University of Idaho
Division/College: Col of Agricultural & Life Sciences
Employee Category: Exempt
Pay Range: $41,305 per year or higher depending on experience
Full/Part Time: Full Time
The incumbent for this position will be responsible for implementing research projects with Sheep, Beef and Dairy cattle. They will be responsible for supervising, training, evaluating and setting schedules for board appointed, temporary and student employees for ongoing research projects. This person will make sure all projects are in compliance with IACUC regulations and all proper paperwork is up to date and available. They will be responsible for implementing and maintaining research SOP's for animal sampling and husbandry while on a project. If/when there are no active large animal research projects, this employee will act as an assistant at any and all of the animal units at the Palouse Research, Extension and Education Center (PREEC).
• BS degree in Dairy Science, Animal Science or related field.
• Experience with maintenance and operation of livestock production equipment; computerized record keeping; basic research principles.
• Experience maintaining accurate records and managing feed and nutrient management activities.
• Experience working with diverse individuals; communicating effectively in writing; handling large animals; supervising and training others.
• MS degree in Dairy Science, Animal Science or related field plus at least 1 year of post-bachelor’s research experience.
• Experience and interest in research involving large animals.
• Experience with: large animals carrying human pathogens; maintenance and operation of livestock project/farm equipment and vehicles; basic research principles; safety practices necessary in handling animals and human pathogens; operation of a skid-steer loader, and loading and towing of livestock trailers.
• Working knowledge of sanitation procedures necessary in livestock care and handling large animal waste.
• Good verbal communication skills.
Physical Requirements & Working Conditions:
• Willingness and ability to lift, carry, and/or otherwise move items weighing up to 50 pounds.
Posting Number: SP002670P
Posting Date: 12/17/2020
Open Until Filled: Yes
First consideration given to those who apply by January 17, 2021.
Please note: to be considered, your “Letter of Qualification” must address EACH of the required qualifications, including pertinent education and/or experience.
In addition, to improve your ranking during the evaluation process, address as many of the Preferred Qualifications as possible. Information on a resume will not be accepted as a substitute for submitting a Letter of Qualification
Background Check: Applicants who are selected as final possible candidates must be able to pass a criminal background check.
To apply, please visit: jobs.uidaho.edu
University of Idaho is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer.