Chief Information Officer
Connecticut State Colleges and Universities System
Chief Information Officer
Academic Career & Executive Search is pleased to assist Connecticut State Colleges and Universities System in their search for an exceptional Chief Information Officer (CIO) and leader.
The CIO position is a rewarding opportunity for a highly collaborative, solutions driven IT professional well versed in the technology and security needs of a highly matrixed, unionized organization.
This vital role in the Connecticut State Colleges and Universities System comes at a critical time to meet the needs of a planned merger of its twelve community colleges and continued improvements at the four state universities and online college as well as providing transformational leadership in developing and standardizing system wide approaches and best practices relating to the technology and security needs of the entire system.
The Chief Information Officer position reports directly to the CSCU Chief of Staff/COO and serves as a member of the President’s senior staff.
The position offers excellent benefits.
The CSCU CIO serves as the CSCU System's most Senior IT Leader and is responsible for creating, managing, and directing the CSCU IT vision, strategy, and roadmap to help fulfill the mission and vision of the CSCU system. The CIO is responsible for leading the organization’s Information Technology strategy, operation, and function including building and managing the infrastructure, technologies as well as data that enable digital transformation. The CIO directs the comprehensive design, development, installation, and operation of academic and administrative information technology creating an efficient and effective CSCU Systems environment. This includes development of strategic System policies for the use of IT systems in support of the CSCU and Campus’ mission and strategic plans.
The position is located at the CSCU System Office. It supports System-wide computing, network, and telecom services which includes the design and development of systems for automation of student information, financial management, human resource data management, alumni and development information, library services, emergency operations, and facilities related controls. Manages and oversees the information security program for the CSCU. Provides support for contracting, purchasing, and strategic vendor relations. Manages and oversees strategic technology contracts for the System. Develops, implements, and manages the CSCU IT vision and strategic planning efforts. The position, as a key advisor to the CSCU President, CSCU Chief of Staff/COO, and Executive Staff and plays an important role in the development of policy and strategy regarding the use of information technology in long range fiscal and operational planning for the System. The CIO keeps abreast of new and emerging digital and business trends, develops and executes an IT strategy that takes advantage of these trends, and collaborates with other business leaders to embed digital opportunities in business strategy. The role is responsible for shared business service strategy and operations, enabling cross-functional synergies, consolidating shared services, managing vendor relationships, and coordinating with business leaders to understand needs and coordinate anticipated technology and product changes. The position manages an annual operating and recurring capital budget of more than $14 million.
The position provides supervision to a staff of 35 or more professional, managerial, technical and support personnel, with oversight over constituent units’ IT staff.
- Provide strategic direction for the long-term development of the System's information technology, including research into emerging technology and setting standards and policy for installations, maintenance, operations and security.
- Partners and collaborates with Provost and VPs in advocating for use of technology in campus operations, funding, and integration into academic and physical building operations, identifying opportunities for innovation, optimization, and efficiencies across all major divisions.
- Serves as advocate for technology portfolio optimization and operation and rationalization, ensuring that the CSCU system maximizes its investment in current and future technology acquisitions.
- Ensures interoperability throughout the digital product portfolio of technology to create value to system office and works with internal and external stakeholders to identify service improvement and innovation opportunities and oversees the creation of service roadmaps.
- Directs the design, development, installation and maintenance of the System Office’s computer, network, and telecom infrastructure. This responsibility includes determining the needs of various technology users throughout the System; determining the technology available to meet those needs; developing budgets, selecting proper equipment and software, project management and oversight, and directing the installation, testing and operation of the systems and conducting system documentation and security reviews throughout the lifecycle of the system.
- Serves as primary liaison on behalf of CSCU system with State, Federal, Audit organizations for information technology related requests.
- Oversees the office of the CIO to meet strategic planning, budget management, communication and functional coordination goals. Manages the portfolio of shared business services and oversees change management initiatives, business analytics, sourcing and contracting, etc.
