Professional Tutor (Part-Time, 9 month position)
Aurora University seeks talented staff and administrators who are passionate about supporting an inclusive community dedicated to the transformative power of learning.
Tutoring Areas of Emphasis at Aurora University: Academic Coaching, Biology/Chemistry, Math, Writing
Position Purpose: The Professional Tutor supports learning by assisting with academic strategies to support students’ academic success. As students strive to reach their academic goals, the main responsibility of a tutor is to help the student in becoming a more independent, engaged and confident learner. Tutors provide individual and/or group tutoring to students across a broad range of courses based on the tutor’s area of expertise. Tutors meet with students to clarify and review concepts taught in class, explain processes, provide tools to enhance their application and analyzation of course content. This is a 9-month position working approximately 20 hours per week on the main campus in the Academic Support Center.
Essential Job Functions:
Essential Job Requirements:
- Master's degree in appropriate discipline
- Experience in higher education strongly preferred
- Tutoring experience strongly preferred
- Able to utilize excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to listen with empathy and respect, communicate clearly, and convey courtesy, patience, sincerity and a desire to help.
- Able to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff and faculty, characterized by cooperation, flexibility, reliability, and personal responsibility.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Able to interact with diverse personalities and populations with respect and sensitivity.
- Proficient use of Microsoft Office and Zoom
- Evening and weekend hours will be required.
- This position does not work remotely.
- Sitting or standing at desk/worktable with student(s); moving about the office; moving about the campus.
Benefit-eligible positions offer excellent benefits including health, dental, life, vision, long term disability, a 403(b) retirement plan through TIAA, and tuition remission. Please send resume with cover letter and contact information for three references including name, telephone and email address.
347 South Gladstone Ave
Aurora, IL 60506
630-844-5650 - fax
firstname.lastname@example.org - email
Aurora University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.