, and durability.
- Continuing to help integrate Drupal with various applications within the College.
- High School and related experience.
- 5 years of experience developing applications using PHP, and Drupal.
- 3 years of experience developing or integration web services using SOAP/REST APIs.
- Strong experience using the Linux CLI to help configure and manage Ubuntu and CentOS servers that help support internal and external websites.
- Sound analytical and problem-solving skills with attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability to work well as part of a team and independently.
- Ability to speak comfortably with internal team members, stakeholders, end-users & external clients.
- Familiarity with Drupal commerce and PCI compliance
- A full, semantic understanding of HTML5, CSS3, and Sass.
- Advanced knowledge of the LAMP stack & OOP design principles.
- Database server management (MySQL, SQLite)
- Linux CLI with the ability to write custom bash/shell scripts.
- Version Control (GIT)
- SOAP/REST APIs and design patterns.
- Composer to configure and manage application dependencies.
- Npm to configure and manage development environment dependencies.
- Configuring automated task runners such as Gulp / Grunt.
- Experience using tools such as JIRA, Confluence, Bitbucket, Bitbucket Pipelines, and Jenkins.
- Strong understanding of the CI/CD pipeline and automation.
- Agile Software Development methodology
The American College is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals. We administer all phases of employment activity without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital, disability, military, or veteran status.