Part-Time Coordinator I, Lab
Commitment to Mission
This job carries with it the obligation to uphold the Mission of Lone Star College (LSC) in carrying out the duties of the position. A commitment to positive interpersonal behaviors, professional communication, diversity, integrity, leadership, stewardship, respect and accountability to LSC students and employees is essential.
- One LSC
- Student Focused
- Own It
- Advance Equity
- Cultivate Community
- Choose Learning
The Chronicle of Higher Education’s “Great Colleges to Work For” is designed to recognize colleges that have been successful in creating great workplaces and to further research and understanding of the factors, dynamics and influences that have the most impact on organizational culture at higher education institutions.
Lone Star College was recognized in five areas: Confidence in Senior Leadership; Diversity; Facilities, Workspace & Security; Job Satisfaction; and Work/Life Balance .
Campus Marketing Statement
Lone Star College-Houston North Greenspoint
Lone Star College offers high-quality, affordable academic transfer and career training education to 99,000 students each semester. LSC is training tomorrow’s workforce today and redefining the community college experience to support student success. Stephen C. Head, Ph.D., serves as chancellor of LSC, the largest institution of higher education in the Houston area with an annual economic impact of nearly $3 billion.
LSC, which consists of seven colleges, ten centers, two university centers, Lone Star Corporate College and LSC-Online, is continuously named Great Colleges to Work For by the Chronicle of Higher Education. To learn more, visit LoneStar.edu.
LSC-Houston North Greenspoint is a state-of-the-art, full-service location designed to serve the greater Greenspoint area. Its proximity to local businesses and public transportation has created a location ideal for working and non-traditional students. The facility offers a selection of day, evening and weekend credit courses, including university-transfer courses, certificates, computer/office skills, and developmental studies.
The location address is 250 N. Sam Houston Pkwy E., Houston, TX 77060.
PURPOSE AND SCOPE:
The PT Lab Coordinator coordinates all aspects of the laboratory experience for the biology classes, including evaluating, requesting and justifying budget funds, purchasing of all materials and supplies, maintaining an inventory of appropriate materials for each course, training the instructors as necessary on how to use the equipment or follow the protocols for each lab, directing the proper disposal of hazardous materials, assisting as required in the classroom, and coordinating lab schedules with instructors. He or She also supports the Geology and Physics departments by evaluating and justifying budgets, purchasing materials and supplies, training and assisting instructors as necessary on using equipment or protocols, maintaining their inventories, and coordinating their contracted services.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Prepare the labs that the professors request. Clean glassware and make all solutions for labs. Organize materials in prep area in order to maintain a clean, safe work environment. Reset labs for each new class that comes into the lab. Conduct setup and breakdown of labs and assist instructors as needed. Take down, clean, organize, and put away lab equipment.
- Collect and arrange lab materials, in accordance with requirements set by the lab manual and syllabi, and make them available to classes.
- Coordinate lab schedules and maintain constant communications with instructors concerning laboratory issues. Communicate with faculty and staff to maintain a schedule to ensure smooth transitions between labs.
- Ensure safety and good practice procedures.
- Evaluate new lab manuals (when applicable) and determine any new materials, supplies, equipment or training needed to ensure the success of the lab experience.
- Evaluate and justify budgets. Communicate budgetary concerns to management.
- Identify issues that arise due to inconsistencies or changes in curriculum and make necessary adjustments to lab requirements.
- Instruct and reinforce training in other lab assistants.
- Interact with online lab scheduling software in order to prepare proper labs. Update and schedule board to inform all lab workers of labs scheduled.
- Maintain a chemical inventory. Keep chemicals properly labeled and stored in a safe manner. Maintain inventory on educational materials necessary for labs. Purchase materials and supplies and maintain inventory (receiving, labeling, proper storage).
- Process biohazard materials and waste in accordance with state and federal safety laws.
- Set up and maintain Right-to-Know Centers and a chemical inventory/SDS.
- Update lab preparation sheets.
- Responsible for other related duties, as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Must be computer literate
- Safety record and safety consciousness
- Flexible and creative to perform multiple tasks simultaneously
- Ability to work with a diverse group of faculty and staff
The work is sedentary. Typically, the employee sits comfortably to do the work. However, there may be some walking; standing; bending; carrying of light items, such as papers, books, or small parts; or driving an automobile. No special physical demands are required to perform the work.
WORK SCHEDULE AND CONDITIONS:
- Equipment used includes, PC workstation running on a LAN in a Microsoft Windows environment, calculator, phone and other general office equipment
- Interface with internal and external contacts as needed to carry out the functions of the position
- Work is performed in a climate-controlled office with minimal exposure to safety hazards
- High school diploma or GED and at least 1 year of related work experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
Hourly Pay Rate is $14.85
Benefits Marketing Statement
By joining our top-notch institution, you will enjoy being a part of an organization that offers a supportive, collegial work environment, excellent work/life balance, tuition waiver, participation in a tax deferred retirement plan and more.
Go to the Job Search page, click on ‘My Activities’ at the top of the page. Under My Cover Letters and Attachments you will click on ‘Add Attachment.’ Please be sure to put the Job ID# in the title once you name your file for cover letters only, unless you attached your cover letter with your resume.
If you are applying for an Instructional position (i.e. Faculty, Adjunct Faculty, Instructor), please ensure you include the following to be considered: Resume/CV, Cover Letter, Teaching Philosophy, and unofficial transcripts.
You must limit your file name for any attachment to 40 characters or less.
How to Apply
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE ONLY
We will not accept application material received via fax, email, mail, or hand delivered.
Postings for part-time and adjunct positions are active for the academic year. By selecting the option to receive notifications on your profile, you will begin receiving electronic communication regarding new opportunities with Lone Star College (LSC).
If selected for an interview, a recruiter will contact you by phone, or email to schedule an interview.
Lone Star College participates in the E-Verify program, under which Lone Star College provides the federal government with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm that the employee is authorized to work in the United States.
More information on the E-Verify program is available at www.dhs.gov/E-Verify .
Lone Star College is an EEO Employer. All positions are subject to a criminal background check.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Part Time jobs in Houston
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Part Time jobs in Houston
- Biology & Life Sciences Not specified Part Time jobs in Houston
- Other Science & Technology Not specified Part Time jobs in Houston
- Administrative Not specified Part Time jobs in Houston