IRRIGATION AND GROUNDS TECHNICIAN
IRRIGATION AND GROUNDS TECHNICIAN
Posting Number: SRGV4789
Number of Vacancies: 1
Location: Edinburg, Texas
Department: Campus Facilities Operations
Scope of Job:
Responsible for assigned aspects of irrigation including repair, trouble shooting, maintenance, programming, pumps and pump stations, wiring, etc., to ensure safe, efficient and effective irrigation systems, as well as general grounds keeping, and other duties as assigned.
Description of Duties:
• Repairs existing drip and sprinkler systems.
• Keeps track of watering schedules, weather and water needs in all landscape situations.
• Removes old systems and recovers reusable equipment.
• Sets and maintains times on computer and electronic valve clocks; troubleshoots computerized electronic systems, irrigation controllers, solenoid valves, and heads of all types.
• Participates in preparing ground for planting and in planting, cultivating, fertilizing, watering and pruning flowers, shrubs and trees.
• Watches for pests, disease or other deteriorating agents and takes necessary steps for the eradication.
• Cleans and maintains tools, equipment, materials and supplies.
• Operates and prepares grounds care equipment.
• May instruct others in minor irrigation repairs.
• Operates tractors and trenchers to install/repair lines.
• May assist in coordination with other departments or outside contractors.
• Performs other general grounds keeping and maintenance duties as needed and requested by supervisor.
• May perform preventive maintenance and repairs on commercial lawn mowers, pesticide spray equipment and other landscape machinery used for general maintenance purposes.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
General supervision from assigned supervisor.
Direct supervision of assigned staff.
High school diploma or equivalent.
As condition of employment this position requires the applicant to be authorized to operate a University-Owned Vehicle for Official University Business. Per University of Texas System Policy 157, applicants will be subject to a motor vehicle record check for their most recent thirty-six (36) month history. Out of State Drivers are required to submit a 36-month history MVR from their prior State of residence(s).
Three (3) years of underground lawn sprinkler system repair and installation experience and experience in the care of Plants, trees and lawns. Knowledge of irrigation equipment, including repair, maintenance and programming.
Use of standard equipment related to the duties.
Needs to be able to successfully perform all required duties. Exposure to weather, hazardous mechanical equipment, and agricultural chemicals. Exposure to outside environments, hot, dry, wet, cold; some work in restricted spaces, exposure to dust and dirt, some duties and working conditions may create bodily strain and discomfort.
Must be physically able to perform duties described above. May occasionally lift heavy objects weighing up to 100 lbs. with or without assistance. Duties involve the lifting, pushing, and moving of heavy objects; digging, stooping, crawling, climbing, reaching, and other manual activities requiring great physical exertion. Danger of hazards and conditions inherent to the trade or assignment. In addition, this position may be required to come into work on weekends, holidays and in emergency situations (i.e., may be subject to “on-call” responsibilities). This position will be subject to a pre-employment physical.
Employment Category: Full-Time
Minimum Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Posted Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Position Available Date: 12/04/2020
Grant Funded Position: No
If Yes, Provide Grant Expiration Date:
It is the policy of The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley to promote and ensure equal employment opportunities for all individuals without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or protected veteran status. In accordance with the requirements of Title VII of the civil rights act of 1964, the title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, as amended, our University is committed to comply with all government requirements and ensures non discrimination in it’s education programs and activities, including employment.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Human Resources will not be held responsible for redacting any confidential information from the documents you attach with your application. The confidential information includes the following:
*Date of Birth
Please make sure that you omit this information prior to submission. We are advising that Human Resources will be forwarding your application to the department as per your submission. The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley reserves the right to discontinue accepting applications prior to the stated close date of this position, after meeting the posting requirement of three (3) calendar days.
If you have any questions, please visit our Careers site at https://careers.utrgv.edu for detailed contact information.
UTRGV is a distributed location institution and working location is subject to change based on need.
All UTRGV employees are required to have a criminal background check (CBC). Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Substitutions to the above requirements must have prior approval from the Chief Human Resources Officer.
To apply, visit https://careers.utrgv.edu/postings/27339