- Manages IT Governance Structure (BOR Directed Policy) and sets policies and standards for IT operations and procurement through the IT Governance Structure. Provides oversight and approves strategic IT procurement and projects, ensuring optimization and standardization and facilitates regularly scheduled meetings with system CIO representatives.
- Oversees, develops, audits and implements the CSCU Information Security Program, setting standard for data security and operational integrity of IT systems and related data. Manages and oversees the information security program at all 18 entities, working closely with campus IT and executive leadership to ensure program goals. In this capacity conducts emergency CAB authorizations, approves risk assessments and firewall rule changes.
- Responsible for protecting the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of data and information systems and strengthening the Systems preparedness, timely response, and rapid recovery in the event of a cyber-attack, natural disaster, or other emergency or overall business continuity needs.
- Performs comprehensive annual and long term budget planning to effectively manage annual operating costs and system wide capital projects funded through capital designations. Develops and brokers contracts with various parties which allow for the successful investment of digital technology at the campus level including suitable cost allocation structures for internal organizations. Assures the effective and efficient operation of the System's automated systems including its networks, computers, telecommunications equipment, automated academic support and the production of computerized output by effective direction of all those functions.
- Provides effective leadership and direction to assigned staff including such actions as selecting, training and developing staff, providing technical and administrative guidance and reviewing and evaluating staff performance.
- Ensures the standardization of systems and applications, while maintaining a strategic relationship with key vendors. Working closely with industry partners, the CIO will ensure maximum standardization and technology efficiency through vendor relations and strong communications with campus IT leadership. Manages all strategic IT contracts working closely with Finance to ensure maximum return on investment.
- Provides ongoing support to service managers/owners by acting as a sounding board in a business- and people-related capacity; uses high-level consulting skills to coach and provide feedback to service managers on leadership direction and style
- Educates C-level peers and the business at large about the benefits of integrated business services and facilitates consensus on business process standardization
· BS and/or MS in a related field; 15 years of experience in a higher education system or large complex organization with progressive technology leadership positions.
· Demonstrated ability in leading information technology to the needs of a complex organization with multiple locations and large numbers of users in systems and applications
· Experience securing and managing highly confidential data, ID and personal data protection including non-employee and customer data.
· Demonstrated ability to develop strategic plans for long term future needs in those fields.
· Demonstrated ability to direct the work of professional and technical staff in designing, developing, installing, operating and maintaining complex technical systems, and communicating technical requirements to campus executives in alignment with institutions’ strategic goals.
· Demonstrated ability to manage large budgets for personal services, capital and operating expenses.
- Higher education experience
- Experience working within a unionized environment
About Connecticut State Colleges and Universities (CSCU)
The Connecticut State Colleges and Universities (CSCU) are a system of 17 public colleges and universities across Connecticut, under the governing authority of the Board of Regents for Higher Education (BOR). There are three constituent units of CSCU: the four Connecticut state universities (CSU), the 12 Connecticut community colleges (CCC), and Charter Oak State College (COSC). As of the fall 2020 semester, the system serves more than 89,000 undergraduate and graduate students through noncredit, certificate, and degree programs.
To Apply: Applications will be reviewed as they are received and should include a cover letter and CV. You may apply directly at https://acesrch.applicantstack.com/x/detail/a21esjyskvcm
Apply by April 8 for best consideration.
Inquiries and nominations are treated confidentially and can be sent to Jennifer Muller, Managing Partner with Academic Career & Executive Search at: Jennifer@Acesrch.com or call 860-740-2600.
Notice of Nondiscrimination
The CSCU System does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religious creed, age, gender, gender identity or expression, national origin, marital status, ancestry, present or past history of intellectual disability, learning disability or physical disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information or criminal record.
The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies: Leah Glende, Manager of Diversity & Inclusion, 61 Woodland Street, Hartford, CT 06105, 860-723-0727, or by email at LGlende@commnet.edu.
The CSCU System is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, persons with disabilities, and veterans.