Posting Number: SRGV4813
Number of Vacancies: Multiple
Location: Edinburg, Texas
Department: School of Medicine / Education and Academic Affairs
Scope of Job:
In a clinical setting, independently, consistently and accurately portray specific emotions, behaviors and disease symptoms while interacting with students in the health care field during simulated patient encounters designed to enable experiential learning and/or assessment of students' skills.
Description of Duties:
• Memorizes a case script detailing specific emotions, behaviors, and disease signs/symptoms for presentation during simulated learning situations.
• Assesses student behaviors using standardized measurement tools, and participates in group training and/or mentorship of entry-level standardized patients.
• Presents case information in a standardized manner, as elicited by students during simulated interactive patient history and/or medical examinations.
• Remains in a specific patient character as trained when responding to student questions.
• Accurately remembers encounters with students for the purpose of scoring student behaviors.
• Participates in group training and/or mentorship of entry-level standardized patients.
• Maintains confidentiality of information related to cases, student behaviors and feedback evaluations.
• Provides educationally constructive verbal feedback within a structured format, as appropriate to the position.
• Works varied hours on an on-call basis, as needed.
• Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
Direct supervision from assigned supervisor.
• Flexible scheduling.
• Ability to accurately and convincingly maintain a specified character as trained.
• Ability to work flexible hours on a scheduled on-call basis.
• Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
• Ability to recall case information, as cued by students in a role-play situation.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality of case and student information.
• Ability to understand and follow directions and incorporate trainer feedback.
• Ability to recall and accurately score student behaviors.
Use of standard office equipment.
• Must be able to: move all extremities without difficulty, step up and down from an exam table, and quickly change from a gown to clothing.
• Work is performed in an interior medical/clinical environment.
The Standardized Patient is interviewed and examined by learners as though they were that person in the doctor’s office, clinic, or emergency department, giving that patient’s history, and simulating their physical signs, such as pain or difficulty waking. No invasive examinations are performed; no medications are given; no sharps are used. Some disrobing may be required.
Physical Capabilities: n/a
Employment Category: Part-Time
Minimum Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Posted Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Position Available Date: 01/05/2021
Grant Funded Position: No
If Yes, Provide Grant Expiration Date:
It is the policy of The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley to promote and ensure equal employment opportunities for all individuals without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or protected veteran status. In accordance with the requirements of Title VII of the civil rights act of 1964, the title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, as amended, our University is committed to comply with all government requirements and ensures non discrimination in it’s education programs and activities, including employment.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Human Resources will not be held responsible for redacting any confidential information from the documents you attach with your application. The confidential information includes the following:
*Date of Birth
Please make sure that you omit this information prior to submission. We are advising that Human Resources will be forwarding your application to the department as per your submission. The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley reserves the right to discontinue accepting applications prior to the stated close date of this position, after meeting the posting requirement of three (3) calendar days.
If you have any questions, please visit our Careers site at https://careers.utrgv.edu for detailed contact information.
UTRGV is a distributed location institution and working location is subject to change based on need.
All UTRGV employees are required to have a criminal background check (CBC). Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Substitutions to the above requirements must have prior approval from the Chief Human Resources Officer.
To apply, visit https://careers.utrgv.edu/postings/26819